Ratings and Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Your ratings and reactions please. Keep it respectful even if you know everyone else is wrong.

Man of the match voting in the other thread.

This thread will lock about three days after the match so that the polls are fixed. Please start another to continue discussion of the game. 

The first half was as bad a 45 minutes of football as I've seen Villa play in the last 20 years. Southampton could have scored with every single attack, and it was absolutely absurd that we went in to half time with a 1-0 lead.

The second half  was a huge improvement, even though Southampton got the goal. I think the subs were incredibly questionable, it seemed like we'd consulted Alex McLeish for advice on subs, but we'll earn more points playing like we did in the last 45.

Sanchez is the shittest footballer I've ever seen and should never play for this club again.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, troon_villan said:

Sigh...another manager who doesn't know when to make subs.

Really?

I thought it was good nous to save the 3 till the end to eat up a bit of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

The first half was as bad a 45 minutes of football as I've seen Villa play in the last 20 years. Southampton could have scored with every single attack, and it was absolutely absurd that we went in to half time with a 1-0 lead.

The second half  was a huge improvement, even though Southampton got the goal. I think the subs were incredibly questionable, it seemed like we'd consulted Alex McLeish for advice on subs, but we'll earn more points playing like we did in the last 45.

Sanchez is the shittest footballer I've ever seen and should never play for this club again.

I agree with almost everything you posted there. But Sanchez just got Man of the Match on Setanta, so I wonder how they saw it so differently to you.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Not sure he had much of a choice with the subs. Both Gestede and Bacuna injured. Garde looked clearly agitated that he had to take Bacuna off and his only choice was Richardson. Adding Westwood to bolster the midfield was fine as that's where Gestede was playing anyway. The final sub was just to get another man on the pitch for a few mins.

• Like 1

Good point, we got better as it went on. We were ridiculously lucky to be level on the half hour but we plugged away - in the second half we were competitive and hopefully we can take a small foothold on Mt confidence out of this result.

Westwood sub was a bit odd, but actually worked - the Richardson sub was the only option he had. I'd like to have seen Sinclair off for Gabby or Traore a little earlier to stretch them, but overall I'll take this.

• Like 3

we got lucky no doubt about that but cant fault the effort. personally i thought okore was terrific. shocked sanchez got motm i thought he was pants. gana was far better

bizarre subs from garde but luckiy didnt back fire. shame we couldnt hold results were all in our favour