Villa Booed ON to the pitch

Butterfingers

Does anyone remember a game in the 70's when the team were booed as they came out of the tunnel?

It was either the third division days or just afterwards (in what would have been the old division 2)

The team came out in yellow (the away strip) for some reason, to be greeted by boos as they made their way to the Holte End. There was a gradual change to cheers as people began to realise that it was Villa and not the away team.

I can't remember why the team played in yellow that day but I've got a feeling it is because whoever we were playing had bought a kit similar to ours with them. If pushed, I'd say it was Blackburn at home when Neil Rioch scored twice but my memory is not what it was.

2 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

Does anyone remember a game in the 70's when the team were booed as they came out of the tunnel?

It was either the third division days or just afterwards (in what would have been the old division 2)

The team came out in yellow (the away strip) for some reason, to be greeted by boos as they made their way to the Holte End. There was a gradual change to cheers as people began to realise that it was Villa and not the away team.

I can't remember why the team played in yellow that day but I've got a feeling it is because whoever we were playing had bought a kit similar to ours with them. If pushed, I'd say it was Blackburn at home when Neil Rioch scored twice but my memory is not what it was.

italian under 21 friendly game.

I don't quite understand that and don't really want to.

nothing will change as a result of us taking any kind of action.

I was shocked watching that, how we allowed them to beat us......they had very little in my opinion.....we are another dimension of woeful.....in our present form we are no where close to being fit for this league.....as each week goes by in terms of results we are slowly getting worse.....we have not yet bottomed out.

I would not even begin to be bothered who is playing.....they are all shot, with the exception of Micah Richards.

Don't remember the booing incident at all.

I didn't even remember Neil Rioch playing any games for the first team, let alone score. But a glance at the records shows he did score twice in the 4-1 defeat of Blackburn in 71-2  - one of his only two appearances that season!

Can't see why Blackburn's kit would have caused us to change ours though. It would have been their usual blue and white wouldn't it? Shouldn't have clashed with claret 'n' blue.

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Don't remember the booing incident at all.

I didn't even remember Neil Rioch playing any games for the first team, let alone score. But a glance at the records shows he did score twice in the 4-1 defeat of Blackburn in 71-2  - one of his only two appearances that season!

Can't see why Blackburn's kit would have caused us to change ours though. It would have been their usual blue and white wouldn't it? Shouldn't have clashed with claret 'n' blue.

There was definitely a game around that time when the team, came out wearing the away kit (yellow) and were initially booed. These were the days when teams came out individually, not as they do together nowadays.

The only reason I thought it may have been against Blackburn is because I have a vision of a picture in the following programme of N. Rioch scoring and I thought he was in the yellow kit. I agree though that Blackburn should have been in their blue & white kit-Unless they too used an "away" kit at that time, like we did.

You're entitled to your opinion

It's a mess I admit but I think the boos should be reserved for the likes of Lerner, Fox & Reilley, not the people who have been thrown in at the deep end

Disagree, I think there are several players shirking and playing half hearted because of the rot at the top being an easy excuse, we have about 3 players who put their cock on the block every game the rest are cruising, bottling tackles and not taking responsibility, deserves booing

• Like 1

Â