The mondegreens (mis-heard lyrics) thread

mjmooney

A mondegreen is a mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new meaning.

Mondegreens are most often created by a person listening to a poem or a song; the listener, being unable to clearly hear a lyric, substitutes words that sound similar, and make some kind of sense.  American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term in her essay "The Death of Lady Mondegreen", published in Harper's Magazine in November 1954. The term was inspired by "...and Lady Mondegreen", a misinterpretation of the line "...and laid him on the green" from the Scottish ballad "The Bonnie Earl O' Moray".

link 

I'll start with Bob Dylan's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"... 

Actual lyric: "Take what you have gathered from coincidence" 

I thought it was: "Take what you have gathered from cold wind so dense" 

My future sister-in-law was in a nightclub once, and kept pointing into the distance while shouting along to 'Bad Moon Rising'. It was deeply peculiar, but upon getting closer to her, my partner realised she was actually singing (well, yelling really) 'there's a bathroom on the right'. Why she felt the need to point to it I'm not sure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

My future sister-in-law was in a nightclub once, and kept pointing into the distance while shouting along to 'Bad Moon Rising'. It was deeply peculiar, but upon getting closer to her, my partner realised she was actually singing (well, yelling really) 'there's a bathroom on the right'. Why she felt the need to point to it I'm not sure. 

She must have flushed with embarrassment when she found out?

• Like 1

Not really misheard, but after hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit possibly 1000 times I still have no idea what he sings in the chorus.  I think the word 'rhino' is in there so I just belt out random nonsense whenever it comes on the radio and I fancy a singalong.

Until last year I thought that these lyrics from Bat out of hell -

"I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, on a silver black phantom bike."

were in fact -

"I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, I'm a Cilla Black fan, on right"

For ages I thought that Cilla was a big in America based on that line.

Dido : "My tears don't fall, I'm wondering why I got out of bed at all."

James Blunt : "My life is brilliant. My love is pure. I saw an angel, of Adam Shaw."

40 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Not really misheard, but after hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit possibly 1000 times I still have no idea what he sings in the chorus.  I think the word 'rhino' is in there so I just belt out random nonsense whenever it comes on the radio and I fancy a singalong.

there is a Weird Al Yankovic parady out there somewhere , like the rest of his stuff it's amusing if you listen to 10 - 15 secs of it but anymore and you just want to gouge your ears out , or worse still listen to Queen to drown him out ..

but the gist of his version is   "What is this song all about?  Can't figure any lyrics out "

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

"Excuse me, while I piss the sky"

I was young...

That's a new one. I sung the more common "kiss this guy" as a fresh faced nipper in a band practice in my school days garnering rather strange looks from the other 3 until they relented and started pointing and laughing.

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Not a mondegreen but I do always substitute 'like the deserts menstruate' for 'like the deserts miss the rain' when listening to Everything but the Girl's Missing.

Always thought 'Young girl with eyes like potatoes' was a better fit than 'Young girl with eyes like the desert', in 'La Isla Bonita'.

• Like 1

Â