2016 Holiday Plans

Xela

Well, its that time again for my annual thread

So, what has everyone got planned for 2016?

I'm not going to make any bold predictions this year as best laid plans of mice and men often go awry

I would like to keep up my tradition of doing at least one new country per year as a minimum but aside form that, I'm not sure. Japan is still on the list as is Vienna for a weekend away, but we'll see. 

I want to take the family to Orlando and take in Disney and other attractions.

What's the most cost effective way to do it?

In school holidays, what time of year should I go?

Villa or resort? (Maybe 7 sharing)

Best things to see these days?

Best airline?

Anything else anyone can share.

Just started playing the main trip with my partners in crime ... Looking like South Africa and Cape Town to swim with Great Whites , then up to Rhodesia to see Victoria falls then over to Botswana and the Okavango Delta and then over to Madagascar

short trips I'm hoping to get to  Belarus and Serbia thisnyear

then also Iceland with the family  

the rest of the year I'll just play by ear ...

Plans so far.....

2 weeks backpacking around Morocco over new year, already been there a few times, but want to add Meknes, Rabat and Chefchaoen to the places i've been to.

3 Week trip around central and South/ South West Sri Lanka in March

Planning on cycling/wild camping the Scottish coastal road in May for 8 days in May

Hong Kong and Philippines in September.

Will add to this trip through the year with a few random trips around Europe and maybe Central Asia. 

Edited by chicovilla
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, chicovilla said:

Plans so far.....

2 weeks backpacking around Morocco over new year, already been there a few times, but want to add Meknes, Rabat and Chefchaoen to the places i've been to.

3 Week trip around central and South/ South West Sri Lanka in March

Planning on cycling/wild camping the Scottish coastal road in May for 8 days in May

Hong Kong and Philippines in September.

Will add to this trip through the year with a few random trips around Europe and maybe Central Asia. 

You must have a decent job to get that amount of time off work?

HK again... what draws you back there? 

Lucky to get around 50 days off per year - a mixture of annual holiday and time off in lieu due to working away from home.

My girlfriend is from Hong Kong and we see each other in UK, Hong Kong or when travelling to other places around the world (she is currently in UK for 6 months :))

Theres a lot more to Hong Kong than skyscrapers and shopping malls. Some amazing islands with great beaches, vibrant bars and restaurants and some of the best cuisine in the world. Also an ideal gateway to the rest of south east asia. 

16 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Already booked flights for Canada. Vancouver, Calgary - Banff National Park, Montreal and Toronto are booked in. 

did that this year, was brilliant, i did ottawa and quebec too and probably a little too much travelling in the end

14 hours ago, chicovilla said:

Lucky to get around 50 days off per year - a mixture of annual holiday and time off in lieu due to working away from home.

My girlfriend is from Hong Kong and we see each other in UK, Hong Kong or when travelling to other places around the world (she is currently in UK for 6 months :))

Theres a lot more to Hong Kong than skyscrapers and shopping malls. Some amazing islands with great beaches, vibrant bars and restaurants and some of the best cuisine in the world. Also an ideal gateway to the rest of south east asia. 

3 times to HK and barely left the main island! I do need to venture out more and see some of the amazing looking beaches and scenery. As good as propping up bars in LKF or Wanchai is, its not appreciating what HK has to offer!

14 hours ago, chicovilla said:

and Disneyland  :)

I took the train from HK to China in 2000 .. it stopped at the "border" and you had to take everything off the train , walk up some steps , go through an x-ray machine and immigration check back down the steps and get back on the same train and compartment you had just got out off ... some with the coach on the way back  .. Mrs H left a bag behind and was panicking that she's lost it and then we got back on the same coach and there her bag was

don't know if they still do that ?

Originally was planning South America.

Then we decided we'd do a load of european cities instead of one big holiday.

Then I spoke to my mates who are new fathers and it depressed me that their holiday plans were so **** boring. So I think we might look for something far away again and capitalise on not worrying about a flipping baby.

Jamaica, maybe.

My annual German football trip early next year.

Iceland for 5 days with the missus in Feb.

Tel Aviv for a week in June for a wedding.

And at least two stags that will be in Europe too, looking like Latvia and Croatia but not confirmed.

I'm never going to get to America am I?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Originally was planning South America.

Then we decided we'd do a load of european cities instead of one big holiday.

Then I spoke to my mates who are new fathers and it depressed me that their holiday plans were so **** boring. So I think we might look for something far away again and capitalise on not worrying about a flipping baby.

Jamaica, maybe.

South America you need a lot of time to do it justice ... it's one of the reasons I've not done part 2 yet as it's difficult for me to get away for 15 - 20 days in one stretch .

Even if you just picked Argentina , you have Iguassu falls and Patagonia to consider , plus the ferry for a day / 2 day trip to Uruguay ( as you do )   ... and that's before you think about Brazil seeing as you are in the neighbourhood ....

I liked Jamaica but if I had to pick a Caribbean Island then I'd put Barbados first , so if you haven't been give that a look ... went with the kids and hired a car and we drove about the island without a care in the world , some interesting stuff  (impressive cave complex ) to see as well as the obligatory swim with turtles and island cruise  ... we used to hop on the bus to the nearest town and have dinner out rather than at the hotel .....  I'm not so sure I'd do that in Jamaica

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

My annual German football trip early next year.

And at least two stags that will be in Europe too, looking like Latvia and Croatia but not confirmed.

East Cost is a weekend trip ( well a long week end) ... book Monday off work  get  a Thursday night flight , ring in sick on Friday  , and be back in the office on Tuesday before your chair has even got cold  ... simples  and only one day out your annual leave

44 minutes ago, Wainy316 said: My annual German football trip early next year.

East Cost is a weekend trip ( well a long week end) ... book Monday off work  get  a Thursday night flight , ring in sick on Friday  , and be back in the office on Tuesday before your chair has even got cold  ... simples  and only one day out your annual leave

Well my east coast aim was to do Toronto, Niagra Falls, Boston, New York, Philadelphia in one trip so that'd require a couple of weeks I reckon.

59 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

South America you need a lot of time to do it justice ... it's one of the reasons I've not done part 2 yet as it's difficult for me to get away for 15 - 20 days in one stretch .

Even if you just picked Argentina , you have Iguassu falls and Patagonia to consider , plus the ferry for a day / 2 day trip to Uruguay ( as you do )   ... and that's before you think about Brazil seeing as you are in the neighbourhood ....

I liked Jamaica but if I had to pick a Caribbean Island then I'd put Barbados first , so if you haven't been give that a look ... went with the kids and hired a car and we drove about the island without a care in the world , some interesting stuff  (impressive cave complex ) to see as well as the obligatory swim with turtles and island cruise  ... we used to hop on the bus to the nearest town and have dinner out rather than at the hotel .....  I'm not so sure I'd do that in Jamaica

We were looking at Peru in SA, but I think we've decided against that now as, like you said, you really need quite a long time and to travel around a lot to make the most of it.

Will check out Barbados, cheers.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

We were looking at Peru in SA, but I think we've decided against that now as, like you said, you really need quite a long time and to travel around a lot to make the most of it.

Will check out Barbados, cheers.

Well just in case  :)

Peru highlights I'd say  you need 2 or 3 days in the Amazon basin (  Puerto Maldonado )

then Cusco  2 or 3 days ... if you go to Machu Picchuby train but  if you hike the Inca trail you'll need longer  ...

couple of days in Lima and then you can get a rather decent coach to the Nasca lines ( reclining seats , food and drink )   .. allow a couple of days there as you can go and see the Inca mummies as well ( we dropped a blunder there as we only found out about the mummies after we booked the whole trip and I couldn't manoeuvre enough to get them in )

Lan Peru fly the triangle  Lima  - Puerto Maldonado   - Cusco so getting between the 3 is easy  , we did it with an airpass so look out for that on their website

If you want a rough idea of what to expect then there are a few pics here from my 18 days whirlwind tour around the top of SA  , but it covers the Peru leg

(Mexico , Peru , Ecuador , Galapagos Isles , Venezuela in case you were wondering :) )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â