Midweek football 23/26 November

andykeenan

I think, given the couple of previous seasons they've had, United fans should shut up whilst they're doing well.

Another season or two back at this level and then they can start having a moan about style of play.

also the revisionism that Fergie would have coasted through this group is bollocks. twice in his last few seasons he couldnt get out of the group and have lost to such great teams as Cluj, Basel, Copenhagen and Celtic in his time

Harry Kane scoring for the sixth game in a row for Spurs. He got a hat trick at Bournemouth and a brace against West Ham in that run so it's nine goals in six games.  I think that makes up for the goal drought he started the season with, right? 

Amazed how strong the line up Spurs put out tonight...Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, core first 11 players there.

To me the Chelsea game is far more important, win that and they've got a great chance of top 4 with the momentum they're building.

Even if they lost tonight they still have a home game v Monaco to qualify from.

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Amazed how strong the line up Spurs put out tonight...Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, core first 11 players there.

To me the Chelsea game is far more important, win that and they've got a great chance of top 4 with the momentum they're building.

Even if they lost tonight they still have a home game v Monaco to qualify from.

Seems a bit weird but if everybody is feeling fit and playing well then maybe the momentum is more important to them at the moment.  

Top four for Spurs is huge though, they don't have the resources of the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool but you'd feel that this season is a season where they must capitalise on Chelsea's poor form. Their first XI is as good as anything in the league at the moment, but it's a squad game and they don't have much strength in depth.

It will be interesting to see if Pochettino is backed in January, Spurs must have some money in the bank because their net spend in the past five or six years has been basically zero. 

^^ they wont have "much" to spend. Building new stadium and will be in debt. Ill be amazed if they spend much, pretty sure Levy is happy just finishing 6th or better in the next few years. Ill be surprised (guesswork) if levy wants to invest when all thats going to happen next year is chelsea & co outspend them massively and itll be a struggle to maintain champs league position.

tottenham are going to become Arsenal 2.0 for the next few years. "cheap" foreign buys and emphasis on youngsters whilst being a selling club until stadium debt is paid off. Just investing enough to maintain 6th - 4th

Edited by gharperr

It is an interesting period for Spurs no question. No one anticipated Chelsea falling off the cliff so after a slow start from Spurs they've suddenly got a great chance. Any knows from my posts I'm not a huge fan of them but they're good to watch currently with the midfield of Ali-Dembele. 

Problem will be if they get a few injuries and have to give starts to Mason, Bentaleb, Lamela etc.

Think they need to seize the chance now as I can't see them challenging for top 4 when they're playing at Milton Keynes for a bit.

As much as I'm loathe to use it "in the premier league era" we've still finished top 6 a fair number of times imcluding in recent times and not just in the 90s.

Spurs didn't finish top 6 for 15 years did they?

With trophies it's much of a muchness, SPurs have won 2 league cups in last 20 years, nothing else and same as us. Everton have won 1 FA cup in last 30 years. Man. City...well we all know their trophy drought before their world turned upside down.

I would say through gritted teeth Spurs's location of London gives them a bigger profile so they can attract more fans across the country.

Pointless comparing us to them now with how we're run...we've been left behind big time and that gets reflected in the finishing position season in season out. You're right, in last 5 years we probably haven't spent that much less than likes of Spurs and Everton, just so many wrong transfer selections in the 8-10m range. Ireland, N'zogiba and this summer's collection.

whats the point though (VC first post)? They will only be able to seize it for 1 year as they will never be able to compete on netspend + wages whilst being in debt. (obv from a fan perspective you hope they would, although a lot of spurs fans are happy with the plan...but from a business POV its different). No point spending a lot of money which leads to you taking longer to get out of debt and longer to legitimately challenge for champs league + titles for one year in champs league now. 

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

cheap? their top 4 record signings have been in last 2 years

c'mon. bale money obviously skewed this a lot and it was a year after 3 of those signings happened that confirmation of stadium is being built. "cheap" is obviously relative to teams around/above them.

Edited by gharperr

It feels weird saying this, but they really need to boost their midfield options. 1 injury or suspension and they're playing Ryan Mason in there, and no DM other than Dier. Selling Capoue and Stambouli was kind of dumb. But they're great to watch atm, unbeaten since that Kyle Walker own goal on the opening day.

On 11/25/2015, 10:04:51, Zatman said:

I think United fans are absolute shocking, team is 2nd in the league and still in Europe yet they complain as if they have some divine right to play like Barcelona or Real Madrid. lot of rose tinted glassed when it comes to Fergie style of football from a lot of people. If they want to see real pain they should watch Villa

also have to say Schneiderlein is really not good enough at this level either is Depay but he can probably grow into role

At the same time, if I had a manager who has spent £5billion in the space of 12 months, I'd be wanting better too. He plays crap football, struggles to win games they should dominate and they've looked pretty bad in a very mediocre Champions League group.

but thats the thing they always look mediocre going forward in Champions League group stage under Fergie

2012/13 got 9 goals in a group with Cluj and Braga

2011/12 couldnt get out of a group with Benfica and Basel

2010/11 7 goals in a group with Rangers and Bursaspor

Its a myth that United were some sort of attacking powerhouse in Europe under Fergie

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It feels weird saying this, but they really need to boost their midfield options. 1 injury or suspension and they're playing Ryan Mason in there, and no DM other than Dier. Selling Capoue and Stambouli was kind of dumb. But they're great to watch atm, unbeaten since that Kyle Walker own goal on the opening day.

Start of the season they were playing Dier-Mason-Bentaleb so they could revert back to that although imo that was one of the main causes of kane struggling to score as that trio collectively can't get the ball forward quickly enough and up to support him.

With Dembele and Ali they can.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Seems a bit weird but if everybody is feeling fit and playing well then maybe the momentum is more important to them at the moment.  

Top four for Spurs is huge though, they don't have the resources of the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool but you'd feel that this season is a season where they must capitalise on Chelsea's poor form. Their first XI is as good as anything in the league at the moment, but it's a squad game and they don't have much strength in depth.

It will be interesting to see if Pochettino is backed in January, Spurs must have some money in the bank because their net spend in the past five or six years has been basically zero. 

They have a lot of strength in depth in midfield to be fair. Son Heung-min looks a terrific footballer.

Â