Game of the Year 2015

Chindie

The release schedule is starting to wind down again so a good time to look back on the years releases.

I think it's been a pretty good year and we've had a handful of genuinely top level releases, probably putting last year to shame.

Witcher 3, Batman, Metal Gear, Fallout, Bloodbourne...

Rocket league.

They've created a fun concept and executed it perfectly with an outstanding consumer friendly approach to DLC.

Runner up would be Fallout. A hell of a game with hundreds of hours of content but there are too many minor flaws for it to surpass Rocket League,

witcher 3 for me, never played witcher games before and loved it, piled around 200 hours in to it, probably benefited from a quiet release window meaning i didnt rush it and spent months on it

MGS is close but it was a slow start and not great end IMO, rocket league ive played a fair bit but just by myself rather than getting fully immersed in it like some, it is a cracking game, for what it is (basically an interactive movie) i really enjoyed the order

harsh to say "disappointment" of the year because i didnt get on with dark souls but i struggled with bloodborne (surprised no one has said that yet)

Has to be Fallout, as good (and big) as Witcher was it just doesn't have the depth of a Bethesda game.

Metal Gear was brilliant too and Bloodborne raised my heart rate like no game ever.

Honourable mention to Rocket League but I don't think it's fair to compare it to those types of games.

It'll be The Witcher 3 for me. I just feel it's taken storytelling, particularly side quest storytelling to a level beyond anything I've seen before. For such a large game, It's unbelievable how engaging it is and how it keeps wowing you the further you advance. It's set a precedent for future games of this genre and hope it's expanded even further with their next game, Cyberpunk 2077.

Pillars of Eternity for me. It'll be one of those classic RPGs that I get the urge to have a fresh play through every couple of years. In a year in which I've also played Fallout 4(admittedly I'm not done with it yet) and The Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity is by far the best RPG I've played, and it's not even close.

Heroes of the Storm is a close runner up for my GotY, just beating Rocket League in my Game of the Year category of "**** caring about story or progression, I've just got half an hour to jump in and play something". They've taken that Dota/League of Legends formula, simplified it by taking out a lot of annoying mechanics, and put their own spin on it by adding maps with different objectives, coupled with all of the Blizzard characters from other games, it's by far my favourite moba.

Edited by Davkaus

I've now reached the point where I'm thinking about Fallout 4 when I'm not playing it which is always a good sign but the front runner for me is still MGSV.  Yes, MGSV ran out of steam a bit in act two but those sandbox moments are second to none. 

Â