Weekends football 20/22 November

andykeenan

When Brendan Rodgers was sacked I was surprised the amount in the press who were saying this is a poor Liverpool squad.

To me get Benteke, Sturridge, Coutinho and Firmino all fit at the same time and that's as good if not better forward options than what Man. United have who'll comfortably finish top 4. Better than Spurs aswell.

Yeah their midfield and defence ain't great but sure Klopp will get a few in from Germany if needs be like Gundogen. 

Leicester clear at the top. Compared with our predicament, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. Honestly I'm quite glad that someone is breaking the mould, temporarily at least, even if it is Leicester ****-cheese-and-onion-bastard City.

• Like 1

No issue with Leicester being up there. People have called for years for an unheralded side to be up for the top of the prem so can't quite understand why would people take offence at a non-descript midlands team even if they were gobbing off about Veretout in the summer (given how the season are panning out we look the deluded ones at the minute).

I was actually talking to my Dad about this when we were trying not to watch our game today and posed him the question: What would've been our reaction if we'd woken up in the summer to news Ranieri had been appointed our manager.

We both agreed it would've been similar to when Houllier was appointed, manager with pedigree but way past it. Yet here is Ranieri winning week after week. Fair play to him, I've always quite liked him.

On a general theme it does feel really open at the top of the prem this season. Man. City have the best 11 and squad yet they're hardly invincible and couldn't even beat us. Arsenal start dropping points when the pressure starts building. Man. United can grind out results but I don't think they're strong enough in key areas over a 60 game season and Chelsea are miles off and won't be in contention.

It feels that open that Spurs or Liverpool stringing 3-4 wins together will have them right at the top. Normally 90 points wins the league but could be as low as 80 points this season.

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

No issue with Leicester being up there. People have called for years for an unheralded side to be up for the top of the prem so can't quite understand why would people take offence at a non-descript midlands team even if they were gobbing off about Veretout in the summer (given how the season are panning out we look the deluded ones at the minute).

I was actually talking to my Dad about this when we were trying not to watch our game today and posed him the question: What would've been our reaction if we'd woken up in the summer to news Ranieri had been appointed our manager.

We both agreed it would've been similar to when Houllier was appointed, manager with pedigree but way past it. Yet here is Ranieri winning week after week. Fair play to him, I've always quite liked him.

On a general theme it does feel really open at the top of the prem this season. Man. City have the best 11 and squad yet they're hardly invincible and couldn't even beat us. Arsenal start dropping points when the pressure starts building. Man. United can grind out results but I don't think they're strong enough in key areas over a 60 game season and Chelsea are miles off and won't be in contention.

It feels that open that Spurs or Liverpool stringing 3-4 wins together will have them right at the top. Normally 90 points wins the league but could be as low as 80 points this season.

Just to clarify, I was trying to say that I'm happy they're are top, but without expressing too much pleasure at the success of one of our 'rivals'.

It does show you how quickly things can change in football, wasn't so long ago they were in league 1 and like many clubs have bounced back stronger.

I don't want relegation but sometimes something drastic like that just has to happen to wipe the slate clean although our finances will certainly take a hammering. But again teams like Leicester and Southampton have had admin and lived just about to tell the tale.

We'll probably go down but we won't be sh*** forever.....I hope.

Kane is one of my favourite players ATM. So good. And he has that moment of retardation every other game which makes you think 'what the **** was that?!?!' But he's a joy to watch tbf.

He's going to get 20+ goals again ain't he. Very impressive

Edited by gharperr

There is lovely balance in their midfield atm. Dier-Dembele-Ali, lovely balance in there and helps Lamela is suspended aswell as Son is better.

Just think start of the season they were playing Dier-Bentaleb-Mason, far too defensive and not really that good, might explain why they couldn't win the game.

Re Coquelin...what did I say in the summer about Wenger thinking key players would never get injured and they'd all play 60 games. I reckon Schnderlein would've signed for them over Man. United yet Wenger wasn't interested and now will have to play one of Arteta or Flamini there for the xmas period. 

Â