Left Back

Grasshopper

I think Richardson has become far too much of a scapegoat and has unfairly become the punchline to all discussions Villa.

He has had bad games and he has had good games, but under the previous few managers, who hasnt. Benteke, Delph, even, whisper it, Amavi, have all had shockers in the past - and they were in their natural positions.

He is the next natural choice for left back and he will be played and we should give him 100% support. He has never lacked in effort and I am curious to see how he performs in a more structured and disciplined team with clear instructions from a proper manager for every scenario during a game - when to push on, when to drop back, who is filling in for him when out of position etc.

He is a fairly disciplined guy and player so I think he will respond to this type of management rather than the Sherwood "just go out and play football" crap

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SikhInTrinity said:

I think Saturday, Richardson will play, however with Coleman and Deulofeu on that side, I really fear us on that side of the pitch.

Same here. I think in tough away fixtures like Everton we ought to go with more of a defensive full back. Crespo would be my choice with Hutton on the right so we have more of a solid back line. Then counter attack with the pace we have (like the good old days). 

If we play Richardson then we need a second player who can double up and cover him down that flank.

Grealish and Sinclair don't track back, so I don't see how it can work. Unless Gana or Sanchez cover?

Richardson has had a few ok defensive displays where he has got a good tackle in or stopped the cross down the flank, but he goes on runs forward where he nearly always loses possession quickly leaving a huge gap behind him.

I feel he will start though as Crespo, Bacuna and Hutton are not left footed and the latter two have been crap in that position - not sure on Illori

Cissokho will come back in Jan hopefully but until then i fear Garde will have his work cut out even more.

On 17/11/2015, 10:03:27, lexicon said:

I don't remember him really having a 'good' game. I remember him either being a 6 or a 4, depending on mistakes. 

I'd be absolutely slating him up to it but in the semi final he was outstanding. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I'd be absolutely slating him up to it but in the semi final he was outstanding.

Will always be a legend for me, just for that header off the line... a match winning defensive header and no mistake. Richardson, bobble or not, will deserve his chance to play (left back or wherever) the same as with any other player under this manager. Whoever is picked, let's not get on his back after five minutes... let's just get behind the team now. So much to play for...

CTFO...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

Will always be a legend for me, just for that header off the line... a match winning defensive header and no mistake. Richardson, bobble or not, will deserve his chance to play (left back or wherever) the same as with any other player under this manager. Whoever is picked, let's not get on his back after five minutes... let's just get behind the team now. So much to play for...

CTFO...

It was Gerrard as well. Gerrard, the aging hero of the kop, Gerrard, who's destiny was to play in the final on his birthday. The connection was perfect, he could do no more. It was to be out of his hands though, denied by Richardson and his stacked barnet

• Like 2

Richardson pretty much is the embodiment of the useless full back. He's not good at defending, and not  good at going forward. While he is slightly (maybe) better at defending than Amavi, he is way inferior at attacking. And while sligltly better going forward than Cissokho, he is much worse at defending.

Edited by WooJung

Â