Brazil- the greatest modern myth in Football?

VillaChris

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Did the OP compare Willian to David Beckham? 

In so much as when Willian plays wide it's as a wide midfielder e.g. he can tuck in if required centrally, he's not an up and down the line wide player in the mould of a Lucas Moura or indeed Douglas Costa.

Think when I made the thread it was at the height of Willian scoring a free kick for Chelsea seemingly every week so that's why I probably got carried away with the Beckham comparison.

Fair one. I mean, Beckham was a phenomenal footballer over a long period of time, yes world class. Willian has been decent for a bit, not world class. But I take your general point. 

Agree with the main point. Brazil are toast for the time being, a million miles away from the myth. 

• 4 months later...

70 minutes gone and 0-0 vs 10 man South Africa. this is one medal they never won and sacrificed Copa America by keeping NEymar for this tournament

Felipe Anderson, Neymar, Gabriel Jesus all startng here as well

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That's Gabriel barbosa he's been a wonderkid for about 3 years now and no ones taken the plunge, was linked to arsenal earlier on in the summer 

he is still only 19

On 04/08/2016 at 21:31, Zatman said:

70 minutes gone and 0-0 vs 10 man South Africa. this is one medal they never won and sacrificed Copa America by keeping NEymar for this tournament

Felipe Anderson, Neymar, Gabriel Jesus all startng here as well

They won't abandon hope just yet, their colonial masters stunk the group phases out at Euro 2016 and ended up winning the bloody thing.

0-0 against Iraq overnight, face table topping Denmark in the final group game. Will be out if they lose, and a draw may not be enough either.

• 7 months later...

Brazil been much better last year and Tite has done lots of good work already but just had a chuckle that their CB partnership at the world cup is likely to be Thiago Silva and Marquinhos.

Both fell to pieces tonight under pressure so could be another 7-1 on the cards.

• Like 1

Brazil have kept 4 clean sheets in a row with Miranda and Marquinhos at the back. I think that will be partnership for tournament. Silva has really gone backwards in last season or 2 but Miranda is much better for me

was underrated at Atletico

Yes Miranda is a no nonsense type.

It's interesting look at Brazil's defensive options....at the time of the World cup Dani Alves will be 35, Miranda and Thiago Silva both 33, Felipe Luis also 33 and Marcelo 30.

Marquinhos the only one under 30 from their first choice players.

Now they're all but qualified I'm surprised Tite hasn't introduced some of their Olympic defenders into the squads. Need to be careful it isn't an O.A.P defence at the World cup.

When words really aren't sufficient . . .

Outrage after Brazil football team signs goalkeeper convicted of killing girlfriend

The violence and misogyny of Brazilian society was highlighted on Monday when a second-division club signed up a goalkeeper who was convicted of murdering his girlfriend and having her body fed to his dogs.

Amid smiles and handshakes, Boa Esporte unveiled a two-year contract for Bruno Fernandes de Souza, who was released from jail last month pending an appeal.

The announcement drew anger from the family of the victim, Eliza Samudio, and groups campaigning against the high levels of gender-based violence in Brazil.

“Women are outraged and so are the general public. It is as if he had gone unpunished,” wrote Djamila Ribeiro, a political philosopher and feminist activist on the UOL website.

Three sponsors withdrew their support from the team in protest at the decision. Hackers posted denunciations on the homepage of the team.

But many football fans applauded the return of one of the country’s most popular players, despite the gruesome crimes he committed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/13/brazil-football-bruno-fernandes-de-souza-murder-girlfriend

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

When words really aren't sufficient . . .

Outrage after Brazil football team signs goalkeeper convicted of killing girlfriend

The violence and misogyny of Brazilian society was highlighted on Monday when a second-division club signed up a goalkeeper who was convicted of murdering his girlfriend and having her body fed to his dogs.

Amid smiles and handshakes, Boa Esporte unveiled a two-year contract for Bruno Fernandes de Souza, who was released from jail last month pending an appeal.

The announcement drew anger from the family of the victim, Eliza Samudio, and groups campaigning against the high levels of gender-based violence in Brazil.

“Women are outraged and so are the general public. It is as if he had gone unpunished,” wrote Djamila Ribeiro, a political philosopher and feminist activist on the UOL website.

Three sponsors withdrew their support from the team in protest at the decision. Hackers posted denunciations on the homepage of the team.

But many football fans applauded the return of one of the country’s most popular players, despite the gruesome crimes he committed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/13/brazil-football-bruno-fernandes-de-souza-murder-girlfriend

Forgive me for sounding stupid but doesnt the fact he was released on appeal render him innocent of the alleged crime? If so then i have no problem at all with him being signed. Same with ched Evans. 

Edit: PENIDING an appeal. Wow, thats mental. And so wrong its disgusting. As u were...

Edited by One For The Road

On 15/11/2015 at 11:42, VillaJ100 said:

a country with a very developed football infrastructure like England only get say 1 in 6 world cups. 

Isn't it more like every 100 years or so, so 1 in 25. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Brazil qualified. Neymar scores again. 52 in 77 according to Wiki.

Will break 100 goals comfortably, cannot see him going down the usual Brazilian path of putting on weight and enjoying life.

Only just turned 25 too.  Unreal.

Fantastic footballer. Now 25 behind Pele who will always be the GOAT to me but Neymar will surpass him for goals and be thought of as one of their greats.

Think Brazil will win the world cup in Russia.

Edited by PaulC

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Think Brazil will win the world cup in Russia.

dunno, they need a good draw, neymar to have a player of the tournament spell and for me more youth to have a great 18 months, marquinhos, coutinho, casemiro, firmino, jorge, fabinho, lucas moura, gabriel jesus, gabriel barbosa etc at the moment there are still too many bang average older players in the squad, diego and paulinho were in the last one

based on the brief bit of jesus i saw at city him and neymar up front could be brilliant

Â