England vs France

The_Rev

Seems weird starting a new thread just to say that the England vs France game scheduled for Tuesday at Wembley has been postponed due to tonight's awful events in Paris but for the sake of clarity it has.  L'Equipe are reporting that French FA spokesman Philippe Tournon has confirmed the game will not go ahead. (link - French)

English and French FA now confirm that the game will take place.  Probably be a subdued one, hopefully they get to make a public gesture to the victims of the attacks in Paris before the game when the world will be watching.  I wonder if the English crowd will join in with the singing of La Marseillaise? We don't know the words but everybody knows the tune and can join in that way. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

O.k the French want it to go ahead so I respect their wishes, hopefully the FA haven't put any pressure on them with it being at Wembley and them needing to pay the bills.

I just think in times like this you need time to think and grieve and constantly playing football games isn't always the way forward. Is Lassana Diarra in any fit state to play a game for Football for example?

28 minutes ago, Bradd92 said:

Yeah i just read it's going ahead again, madness.

To disrupt every day lives means the terrorists win.

The best way to beat terrorism is to carry on as normal and not be scared.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Did you think we should've played at Swansea hours after Gary Speed died when many players on both sides knew him or played with him?

Did you think Cameroon should've played that final after Marc Viven Foe did? That remains to me the most insensitive decision in football in modern times.

I think French should be given time to grieve, I just don't think their players will be that up for it and that's what England want from these games, competitive tests. Playing it sometime next year, maybe just before the Euros as a charity game to help some of the victims families seems more logical to me.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Did you think we should've played at Swansea hours after Gary Speed died when many players on both sides knew him or played with him?

Did you think Cameroon should've played that final after Marc Viven Foe did? That remains to me the most insensitive decision in football in modern times.

Neither of those things are terrorist acts so are completely irrelevant to the point me and Oaks are making..

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think French should be given time to grieve, I just don't think their players will be that up for it and that's what England want from these games, competitive tests. Playing it sometime next year, maybe just before the Euros as a charity game to help some of the victims families seems more logical to me.

Well, it's up to the French isn't it? If they want to play the game, who are we to say 'no no, we can't possibly, you should stay at home mourning . . .'

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, it's up to the French isn't it? If they want to play the game, who are we to say 'no no, we can't possibly, you should stay at home mourning . . .'

Of course but they originally postponed it so wonder what the U turn was prompted by.

Â