Mobile site with mobile data unusable - ads

fightoffyour

Question

Recently when I've been browsing the site on mobile using data (wifi is fine), when I click on a topic after a few seconds the page is taken over by adverts redirecting the page. It happens on every topic, and browsing back to the topic is not even possible. It is rendering the site on mobile data completely unusable.

15 answers to this question

Thanks, but temporarily installing another browser means we can tell whether it's your browser or not. No-one is questioning your brand loyalty.

It makes no sense that it only happens on mobile. Sounds like your mobile network is piggy backing the ads.

I have this problem also. I installed chrome and the same thing happened. I have another browser on my phone (puffin or something) and it didn't do it. Disabling Javascript in Safari stopped it from happening. When it happens, it always seems to flash up an Amazon Prime advert banner before the redirect. Not sure if that helps at all!

Sounds like there is a problem with one of the ad providers when accessing via your mobile networks. It would be interesting to know if you are both on the same network.

VT doesn't serve different ads based on network connection type (as it can't tell what kind of connection you have).

It must be that, I hadn't given it a thought as I always just use mobile data (as it's unlimited and usually 4G) so I have just tried accessing VT while on WiFi and that stops the problem. Interesting. I'm on 3 by the way. Can anything be done my end or is it purely a 3 issue?

As annoying as I know it sounds, it will fix itself. These things happen with ads from time to time.

As Darren says, you could try Tapatalk. Another option is visiting the "Store" link at the top of the page and choosing an "Ad free" package, which you can do for just a month.

Interesting. Are any of you prepared to try and navigate their customer service? Unfortunately I don't think you'll have much luck:( 

It's likely to fix itself at some point. It's likely that whatever is causing this means that VillaTalk isn't getting any revenue when it happens, but I don't have a contract with your network so I don't have any recourse. All I can offer is taking the "advert free" package in the VillaTalk store - you can just buy a month.

Sorry.

Â