Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Dammit, as soon as things get exciting again, there's a break.

Oh well, at least this will give Remi a nice stretch of time to really work with the players and I'll be incredibly interested to see how we come out playing at Goodison. 

Something needs to be done with our forward situation, maybe just try Kozak? Or Sinclair upfront, they both did well in preseason and early on. With two strikers and two good crossers of the ball on the wings, maybe we can start at LEAST putting some shots on goal.

Guzan

Hutton Richards Clark Amavi

Gil Sanchez Gana Veretout

Kozak/Sinclair Ayew

• Like 1

Lukaku is in good form, as is Delofeu. This is going to be a very tough game. Today's performance has given me hope though! I'd play Gestede with Ayew for a bit of power mixed with guile up against Stones and Mori.

If Sanchez can do a job on Barkely and Gil plays like he did today we have a chance.

Would play the same 11 with Gestede for Sinclair (nothing against Scott, just felt we lacked a focal point first half today which let us down after good build up play).

I'd stick with the same formation. I'm pretty sure he was playing a 4-1-4-1 when we lost possession and quickly broke into a 4-3-3 when in attack.

I'd be tempted to start Bacuna ahead of Sinclair though. No matter where he is on the pitch he seems to get chances to create and to score.

• Like 4

We have to treat every game as a must win , like its the last game of the season. No good waiting for the "easy games" to try and get some points.

I think we will beat Everton , they won't expect the new Villa to turn up. 3-1 to us , Ayew and Veretout to score .

Guzan

Hutton - Richards - Clark - Amavi

Sanchez

Gil - Gana - Veretout - Ayew

Gestede

I think i'd go with this. Ayew was unplayable at times cutting inside against tottenham and I think he is surprisingly effective at winning the ball as well as his superb work-rate. Also I think Gestede could possibly cause Stones and Mori real problems in the air where they are both not very strong in that department. However for the first time in a long time I feel confident that whoever the manager picks will be the best team to go there and hopefully (with a bit of luck) get a good result.

Edited by SeanVilla
  • Like 2

First priority for me would be a clean sheet. We need to not get beat, to pick a point at least and use it as a build block.

If we do that the goals and wins will come but we need to build confidence from a solid base.

A point at Everton and beat Watford and things will look very different.

• Like 2

First priority for me would be a clean sheet. We need to not get beat, to pick a point at least and use it as a build block.

If we do that the goals and wins will come but we need to build confidence from a solid base.

exactly this , I'd take a score draw to take in to the Watford game and hopefully things will look less drab from then on.

exactly this , I'd take a score draw to take in to the Watford game and hopefully things will look less drab from then on.

I think Remi would be looking at just such a tactic too. He said after the Citeh game that he wasn't expecting us to score many goals in that game, seemingly meaning he set us up to not lose the game. Unusual for us, this didn't necessarily mean that we'd be under siege for the entire game as we've become accustomed to. In fact, we had 51% possession in the first half but obviously City moved up the gears in the second.

Against Everton, I think Garde will see a good opportunity to get at least a point and will again aim not to lose the game.

• Like 1

Guzan

Sanchez

Gestede

I think i'd go with this. Ayew was unplayable at times cutting inside against tottenham and I think he is surprisingly effective at winning the ball as well as his superb work-rate. Also I think Gestede could possibly cause Stones and Mori real problems in the air where they are both not very strong in that department. However for the first time in a long time I feel confident that whoever the manager picks will be the best team to go there and hopefully (with a bit of luck) get a good result.

That lineup looks pretty decent, actually

• Like 1

I had a dream

it was

Guzan

Bacuna Richards Clark Amavi

Sanchez

Gil Vertout Gana Ayew

Gestede

Bacuna scored a screamer from a freekick on 70 mins

Gestede a shot on the turn in last 5mins

0-2 to the Villa

Subs used

Westwood for Vertout (tired)

Grealish for Gil (Tired)

both around 60min mark

I'm not against the same again:

--------------------------Guzan-------------------------------

Hutton-------RIchards----------Clark-------------Amavi

------------Sanchez----Veretout-----Gana---------------

Gil-----------------------------------------------------Sinclair

----------------------------Ayew-------------------------------

With the only one of those I'd be thinking about changing out being Sinclair.

I'd snatch your hand off for a nil-nil and I think we can then look at something more expansive for the Watford game.

0-0 Draw would be fine for me, ever ton are much better than us and they are at home. Keep the confidence going and more stability in the team and wait for the more winnable games to come along.

3-0 loss and we are in the brown stuff again really.

Guzan

Sanchez

Gestede

That lineup looks pretty decent, actually

A formation used often by Remi in his Lyon days too