Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Poll  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Good performance ,Very organised defensively ,thought we rode our luck but deserved the point for effort alone ,Picking our best 11 a good start by Garde got the subs spot on too,very impressed with him so far.Long way back but a good start .Clark MOTM for me followed closely by Sanchez.

They're being very kind about Garde's immediate impact, both Jenas and Keown. Might just be my interpretation but there seems to be shades of negativity towards Sherwood's management too.

Jenas was heavily implying that Sherwood was crap.

I know we drew, but it sure smells like a victory:

• No Agbonlahor, Richardson or Lescott
  • 3 subs made, none of which required a formation change
  • Clean sheet
  • Broke the cycle of losing, especially at home

Special mention to Sanchez, Veretout and Guzan - but Clarke gets my MOTM.

What's with all the indignation over Rudy? Was it the fact that Hart failed to control a ball that the average 10 year old would have no problem with, or the fact that he made a run at Hart and made him soil himself?

Rudy twice gestured to Hart to get back in the box and he'd put it out but Hart was being a smart arse and ballsed it up.

Aye. Even the commentators got into a tizzy over this.

Gestede was only ever going to give him a goal kick, which was obvious from where and how he threw the ball. Hart tried to be clever....

... found out he wasn't and looked a right tit. Serves him right.

• Like 2

Oh and Sterling is a diving word removed

Totally agree on that. I thought throughout the game what a good player he is now looking at Man City but he totally let him self down by his pathetic dives. Just embarrassing.

Really enjoyed Villa Park yesterday. The place was rocking and we defended like lions. Big pluses for me were:

1) The right players started in their correct positions.

2)  There was 100% commitment for the full 90.

3) The right substitutions were made...yes even the Zog!

4) The players looked like they know what they were doing.

5) Delph got the reception he so richly deserved...loved the "You're sat on the bench" song and the blow up snakes.

6) I now have hope.

On the downside we lacked a real attacking threat but it was always going to be hard against City who I have to grudgingly admit are a very good side. I had to take my son back to Uni in Nottingham after the game so got to listen to 606 with Ian Wright. A couple of interesting callers:

A Spurs fan talking about Sherwood's 'cheerleaders in the media' when he was their manager...how true.

Ian Wright talking about when he played with with Garde to a Villa fan who called in. Hi described him as a 'mini me' of Wenger and how his role was basically to be the model pro for the other players...I'll take that any day of the week.

Back to the game I don't think I saw a poor performance from anyone. Standouts for me were Clark (that tackle on Navas!), Gil (obviously) and Veretout (very assured). My only criticism was I think Kozak would have been a decent option on the bench.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Oh and Sterling is a diving word removed

Totally agree on that. I thought throughout the game what a good player he is now looking at Man City but he totally let him self down by his pathetic dives. Just embarrassing.

I was glad to hear the BBC commentator saying that was a dive, as the Sky ones seemed sure it was a penalty.

Contact doesn't mean it's a foul. There's no way that was a foul, Sterling is a diving word removed.

Yes according to the commentators Sterling's was a foul yet up the other end a few minutes later there was no contact on Gil whatsoever.

There wasn't tbf, although I'd wouldn't have givenSterling's either.

As previously mentioned Hart should have just left that throw in to go out, it is his own fault as he clearly moved to intercept the ball which was harmlesly rolling out of play for a goalkick. I am not sure why there was such a big outrage at the incident, there are regular occurances of bad sportsmanship that are far far worse, such as the Sterling dive in the same game trying to win a penalty which would have probably decided the match as Clark would have been sent off if the ref had fallen for it.

Furthermore, Man City can go and do one, I seem to recall them being awarded a penalty against us for a Weimann handball at their ground a few years back, when in fact the ball had hit the post. I don't recall them doing the sporting thing at the time and missing the penalty.

I enjoyed that.  I was delighted with the starting line-up and even though we rode our luck on occasion, I don't think it's a coincidence that the team many people have been screaming out for for weeks and weeks delivers a good performance and result.  The bottom team is always going to need an element of good fortune in order to turn their season around, so it's no shame that the crossbar, Guzan's face and De Bruyne's left calf all came to our rescue at various points.  Our few forays into their box looked dangerous too.  I thought our fullbacks were brilliant.  Even if Amavi started to get brain fade towards the end.  The centrebacks were brilliant.  Sanchez was a monster in the middle.  Verretout showed more of his potential with a good display.  Gil was a wasp.  Everywhere.  Annoying to the opposition.  Ayew did what he could with what was given to him.  It was always going to be slim pickings for him and he'll have more bountiful days than this.  But he was willing and contributed plenty.  Even Guzan played well other than the first half shot at his near post that he nearly conspired to usher into his own goal.

All in all, a debut for Garde that was close to perfect.  It shows that we are not as bad as our league position.  It shows that this team have plenty of potential now that there's a steady hand on the tiller.  I think a few teams above us just got a little bit more nervous, because we're back in the mix now and we're not the foregone conclusion that we were a week ago.

• Like 2

Rode our luck and on another day we could have lost 4  or 5 nil  ... but we didn't and full credit to the players for digging in  but more importantly , also looking like footballers at times ... some nice slick one touch football at times.... it was all a bit training ground at times  , nice to keep the ball and pass it around but  we need to get that final cutting edge. City seemed happy at times just to let us pass it about as they knew we weren't hurting them and they weren't wasting too much energy in pressing us

Bit weird with Goal kicks seeing 20 outfield payers all squeezed into one zone making the game very compact   ... Never noticed it before so presumably this is also a Garde thing  ?

Worries would be

Guzan - nearly spilt one through his legs and also spilt another one that was straight at him ..his confidence has gone so we need to replace him in Jan

Amavi - great player going forward but he lefty holes the size of Jordans snatch at times and Citeh were getting in behind him too often and too easily

lack of a striker  - has to eb addressed in Jan  , lets hope it isn't too late by then

Loved the reception we gave Delph ... but why did the stewards come in and take the Homer Simpson cutting a snakes head off banner down , it was a cartoon it was hardly inciting anyone to commit murder

Edited by tonyh29