Paul McGrath

TRO

What a man, loved the bloke. What an absolute legend Sir Graham Taylor was as well, proper football man and an unbelievable person as well. Had some good people at our great club over the years. 

• Thanks 1

I based my entire defensive game of Paul and Ugo, I watched them how they were tough to bypass, how smart they were not to give much away and how much Bully boys those pair could be in a very smart way at the right time.

I were shocking at Football till in school till Villa called on me and I watched Paul and Ugo. I studied them and i admit i were always bullied in school, but our defenders made me really Express myself and brought football out in me where it started for my school team in Wolves. I played five a sides and full eleven's in charity league amongst all the hostels that i help set up when i came to Yorkshire. I came second place runners up with my team in the five aside power-league Tourny and winners of the 11v11 League and was even given the players manager trophy that everyone had done for me as a surprise. I would not have done any of that of it wernt for me being inspired by Paul, Ugo and many other Villa players. For me the best defenders in the game they were and I became a tough cookie to crack on the pitch. I was never skillful, I just would like to think I read the game well and made smart passes and plays.

Paul I always liked listening to him and I always loved how he'd have a pint or more before games. I were amazed at how he'd got these dodgy knees but never let that stop him from bossing the game.

• Like 1

Here are links to a download of the two full episodes of the interview with Paul which I've pulled from reddit.

Episode 1 - drive.google.com/file/d/17FMrdBQ1PcocEVV1vgxbnsWZ08TcDJhz/view

Episode 2 - drive.google.com/file/d/1x9A2xO3Qy_QcSNXp4RHkBLybg5m0U8eK/view

Enjoy

If you're having any issues, here the link to the reddit page as well

• Thanks 2

• 6 months later...
On 01/09/2021 at 22:21, Dave-R said:

I were amazed at how he'd got these dodgy knees but never let that stop him from bossing the game.

Good defenders can run and tackle.

Great defenders don't have to.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

All these premier league 11’s should always start with McGrath. The King greatest defender of the premier league ever. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Even Ian Rush knew:

I think I said it before but the best thing about Paul McGrath is that he didnt need the headlines or wanted them

If was Terry or Ferdinand marking Baggio or Bergkamp or whoever you would never hear the end of it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I think I said it before but the best thing about Paul McGrath is that he didnt need the headlines or wanted them

If was Terry or Ferdinand marking Baggio or Bergkamp or whoever you would never hear the end of it

We’d hear Rio endlessly saying “Listen!” . Bellend.

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Also posted in former players thread

Thanks @Zatman

Good article from the man himself in the Irish Independent

Aston Villa – the football club, the fans, the city of Birmingham and, the saintly Graham Taylor – saved my life.

If that sounds a little dramatic, it speaks of how my move from Villa steered me away from a darkness that threatened to consume me as things turned sour at Manchester United.

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

What was that all about?

Was a comedian who has had some mental health issues recently but he retweeted a video of somebody calling McGregor British and saying they can keep him. McGregor then started abusing the comedian and his mental health then God stepped in

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â