Paul McGrath

TRO

I went to an evening with the great man last night.....he simply doesn't know how good he was.

it was very interesting, fuelled by a few sherbets.

what struck me was his admission that he would willingly coach the defence for nothing, if he had the call.

blimey, it's like having Elvis as your vocal coach.

we all know Paul likes a tot......but if we as a football club could turn down such an offer from the great man, we must be missing something.

He clearly loves Villa, made great references to Sid and Dean Saunders.

one of the last of the talented players not driven by money.

the room was Full of fans in full voice in support of the big man......how many of the current squad could attract a table full never mind a large room.

• Like 4

Sounds a great idea having God as a defensive coach...but he probably hasn't had a job of similar stature for a reason.

Yea, l know......but it just seems such a waste, the guy has more defensive nous in his little finger, than our  lot have in whole body.

• Like 1

I can't recall if I read it on here as well but when Lambert was sacked I remember hearing an interview with Peter Withe basically saying he and Brian Little have offered to help the club out for free but it was never taken up. 

I've no idea how effective it would be, but I find it a little disappointing that the offer of their experience was not considered potentially valuable by the club, in whatever capacity.

I think the issue with great players going into coaching, and why so few of them go on to have massive success, is the limitations of the people they coach. You can't really teach the awareness and ability McGrath had. It was natural to him, and as such it'd be hard for him to pass that on to the likes of Clark and Baker.

Totally agree, and I'd add that with some other players the closer you get to genius then the closer you get to madness too.  Gazza would certainly be the example there.  McGrath I think had more demons.

But yeah, it's no co-incidence that the players from the past who often go on to do well in coaching were the more unassuming quieter observers in the squads.  The ones who got the theory and the psychology behind football and had enough about them to get to the top level and witness how to succeed there without having too much that they were detached and removed from the common or garden pro.

• Like 3

I think the issue with great players going into coaching, and why so few of them go on to have massive success, is the limitations of the people they coach. You can't really teach the awareness and ability McGrath had. It was natural to him, and as such it'd be hard for him to pass that on to the likes of Clark and Baker.

Dave I do understand that and you are deadright.....perhaps nostalgia was getting the better of me.

• Like 1

Dave I do understand that and you are deadright.....perhaps nostalgia was getting the better of me.

And oh what fun it is to be nostalgic! In the current climate especially, there's nothing wrong imagining what could be, if McGrath could pass on his attributes to our current centre backs. Maybe not the ability to sink 18 pints of the Black Stuff, and his dodgy knees though, obviously!

• Like 1

Maybe not the ability to sink 18 pints of the Black Stuff

We would probably defend better!!!!

• Like 1

And oh what fun it is to be nostalgic! In the current climate especially, there's nothing wrong imagining what could be, if McGrath could pass on his attributes to our current centre backs. Maybe not the ability to sink 18 pints of the Black Stuff, and his dodgy knees though, obviously!

I think he is posh.....he drinks shorts, not like us real men.....sorry macca just kidding.

still has no Derby Kelly at his age.

Edited by TRO

Paul McGrath for me was not only a great centre half, but a great human being.

he was very humble, towards his talent and only found time to talk everyone else up he played with....never had a bad word for anyone.....even Ferguson got a positive mention.....the man is colossus.

he has his demons as we all know and that sometimes attracts the smart arses to have a pop.

he is a true gentleman and in a room full of booze filled testerosterone......still took time out to apologise to the ladies for his odd fluff word, when getting carried away with his passion for the game.

he is an absolute and 100% in the truest sense of the word.......TOP MAN.

Ps thank god for Liffey water.....without it we would never have got him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

The same reason nobody will employ Gazza in any serious role, unfortunately.

God was on talksport a while ago, I think following the sacking of Tim... and he didn't sound with it at all.

Yes I heard that....they had to cut him off abruptly.

Him having his good and bad days will sadly stop him getting serious work in football coaching.

I agree that as a full time professional defensive coach, there's probably a reason why he hasn't had that sort of job before, but in a part time consultant type role, surely there is some value in that.

Yes, he can't impart his talent or his awareness on our centre halves, but he can impart the sort of dogged will to win that was a huge part of what made him such a sublime player.

Just watched the interview with him, on the AVFC website. Was lovely to see him speak with such high regard for the club, but did seemed like he'd sunk a few (not that I doubt his sincerity). It did feel a bit uncomfortable watching him slur his words. Hope he's over his demons, but it does seem like he still loves a drop.  

Edited by dAVe80

That's the thing for me. When I see him on form (i.e. sober) I'm always delighted. Having read his book and realising how much crap his brain puts him through,I love seeing him on top of things. Someone I loved so much as a kid, so sad to see he can't get by without a drop or two.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice article about the great man on footy365 today

http://www.football365.com/news/profile-of-an-icon-paul-mcgrath

"On November 5, 1989, Paul McGrath played 90 minutes for Aston Villa in a 6-2 league win over Everton. The game was unusual for McGrath in that the central defender played with sweatbands on both wrists. Few of the 17,637 in Villa Park would have noticed McGrath’s sartorial tweak. Nor too Robert Millward of the Birmingham Mail. ‘Aston Villa produced their own box of fireworks to set Villa Park alight with thoughts of another League championship,’ the Birmingham Post reporter wrote.

In fact, those sweatbands were covering up a series of cuts on McGrath’s wrists, caused by a Stanley knife a few days earlier."

• Sad 1

whenever he is interviewed on the radio he is the most humble guy ever when talking about their career

maybe not bring him in as defensive coach but maybe bring him back as a centre half instead of playing Clark

Â