Mike Dean

Spoony

I can confirm what you all probably suspect already, and that is Mike Dean is a bit of a you know what. A few of my friends have played in charity days at the local golf club which organises rounds of golf with sports personalities etc. The first year they had Sean Dyche, and my friends said that Dyche was brilliant and great fun with lots of great tales to tell and joined them in the bar afterwards for a customary beverage or two. Last time out they had the misfortune of getting Mike Dean as their personality. They said he was very closed, and wouldn't talk about anything during the round of golf, and to top things off at the end of the round he jumped in his car and legged it without saying anything. This was after saying that he would be joing them in the bar after packing his gear into the car, and that he would have a beer of some description.

Another of my friends is an amateur level referee, and knows a few of the referee's notably Anthony Taylor whom is his mentor. He also confirms that Mike Dean is a bit of a ........

Socially awkward fellow?

He celebrated a spurs goal previously against Arsenal didn't he. He also sent off Gabriel but did nothing against Costa against Chelsea, so it would appear he is biased towards Spurs. What he  did continuing play when Westwood quite clearly had a head injury is quite clear neglect. He has to be dealt with by the FA. 

Edited by PaulC

I can confirm what you all probably suspect already, and that is Mike Dean is a bit of a you know what. A few of my friends have played in charity days at the local golf club which organises rounds of golf with sports personalities etc. The first year they had Sean Dyche, and my friends said that Dyche was brilliant and great fun with lots of great tales to tell and joined them in the bar afterwards for a customary beverage or two. Last time out they had the misfortune of getting Mike Dean as their personality. They said he was very closed, and wouldn't talk about anything during the round of golf, and to top things off at the end of the round he jumped in his car and legged it without saying anything. This was after saying that he would be joing them in the bar after packing his gear into the car, and that he would have a beer of some description.

Another of my friends is an amateur level referee, and knows a few of the referee's notably Anthony Taylor whom is his mentor. He also confirms that Mike Dean is a bit of a ........

Socially awkward fellow?

Haha, not quite what they said.

Dean I assumed was celebrating the fact that he let play go on rather than blowing too early for the foul .. and was celebrating to himself that he'd got it right 

Westwood' injury he had a great view and can be seen shouting something along the lines of No foul  or something  ...It didn't look bad and I thought Westwood was milking it   ... it should be noted that after Westwood didn't get up we won the ball back and carried on playing as well , before inevitably giving it away again  ... and then Clark booted it into the crowd

The reply appeared to show it to be more of a forearm smash than a gentle brush off  but I don't know if it was intentional or accident as they both climbed a little over each other

He's done it twice before. In Spurs games. It's a big coincidence, and even if it's innocent it's **** unprofessional at best.

It doesn't matter what we did. Head injuries stop the game.

It's not actually a rule I agree with. I've said over and over that physios should be allowed on as soon as there's an injury and the game continue around them. but as it stands, the "rule" is that a head injury stops the game. Dean was right on the spot for that incident, it's really poor refereeing that he let it go on so long.

Do you have a link to this rule ( serious Question and not trying to be funny)

I thought the rules stated "Play is stopped ,if in the opinion of the referee , a player is seriously injured "

Now Westwood's injury may have ended up being more serious than anyone thought , but at the time it looked like nothing and certainly not a serious injury

Dean I assumed was celebrating the fact that he let play go on rather than blowing too early for the foul .. and was celebrating to himself that he'd got it right 

Westwood' injury he had a great view and can be seen shouting something along the lines of No foul  or something  ...It didn't look bad and I thought Westwood was milking it   ... it should be noted that after Westwood didn't get up we won the ball back and carried on playing as well , before inevitably giving it away again  ... and then Clark booted it into the crowd

The reply appeared to show it to be more of a forearm smash than a gentle brush off  but I don't know if it was intentional or accident as they both climbed a little over each other

He's done it twice before. In Spurs games. It's a big coincidence, and even if it's innocent it's **** unprofessional at best.

It's not actually a rule I agree with. I've said over and over that physios should be allowed on as soon as there's an injury and the game continue around them. but as it stands, the "rule" is that a head injury stops the game. Dean was right on the spot for that incident, it's really poor refereeing that he let it go on so long.

I thought the rules stated "Play is stopped ,if in the opinion of the referee , a player is seriously injured "

Now Westwood's injury may have ended up being more serious than anyone thought , but at the time it looked like nothing and certainly not a serious injury

To you, and to me. Dean was practically within touching distance.

To you, and to me. Dean was practically within touching distance.

that's not the same as head injuries automatically stop play though .. which was why I asked if such a rule existed

We didn't lose because of the referee but why is it that pretty much every game we never get a refereeing performance that is even the tiniest bit in our favour?

It's confirmation bias, humans tend to notice things which negatively impact them more than positive ones and that extends from referees screwing your football team over to the traffic lights always being red when you are running late for work. We don't notice the days when the traffic lights are always green, we don't notice/remember/agree when we a dodgy decision from a referees goes our way in a game of football. 

I'm sure there are Chelsea fans out there who firmly believe that they never get any refereeing decisions. We all know that's not true.  Same applies with us. 

• Like 3

We didn't lose because of the referee but why is it that pretty much every game we never get a refereeing performance that is even the tiniest bit in our favour?

It is largely due to our players that we don't get anything from refs.

I agree, altgough I think there are also other factors that help also, firstly the players need to be more street smart which we haven't been for years and learn how to manipulate referees and situations to our advantage, secondly the crowd can help by piling pressure on the referees. I remember seeing matches with Liverpool and Everton on tv where they are claiming for more or less every decision in a quite a loud aggressive manner, and that builds pressure on the referee as the game moves on.

The last time we received any favourable decisions from referees tends to date back as long ago as the MON years. Therefore I tend to think the manager also plays a part as MON was a cantankerous sod which rubs off on the players, however it is finding that fine line between influencing the referee in your favour and ending up on a charge for failing to control your players like we did under Lambert about this time last season.

He celebrated a spurs goal previously against Arsenal didn't he. He also sent off Gabriel but did nothing against Costa against Chelsea, so it would appear he is biased towards Spurs. What he  did continuing play when Westwood quite clearly had a head injury is quite clear neglect. He has to be dealt with by the FA. 

Celebrated? He practically ushered the ball into the net...

https://youtu.be/StRVqK7xgw4?t=28

Edited by Chewie

Celebrated? He practically ushered the ball into the net...

https://youtu.be/StRVqK7xgw4?t=28

That's genuinely really weird and disturbing. I just assumed this was all nothing more than a bit of sour grapes on our part, but he really does seem to have such a fondness for them he's prepared to act completely unprofessionally. 

I should also clarify: (1) I don't think his refereeing or indeed any refereeing has impacted our results this season, (2) I don't think Dembele's arm was deliberate and don't hold anything against him at all, (3) it was criminal not to stop play when Westwood was down clutching his face for so long as if he knew his players he'd know he isn't a cheat and in any event that's not for him to decide with a head injury, and (4) the celebration of that goal is just undoubtedly a celebration of the goal (I'd have support for the idea he was celebrating his own decision but the fact is he has previous for this).

He is from Cheshire btw. I've had the misfortune of meeting him during my time as a referee up there.

• 3 years later...
Â