Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

Prediction for the XI: 

4-4-2: Guzan; Bacuna Richards Lescott Amavi; Gil Gana Sanchez Grealish; Gestede Ayew.

Think he'll look at the fact Gestede has scored a few and start him. With Gil's display the other night I'm sure he'll be in. Expecting him to start Lescott due to Clark errors.

I think he could go with this although I think he'll probably stick with Hutton at RB, 

A really tough first game. Anything less than 0-3 would be a bit of a bonus for me and then we have an international break to look at things before our next game. Guzan, Hutton, Richards, Clark, Amarvi, Veretout, Gil, Gana, Sanchez, Sinclair & Ayew for me with Jack, Traore, Rudy and Westwood ready to come offf the bench as and if needed. But I am happy to leave team selection with our new boss for now ;). We have nothing to lose on Sunday other than the game itself, another 3 points and potentially our top flight status. Make a game of it Villa and give us some grounds for hope! 

I just hope Richardson/lescott/Gabby/bacuna don't start!!! Bacuna for me is what mikel is for Chelsea. I no he is more of a wide att player but he can be used as an extra body in the midfield to see out a game. The others well time is up. Amavi/Veretout/ ayew/Gil/kozak/Traore/Gana given a good chance to seek the winning formula. 

At least 5 changes needed from last game. Think Citeh will take their eye off the ball, until we score and then they will flick the switch and wipe us out. If only we had a generous sheik as an owner, we could buy their success too.

Tho any team that gets put up on here just looks minging. Such a weak squad.

Not really,  I think individual players are poor and could make the team overall look bad but I think a team like...

----------------Guzan

Ilori-----Richards--------Okore------Amavi

--------Gana--------------Sanchez

Traore---------------------------Gil

--------------Ayew

----------Kozak or Gestede

Doesnt look too bad and should be more than comfortable in mid table

Edited by Richard

Tho any team that gets put up on here just looks minging. Such a weak squad.

Not really,  I think individual players are poor and could make the team overall look bad but I think a team like...

----------------Guzan

Ilori-----Richards--------Okore------Amavi

--------Gana--------------Sanchez

Traore---------------------------Gil

--------------Ayew

----------Kozak or Gestede

Doesnt look too bad and should be more than comfortable in mid table

based on recent form it looks horrendous Richard.

I think what you need to look at is do we get near to replacing benteke delph Cleverley and vlaar when fit?

I'd say nowhere near with that lot (and tbh you've probably put our strongest team together there on paper).

Not only that but a team with benteke and Co in only just managed to survive time and time again.

I stand by that we (as usual) are wildly overating the players.

I think what you need to look at is do we get near to replacing benteke delph Cleverley and vlaar when fit?

I'd say nowhere near with that lot (and tbh you've probably put our strongest team together there on paper).

Not only that but a team with benteke and Co in only just managed to survive time and time again.

Benteke: no. But we never would. What we need to do is replace his goals. We probably haven't done that either, yet.

Delph: pretty much. I think he was better than gana, but not by much. I think Gana can be better in time.

Cleverley: Certainly not yet. But Cleverley came good for a few games last year. I don't think it's crazy to suggest we could do better than last season without him.

Vlaar: Absolutely. Richards is better than Vlaar was last season. I rated Vlaar overall, but he wasn't great last season. Richards is a better replacement.

I've very reluctantly decided to come down for this. I'm on nights so it's probably beyond foolish. However, I'm willing to give them a chance under a new manager.

That said, I fully expect a reaction. Not a win obv but a performance that shows more desire than we've seen in all previous 11 matches put together. 

I'd like to see

-----------------------Guzan-------------------

(unfortunately no other option

-------Richards----Crespo----Clark-------

Bacuna---------------------------------Amavi

will a rolling back four adding Bacuna as a RB when Amavi gets forward

Amavi as a LB when Bacuna gets forward

then we can defend as a back 5 when under pressure with little space for ManC to manouver through our backline

-------------Sanchez----Gana---------------

2 holders  (Westwood or Gardner subbing Sanchez @ 60mins)

-----Gil---------------Grealish/Sinclair------

JG/SS either one subbing the other if not doing too well

(with a back 3 & Bacuna+Amavi as Full/Wing backs we could risk Gil & Grealish having less defensive responsibilities (Sinclair being the only one from those 3 who can track a bit)

---------------------Ayew-----------------------

Gestede/Kozak as options to lump it for a goal or a break from the onslaught

Bench from

GK(?) Hutton (RB) ? (CB) ? (LB)

Gardner Westwood Vertout (MF)

Grealish/Sinclair (AMF)

Gestede Kozak (CF)

(Sub for Garde if it's not working = Fergie - he hates Citeh) + lots of "Fergie-Time" till we're Back level from being 0-4 down after 70mins)

Disclaimer - That last bit was a bit of "Brummie/AVFCunderRandyLerner humour"

I tried reading this, I really did. All I learned was Gestede Kozak CF is probably a second division Spanish side.

• Like 4

I stopped at the overly complicated defence.

Just pick a good back four and stick with it. No need to start farting around with intricate shit at the back until we can do the basics right.

• Like 1

Guzan

Richards     Okore     Clark    Amavi

Gana           Sanchez

Traore                  Gil               Ayew

Gestede

Bench: Bunn, Hutton, Kozak, Grealish, Bacuna, Veretout, Sinclair

• Like 1

We absolutely havent replaced three of those players exactly , YET.  But we were never going to because we needed a lot of new players.  What we lost were ready mades. To replace with ready mades we would have to shell out our entire spend on four players and in addition I'd actually argue that we are not a club that ready mades would want to come to.  Now we can argue the toss the reasons for that and for the miserly spend we have at the club but thats the reality

So using that reality we have to buy replacements we can develop to be better than those we have lost.  I think we have done that in the main.

Richards is now better than Vlaar

Gana will be better than snake,   he almost is now

Veretout will be miles better than Cleverley

Ayew really excites me he may not be better than Beneteke but he is a different type of player and I'd suggest we needed to have a different style of play anyway than that we adopted to get the best out of Benteke.

So at the minute the one area we may have a debate over is striker,  not surprising therefore that the world and his dog are crying out for us to spend on this area in January.  So if you are looking at the squad and saying are they all better at this moment than the ones replaced I could potentially see your point.  If you are looking and saying they wont be or it's an awful squad then I cant agree.  Just because the chancer clown could not get the best out of them does not mean that the best of them is what we have seen so far.

Honestly no idea what team he is going to pick. 

But, can you imagine the swell of confidence if we manage to get a result on Sunday? Even a draw would be a massive boost going into games against Everton, Watford and Southampton - which we should by no means be writing off.

Things could look very different by the time we face Arsenal in our next "free hit".