The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

This is the best thing I've heard yet. Paul Merson thinks we should have gone a different way.

“I would go and get Nigel Pearson tomorrow morning,” Merson said. “I think Tim [Sherwood] was unlucky, but now he’s not there I would go and get Nigel Pearson.

“He’s proven, the job he’s done at Leicester City was phenomenal.

“You bring in Remi Garde, a foreign manager who has never worked in the Premier League, and he might take six months to get used to it. By then, it could be all over.”

Why the **** didn't we hire Nigel Pearson?! You couldn't make it up.

I'm sorry but 98% of ex footballers (Gary Neville and some others are in those 2%) are complete and utter idiots.

We think this opinion is ridiculous today, because of course we're being optimistic this week. But for all any of us knows he could be absolutely right. 

is he Bollox he's As right as all the people on here who have been adamant for he last five seasons convinced we are down and out after 10 odd games. Give me a foreign manager with new ideas and who knows more than the 'English' hustle X do bustle crap I've seen for the last God knows how many years. 

It might work. It might not. You certainly don't know that it's going to work, so I don't really see how you're in a position to say 'is he bollox'. 

Will that prove that Nigel Pearson was the better option? 

No, but I didn't say it would . . . 

This is the best thing I've heard yet. Paul Merson thinks we should have gone a different way.

“I would go and get Nigel Pearson tomorrow morning,” Merson said. “I think Tim [Sherwood] was unlucky, but now he’s not there I would go and get Nigel Pearson.

“You bring in Remi Garde, a foreign manager who has never worked in the Premier League, and he might take six months to get used to it. By then, it could be all over.”

I'm sorry but 98% of ex footballers (Gary Neville and some others are in those 2%) are complete and utter idiots.

We think this opinion is ridiculous today, because of course we're being optimistic this week. But for all any of us knows he could be absolutely right. 

is he Bollox he's As right as all the people on here who have been adamant for he last five seasons convinced we are down and out after 10 odd games. Give me a foreign manager with new ideas and who knows more than the 'English' hustle X do bustle crap I've seen for the last God knows how many years. 

It might work. It might not. You certainly don't know that it's going to work, so I don't really see how you're in a position to say 'is he bollox'. 

No, but I didn't say it would . . . 

That is what the poster was referring to no? Unless I've misunderstood, but it seems clear enough. 

Best thing that Garde can do is not build the spine of his team around the likes of Gabby and Westwood. He should also rethink what Richardson, Lescott and actually offer.

Even if we are stuck with Guzan and Hutton for now as there aren't any better options.

Much as it is simplistic to pin our failures on the old guard, Tim seemed to pin so much hope on the likes of Gabby, Westwood and even Grealish and came unstuck because of it.

I get the need for leaders and experience, but we need the manager to be brave and lead, not the players. If Garde can control the dressing room and wrestle back the status quo from the guys who don't seem to have a clue what they are doing, we have a chance. And I know this is speculation, I don't genuinely know who or who isn't disruptive or rubbish from a sphere or influence point of view, all I know is Sherwood was given a new deck of cards that he refused to play with. 

• Like 1

HanoiVillan - a very good post. It is certainly at least possible that Merson is right in that Pearson might have been the better choice. I find it highly unlikely he would ever be a good fit for this football club, I for one could never being myself to support a sanctimonious nasty bully of a man. I'd have possibly cut my season ticket up.

But Garde failing won't prove that one way or another. That was my point. Merson is still an idiot and I don't think for one second he put the kind of thought into it that you did, no chance. His opinion was born out of ignorance.

• Like 1

Premier league experience is very useful if you have a load of experienced premier league players to work with, because you will understand them better and how to get them playing at their best. Our team is far more European, and it's primarily the European players we need to start playing to their best. Ayew, Amavi, Traore, Veretout, Sanchez, Okore, Bacuna, even Richards is used to a European style and Westwood is that sort of player too. A Remi Garde will be able to utilise those players and work with them better than a fat Sam or Pulis would IMO, whether that's enough to keep us up is up in the air at this stage - but it's by no means an impossible job, Leicester were further adrift than we are and they had half as many games and survived comfortably last season. There's a long way to go and a lot of points to play for yet

• Like 1

Brilliant post from HanoiVillan above! 

Personally, although believing that, on paper, Villa's fight to stay in the Premier League is not irretrievable, I sense that Garde will fail to keep us up. I say this because I think the position he's starting from is a cruel one. Cruel because we're rock bottom and a couple of wins from safety with Man City, Everton, Southampton and Arsenal to play in his first five games. Even if we beat Watford in between and nicked a point elsewhere, we'd still be in the bottom three with 8 points from 16 games. 

However, I've had enough of all the chopping and changing now. We need someone to create an identity and organise the squad. Garde is a young manager and, unlike his last couple of predecessors, I think he has a calmness about him that would stand us in good stead for the future. Being a young manager means he can also mature with the young squad that we have now. 

As long as he's not a complete disaster, I would stick with Garde now and let him work on building something, even if we do go down this season. Give him the chance to bring us back and kick on from there. 

• Like 2

Stopped listening to Merson a long time ago, he was against the Sherwood sacking because we sacked a young yet clueless manager which must of reminded him of someone.

Personally, although believing that, on paper, Villa's fight to stay in the Premier League is not irretrievable, I sense that Garde will fail to keep us up. I say this because I think the position he's starting from is a cruel one. Cruel because we're rock bottom and a couple of wins from safety with Man City, Everton, Southampton and Arsenal to play in his first five games. Even if we beat Watford in between and nicked a point elsewhere, we'd still be in the bottom three with 8 points from 16 games. 

However, I've had enough of all the chopping and changing now. We need someone to create an identity and organise the squad. Garde is a young manager and, unlike his last couple of predecessors, I think he has a calmness about him that would stand us in good stead for the future. Being a young manager means he can also mature with the young squad that we have now. 

As long as he's not a complete disaster, I would stick with Garde now and let him work on building something, even if we do go down this season. Give him the chance to bring us back and kick on from there. 

Yes, this is exactly how I feel, especially the last two paragraphs. As I've said before, since O'Neill left we've averaged sacking a manager nearly once a calendar year. That's clearly unsustainable. At some point, we need to pick a guy, trust him to do a job given the time and space, and let him at it. I agree that Garde seems like a good person to give that role to. He's calm, he's knowledgeable.

We've tried chopping and changing. It hasn't worked. Let's try something else. 

• Like 2

Yes, this is exactly how I feel, especially the last two paragraphs. As I've said before, since O'Neill left we've averaged sacking a manager nearly once a calendar year. That's clearly unsustainable. At some point, we need to pick a guy, trust him to do a job given the time and space, and let him at it. I agree that Garde seems like a good person to give that role to. He's calm, he's knowledgeable.

We've tried chopping and changing. It hasn't worked. Let's try something else. 

The club only changes manager when they realise the current manager is not up to the task. Most people believe we gave Lambert and O'Neil too long rather than changing managers too quickly. 

If Guard does well he won't be sacked, I think he will have a pretty low bar to clear as well. 

I am looking forward to the start of the Remi Era, and his first team pick later today. I was a bit baffled by KMac's side against Tottenham, and I hope Remi has seen enough of the team to know that wasn't the best side, but it has only been a few days. 

I like him already in terms of his calmness and his approach to the interviews I've seen. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and even if he doesn't as long as he sounds like he does that's better than the previous manager!

I'm not really expecting anything but a loss today, but that small hope that we might put up a good fight, or even get some points, is making things seem better already. 

I think supporting a football team is as much about hope as anything else, and if the last manager got to a stage that was hopeless then I suppose I now feel hopeful that things could change for the better.

• Like 1

Â