The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Whilst the fixtures on paper might seem tougher, this is the premier league. On any given day any team can beat anyone else. Our chances of beating Man City for example are much higher than the bottom team in La Liga beating Barcelona. I'm just as confident (or not) facing Everton as I am Stoke. Or Watford as I am Sunderland.

It helps that I believe in the individuals in the squad and I have been sold Remi Garde as a manager. Don't get me wrong, I know that we are a poor squad relatively speaking, but the difference between finishing 17th and 18th could well be as simple as something like having a manager who knows how to get the best out of Carles Gil, or a player like Jordan Ayew having a breakthrough season. Why not stay confident, what is the worst that can happen? We fail? Fine. As long as we try our very best. ALL of us, collectively.

WE are Aston Villa. Me, you, Randy Lerner, Remi Garde and Leandro Bacuna included...

:wub:

• Like 1

This is the best thing I've heard yet. Paul Merson thinks we should have gone a different way.

“I would go and get Nigel Pearson tomorrow morning,” Merson said. “I think Tim [Sherwood] was unlucky, but now he’s not there I would go and get Nigel Pearson.

“He’s proven, the job he’s done at Leicester City was phenomenal.

“You bring in Remi Garde, a foreign manager who has never worked in the Premier League, and he might take six months to get used to it. By then, it could be all over.”

Why the **** didn't we hire Nigel Pearson?! You couldn't make it up.

I'm sorry but 98% of ex footballers (Gary Neville and some others are in those 2%) are complete and utter idiots.

hiring an aggressive psychopath and putting him into a sensitive dressing room is just about the riskiest move imaginable. 

This is the best thing I've heard yet. Paul Merson thinks we should have gone a different way.

“I would go and get Nigel Pearson tomorrow morning,” Merson said. “I think Tim [sherwood] was unlucky, but now he’s not there I would go and get Nigel Pearson.

“You bring in Remi Garde, a foreign manager who has never worked in the Premier League, and he might take six months to get used to it. By then, it could be all over.”

I'm sorry but 98% of ex footballers (Gary Neville and some others are in those 2%) are complete and utter idiots.

Love Merse but he hasn't got a **** clue.

Part of the old British pundit mafia.

• Like 2

In the grand scheme of things, with so many games to go and so many points to play for, 4 points really isn't a lot to pull back. I guess people are looking at our next 6 games and imagining that the 4 point gap will be 6, 8 or even 10 points but the reality is that we won't know what it will be until after those games have been played. Who knows, we might get 5 or 6 points ourselves and there might not even be a gap after those games. 

BOF - "We're not exactly a mile off EVEN WITH Tim in charge." 

Actually, I think we are exactly a mile off. Bottom of the table with 4 points from 11 games looks pretty much like a (metaphorical) mile to me.

4pts from safety is a mile to you? Blimey. Whatever you want to call it is up to you I suppose.

I think both Newcastle and Sunderland win today, it's a great double bet at the bookies

In the grand scheme of things, with so many games to go and so many points to play for, 4 points really isn't a lot to pull back. I guess people are looking at our next 6 games and imagining that the 4 point gap will be 6, 8 or even 10 points but the reality is that we won't know what it will be until after those games have been played. Who knows, we might get 5 or 6 points ourselves and there might not even be a gap after those games. 

BOF - "We're not exactly a mile off EVEN WITH Tim in charge." 

Actually, I think we are exactly a mile off. Bottom of the table with 4 points from 11 games looks pretty much like a (metaphorical) mile to me.

4pts from safety is a mile to you? Blimey. Whatever you want to call it is up to you I suppose.

I think both Newcastle and Sunderland win today, it's a great double bet at the bookies

The way that's phrased sounds like you already know the result but are trying to remember it! Have you got the Sports Almanac? :)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

“I would go and get Nigel Pearson tomorrow morning,” Merson said. “I think Tim [Sherwood] was unlucky, but now he’s not there I would go and get Nigel Pearson.

We think this opinion is ridiculous today, because of course we're being optimistic this week. But for all any of us knows he could be absolutely right. 

• Like 2

I only speak for myself here, but a few posters on here seem to imply that if you aren't positive about Villa going forward then we're overly negative, whining and almost wallowing in self pity. That's not the case. I don't feel I'm being negative, just realistic but recognise that everyone has a differing opinion. What I would say that is despite my views as to our predicament and the quality of our squad I still support Villa 100% at VP and have not given up - I just feel we have to tread water til January as I think however good Garde may be, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Realising this means more pressure should build on Lerner supplying significant money in January - it worries me that some people seem to think a change of manager is enough. I just don't see it. 

I am much of a similar view.....I have seen things from the players that I am unsure any manager can change.....but I will bow to a superior knowledge, in the hope they are right and the manager can change those things and I am wrong by saying they are intrinsic errors that are being repeated.

however, I will air on the side of caution and proclaim that we need a new zest for supporting the manager and the team and dismiss the past and just look forward to being positive starting with Man City.

Speculation has never been much use to anyone except satisfying ego's......no one REALLY has a scooby do what effect Garde will have, perhaps he don't know himself.

Abilities in the manager and players are what they are......The only thing to change for us to get out of the mess is a huge dollop of fight, focus,concentration, character, will to win and Lady Luck.

it is most certainly doable.

Edited by TRO

We think this opinion is ridiculous today, because of course we're being optimistic this week. But for all any of us knows he could be absolutely right. 

True, only time will tell. Garde could be just as bad as our previous 3 managers results wise

EDIT: quoting meltdown

Edited by KHV

The squad of players have been playing this season with no real direction or strategy.

I believe Remi Garde has the football brain required to mold this squad into an organised team who will have a direction and strategy.

If he does that then he has the tactical nous to get the points we need to survive.

The players we have are technically good enough IMO to play in his system.

Call me deluded but he is what we need now

• Like 1

Is it really any point at all, saying what should or might have been.....it's just like walking through treacle.

Remi Garde is the manager, he should be given the respect our football manager deserves, until he is no longer.

We need to unite behind this man irrespective of whether he was our first choice or not.

ex footballers have never been much help to us.....why should a habit of a lifetime change now.

as we speak Remi Garde is our manager.....all the detractors can**** off.

let me guess, all the panel saying we should have gone for 'a proper british manager who knows about the premier league', and we need more 'proper british players who know about a relegation scrap'.

let me guess, all the panel saying we should have gone for 'a proper british manager who knows about the premier league', and we need more 'proper british players who know about a relegation scrap'.

Funny how most of the foreign players/Managers occupy the top spots.

• Like 1

Oh Merse, you utter tit.

what's he said

Something along the lines of when Allardyce went into Sunderland he'd be looking at Defoe, Fletcher, Larsson and Catermole and thinking 'I've got something here'. What does Garde have to look at? Not much.

Catermole,Catermole.....biggest liability in the division.

Bless the magicman.....thats what he is still dealing in.

Talk is cheap.....football was never played on paper.

Edited by TRO

Oh Merse, you utter tit.

what's he said

Something along the lines of when Allardyce went into Sunderland he'd be looking at Defoe, Fletcher, Larsson and Catermole and thinking 'I've got something here'. What does Garde have to look at? Not much.

Yeh, proper tit! I would take our squad over theirs every day of the week.

Oh Merse, you utter tit.

what's he said

Thinking "I've got something here, a steaming pile of shit"

Didnt Advocaat leave essentially because the squad was so bad he felt he couldn't keep them up?

Â