The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

There appears to be an assumption in some quarters that this team is good enough and that the introduction of a new manager will spark a revival......I sincerely hope they are right and I will be the first to say so, but hmmmmmm.....but I'm not sure how anyone can be so certain, but time will surely tell.

while I will support him in his quest, I have doubts/ reservations, that this team in its current form is good enough.

I hope Remi is given time and IF we get a few reversals, that the walls of Jericho won't come tumbling down.....but believe me I will hail him if he can get us on a wining streak.

i know a few ex players have come out and doubted his appointment, but they get paid to comment and have no more idea than we do....these negative comments at a sensitive time for us is unhelpful in my view.

mancini, pelligrini, Wenger, Van Gaal have all come in to a " never managed in the prem before"....so I'm not sure what relevance that has.

Remi, will know the players abilities but not their characters, that will take a bit longer to value.

and what a fixture to come in to?..but hey! ......he could cover himself in glory from day 1

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I agree with a lot of that TRO.

Major difference between those managers and garde is that most of them came with a certain degree or pedigree. More than garde anyway. Also, they took over teams that weren't struggling at the foot of the table and that actually had some decent players. That said, all those managers took time to implement what they wanted to do (not so much in Pellegrini case) but certainly van Gaal, mancini and Wenger.  

We simply don't have the time that perhaps they could afford.

The closest comparison is pochettino who really is a but of a rare breed in terms of the effect he immediately had after being relatively unknown. 

What I find quite bizarre as well, is how so many posters on here use no prem experience to excuse foreign players being shite for a period of time. Yet when the media suggests thus could be an issue for garde, we laugh it off.

Yes he played in the prem but it was 2 decades ago. It's very very different now.

Major difference between those managers and garde is that most of them came with a certain degree or pedigree. More than garde anyway. Also, they took over teams that weren't struggling at the foot of the table and that actually had some decent players. That said, all those managers took time to implement what they wanted to do (not so much in Pellegrini case) but certainly van Gaal, mancini and Wenger.  

The closest comparison is pochettino who really is a but of a rare breed in terms of the effect he immediately had after being relatively unknown. 

What I find quite bizarre as well, is how so many posters on here use no prem experience to excuse foreign players being shite for a period of time. Yet when the media suggests thus could be an issue for garde, we laugh it off.

Yes he played in the prem but it was 2 decades ago. It's very very different now.

Perhaps because playing and management are two completely different things?

There appears to be an assumption in some quarters that this team is good enough and that the introduction of a new manager will spark a revival......I sincerely hope they are right and I will be the first to say so, but hmmmmmm.....but I'm not sure how anyone can be so certain, but time will surely tell.

while I will support him in his quest, I have doubts/ reservations, that this team in its current form is good enough.

I hope Remi is given time and IF we get a few reversals, that the walls of Jericho won't come tumbling down.....but believe me I will hail him if he can get us on a wining streak.

i know a few ex players have come out and doubted his appointment, but they get paid to comment and have no more idea than we do....these negative comments at a sensitive time for us is unhelpful in my view.

mancini, pelligrini, Wenger, Van Gaal have all come in to a " never managed in the prem before"....so I'm not sure what relevance that has.

Remi, will know the players abilities but not their characters, that will take a bit longer to value.

and what a fixture to come in to?..but hey! ......he could cover himself in glory from day 1

It all starts from whether you thought Sherwood was good or not.  If, like most people, you think he is utterly shit and was throwing darts at a list of formations to pick his team, then you look at Villa's current position and points total with that in mind.  We're not exactly a mile off EVEN WITH Tim in charge.  It therefore stands to reason that someone who does know how to do their job and who can implement a semblance of theory, practice and consistency should improve us.  They only need to be "good enough" for 17th at the very least.

• Like 4

It all starts from whether you thought Sherwood was good or not.  If, like most people, you think he is utterly shit and was throwing darts at a list of formations to pick his team, then you look at Villa's current position and points total with that in mind.  We're not exactly a mile off EVEN WITH Tim in charge.  It therefore stands to reason that someone who does know how to do their job and who can implement a semblance of theory, practice and consistency should improve us.  They only need to be "good enough" for 17th at the very least.

BOF......when Sherwood arrived I was in support of him as I was Lambert.....as for whether he was good enough ,it's a sweeping statement and given the timescale, I'm unsure....but I agree that there had to be a change for the sake of the club.

i have seen things from the players that I have doubts about any manager being directly responsible for, but I have been wrong before and I can be wrong again.....we will see in the fullness of time.....the theories will become reality.

I thought he struggled when he first took over  ... they were 15th when Adams was fired and ended up finishing 14th

in 22 games Adams won 5  (and drew 7 ) ... Pochettino had 16 games and won 4 (drew 7 )

and it was only really the following season that he made his mark   ?

I think it can be easier for a new foreign manager,when you at the bottom as the slightest improvement can make an effect......but when you are at the top slightest improvement can be lost due to the higher level of competition.

I thought he struggled when he first took over  ... they were 15th when Adams was fired and ended up finishing 14th

in 22 games Adams won 5  (and drew 7 ) ... Pochettino had 16 games and won 4 (drew 7 )

you may well be right. I had him down for being an instant success but perhaps not. That only supports it further that it is rare to non existent that a foreign manager comes in and makes an immediate impact. Certainly to the extent that we need it.

Jose mourinho is probably the best example but something tells me that remi garde isn't that good. I'm certain that our players aren't as good as the ones he had at his disposal.

Time wll tell, but the odds, time and history of the premier league are starting to mount against us.

Going on a few recent comments, If Remi keeps us up, I think there will be a long line of grateful Villa fans keen to get behind him.

williams.jpg?w=640

Young, Kean and Bent?

I know it's an old joke... I'll get my coat :)

Adkins.

#pedant. 

• Like 1

BOF - "We're not exactly a mile off EVEN WITH Tim in charge." 

Actually, I think we are exactly a mile off. Bottom of the table with 4 points from 11 games looks pretty much like a (metaphorical) mile to me.

Edited by briny_ear

The difference is though that the manager doesn't have to run around the pitch. Fair enough his experience was a while ago but from my own experiences much of todays league including power, strength, pace etc has always been a trait of the league. IMO of course.

Perhaps because playing and management are two completely different things?

also the difference between a 20 year old and a 50 year old.

And I'd argue that because the prem is so different year after year after year, 'Premier League experience' is redundant anyway.

Edited by a m ole

Actually, I think we are exactly a mile off. Bottom of the table with 4 points from 11 games looks pretty much like a (metaphorical) mile to me.

4pts from safety is a mile to you? Blimey. Whatever you want to call it is up to you I suppose.

• Like 1

Despite our position being grim.....it's all about what we are going to do, not what we have done.

if we go on a winning run like Leicester last season and BMG in Germany it will change the mood and all seem so academic.

If we carry on losing, it will be catastrophic.

we just need to start winning.....sounds easy don't it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Remi has not only played here (albeit a while ago) but he's been punditting on the prem for canal+ during his sabbatical. I'd say he's probably seen more than many of us and knows about most of the clubs in some depth.  He's also wanted to manage here for a while so will have done plenty of research. I really don't think lack of premier league experience is going to be an issue.

• Like 2

Reading some of the comments in this thread it seems someone like Pearson who managed to get Leicester to safety (after getting them into the **** in the first place) is a better option than Garde purely because he has PL experience. What a load of tosh. I am done with this 'must have PL experience' BS.

• Like 3

4pts from safety is a mile to you? Blimey. Whatever you want to call it is up to you I suppose.

What worries me is that we have to baiscally start from scratch, both tactics-wise and confidence-wise. Hopefully both can be addressed quickly.

Another worrying this is that of these 11 games we've had some of the most winnable fixtures (Bournemouth, Sunderland, WBA, Stoke, Chelsea (funnily enough). We have much tougher fixtures ahead, it will be harder to get results from them and get a confidence boost as a result.

But I still think we can avoid relegation. The way we played last season under Sherwood up to the Soton game suggests that we have more than enough quality to stay up. We don't have a proper goalscorer at the moment, hopefully this will be addressed in Jan.

• Like 2

I have no doubt that we have a good enough squad. Not because they are anything special, but because very very few clubs DO have anything special.

Outside the top five or six there is little to choose. OK one Club may have a good goalscorer, another an exceptional keeper etc, but by and large the majority of players in the League are similar. I've lost count of the number of players fans have thought not good enough for Villa who have either come from, or gone to, other Clubs and done OK.

We are handicapped by a poor start in terms of points, but we only need a couple of wins when rivals lose and that's gone. More importantly we are handicapped by a lack of a sound and repeatable method, and, additionally, the confidence ( self confidence and crucially confidence in what your teammates are doing) that brings with it.

I have no doubt, again, that  a decent manager can attend to these issues over time. How much time depends on how good the Manager and the character of the players, we shall see. Nobody really knows, including Garde, whether he is a good enough manager, but we DO know if he isn't, we are down. 

So let's hope he is as good as he sounds so far, let's keep our fingers crossed for that most crucial ingredient, luck, and let's stick with the guy, and these players, through thick and thin coz it really is win or bust time !

• Like 3

It's a miserable place to be. It could be worse, much worse, we aren't stranded. But make no bones about it we are in the shit.

It's good that we accept this. We can use this feeling, squad and fans alike.

Â