The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

The players making mistakes and the manager not being very good aren't mutually exclusive.

Concentration, organisation, use of personnel. It all comes down to the manager.

How on Earth does a players' concentration comes down to the manager?  That's a ridiculous call.

Not directly. But if the players are drilled into a certain system. They have a method for defending corner, a process for bringing a ball out of defence , when they have those the scope for errors is reduced. When they all run around like headless chickens, and react to a situation as they see fit (at that particular moment) - then the mistakes happen more frequently....

Which isn't concentration, but organisation?

Individual mistakes simply aren't down to the manager.  If Guzan rolls another pass out to Lescott who, in turn, mis-controls, I won't be pointing the finger at Remi Garde.

That's an incident in isolation. You're right, I wouldn't point the finger at Garde either. Neither would I point it at Sherwood if that had been the only error this season.

But if we're seeing error after error, game after game, then my finger absolutely would point at the manager. If you organise your teams and motivate them, then they don't lose concentration.

• Like 1

The players making mistakes and the manager not being very good aren't mutually exclusive.

Concentration, organisation, use of personnel. It all comes down to the manager.

How on Earth does a players' concentration comes down to the manager?  That's a ridiculous call.

Not directly. But if the players are drilled into a certain system. They have a method for defending corner, a process for bringing a ball out of defence , when they have those the scope for errors is reduced. When they all run around like headless chickens, and react to a situation as they see fit (at that particular moment) - then the mistakes happen more frequently....

Individual mistakes simply aren't down to the manager.  If Guzan rolls another pass out to Lescott who, in turn, mis-controls, I won't be pointing the finger at Remi Garde.

But less concentration is required if you know what you are doing.

Repeated individual errors are down to the manager [IMO of course] 

Which were caused by tactical decisions.

Not marking you man and as a goalkeeper coming out of your goal and totally missing a cross is not tactical, that's just shit play. Just like Guzan and Lescott's contribution at Chelsea which was also shit play, as was Amavi's error at Palce, as was Clark's defending for Tottenham's first goal. None of those goals have anything to do with tactics

I don't know if you watched the game, but a non-league manager could have seen we were going to concede if we weren't careful, at times Sanchez was left on his own which mean't we were overrun, and by that happening errors occur.  I agree errors have been a downfall however tactics, fitness and decision making is the major reason of where we are. For e.g. take Monday's game against Spurs, at the start of the game I stated whatever they do, Clark should not play right side of defence, because he has no right foot and will be completely uncomfortable playing there, so for me again that is a decision which effectively resulted in a mistake on the pitch. 

That's an incident in isolation. You're right, I wouldn't point the finger at Garde either. Neither would I point it at Sherwood if that had been the only error this season.

But if we're seeing error after error, game after game, then my finger absolutely would point at the manager. If you organise your teams and motivate them, then they don't lose concentration.

If you're seeing the exact same error, I'd agree - although I'm not sure that would be a concentration issue, but more down to the managers' instruction.  Again, organsation.

However, you can't say Sherwood (or any manager) is responsible for the amount of individual errors we've seen this season. Players aren't robots that act in exact accordance to instruction.

The Leicester game is a good case in point, actually.  Managerial flaw: bringing on Ayew for Gil when 2-0 up and not going more solid.  Player flaw: allowing that third goal to happen.

The team has zero cohesion currently and that's down to the previous manager changing the team every week. If your a team in transition surely you don't want to make drastic changes every other weekend?

The reason were in this mess boils down to the system and side being changed constantly. I can't think of any other prem side that does this and the fact that Sherwood still did not know his best eleven 10 games into a season just shows how out of his depth he actually was.

I also do not believe they are anyway near fit enough to maintain concentration levels over a full 90 minutes and this is why we keep making these stupid mistakes which again is down to the previous manager. It's a joke considering they have not only had a full preseason but a mini preseason for two weeks over the last international break.

I think the combination of Garde a manager who actually looks like he knows what he's doing, who is not all talk and bluster like the previous manager. Combined with Duverne will whip our guys into shape and it will pay dividends in the long term however whether we have left it too late to salvage this season is another matter, but if we do go down i'm confident we ill come straight back up again.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Leicester's 3rd goal was shit play, but the point being made is that a decent manager wouldn't have let it get to the point where we were defending a 2-2 draw with our lives when we'd been 2-0 up a short time earlier.

Whilst I understand your point, Leicester have come back from being behind so many times this season, including a few games at 2 nil down and had team's backs to the wall in the dying minutes so it's unfair to say it wouldn't have happened if not for him managing us, especially as it was such a clear and avoidable error.

If you're seeing the exact same error, I'd agree - although I'm not sure that would be a concentration issue, but more down to the managers' instruction.  Again, organsation.

However, you can't say Sherwood (or any manager) is responsible for the amount of individual errors we've seen this season. Players aren't robots that act in exact accordance to instruction.

The Leicester game is a good case in point, actually.  Managerial flaw: bringing on Ayew for Gil when 2-0 up and not going more solid.  Player flaw: allowing that third goal to happen.

I can and will say it. Teams managed well don't make loads of errors.

If Garde is any good, I bet we'll see individual errors reduce.

• Like 2

I can and will say it. Teams managed well don't make loads of errors.

If Garde is any good, I bet we'll see individual errors reduce.

No team really makes "loads of errors" (us aside, of course :D).

Off the top of my head, Joe Hart made an absolute howler against... Watford(?) the other day/week.  However, Man City still won so not much got made of it.  Mistakes happen.  The difference is that we've been losing games so individual errors are (possibly quite rightly) highlighted.

I think that part in the PC, where the journo asked Garde if he had it in writing that he has the final say on transfers, was the journo having the same sense of dismay at how transfer dealings happen at Villa as other people. I didn't see any harm in that.

My biggest worry was that, when asked if he had it in writing that he would have final say on transfers, Garde's response was "that's the problem". Maybe he is accustomed to working with the same kind of set-up as he had at Lyon but, if he doesn't get it the same way here, how will he then react? For all we know, he could think he will get it his way and, if he doesn't, walk out on the club and who knows where we would be then. Before anyone shoots me down for suggesting that, did anyone foresee Martin O'Neil quitting the club on grounds of constructive dismissal just days before the start of a new season?

Do you seriously believe that they haven't discussed this issue before he joined? I take such interviews with a pinch of salt, knowing that most managers don't talk to their clubs through the media. I think most of the questions they ask are ****** in any case

I just can't wait for his first team to be announced and to see what the formation is when we kick off.

I'm fed up of knowing were going to lose as soon as I see the team sheet 

Imagine if it was the same team that started against Spurs......

Im not going to lie, my heart would sink but it shouldn't. Seeing how were  set up once the game starts , the first free kick corner, how Guzans distribution, substitutions ......

The beauty of a new manager is the hope it brings to us and the players, infact the whole place. A half decent performance then the break to work on things further and its looking good, puts the relegation  threatened teams under pressure. 

Also makes my life a better place to be, no pressure Remi  

I just can't wait for his first team to be announced and to see what the formation is when we kick off.

Dear God - can you imagine.  How to kill optimism dead.

Cue VT match thread meltdown

I will not have a meltdown no matter what the line-up is.  RG will need to see some things for himself.  And while a line up is, in some sense 11 decisions.  It's not really either.  If Richardson is at left back for example.  (which I would not do)  It depends on who is in front of him, beside him, and what role he is being asked to play.  Remi may have an idea for one cog in a large moving structure.  I'm willing to let him try and experiment.  Especially against ManShitty from whom we were never likely to get anything.

I do want to see traces of a plan, and at least one area of incremental improvement.

I bet he does'nt know himself what the team will be yet. It would be pretty insane to put out a vastly changed side for the first game, especially seeing as its citeh. But, I would be disappointed not to see Gil start.

Couple of games in we should get the gist of what players he wants to build on.

I still can't believe that there are people who actually believe this squad is bad enough to be cut adrift at the bottom of the table.

Nobody is expecting miracles. All we want is the team to have a bit of direction and look like they're remotely playing to their potential.

Sherwood had us far far short of that,

I'm in love with him already.

As has been said plenty of times any manager coming in now will represent a gamble/risk.

Exactly.

It's basically just a myth peddled by the press. If we had got Pearon/Rodgers nobody would be saying it's a gamble even though those two would be gambles as well.

That video wasn't the press conference in full was it? 

Unbelievable stuff on here this morning!! Are we really going to continue to pick apart press conferences and post match interviews word by word to find something to moan about. 

After about 3 games this season, I was ridiculed for questioning what TS said in post match interviews. About 2/3 weeks later this whole forum was lambasting him about it. 

Nobody is moaning about anything. What he said about the french lads could have been worded better that's all. Had people not been yulijising over the so called genius behind 'the english lads need to speak slower', I probably wouldn't have battered an eyelid. 

I think there's still space in Veretout's English class if you want me to sign you up? ;)

Damn

Note to self:  must read predictive text more slowly.

Unbelievable stuff on here this morning!! Are we really going to continue to pick apart press conferences and post match interviews word by word to find something to moan about. 

After about 3 games this season, I was ridiculed for questioning what TS said in post match interviews. About 2/3 weeks later this whole forum was lambasting him about it. 

Nobody is moaning about anything. What he said about the french lads could have been worded better that's all. Had people not been yulijising over the so called genius behind 'the english lads need to speak slower', I probably wouldn't have battered an eyelid. 

I think there's still space in Veretout's English class if you want me to sign you up? ;)

Damn

Damn

I bet he does'nt know himself what the team will be yet. It would be pretty insane to put out a vastly changed side for the first game, especially seeing as its citeh. But, I would be disappointed not to see Gil start.

Couple of games in we should get the gist of what players he wants to build on.

If he sticks to his 4-4-2 diamond or his 4-4-1-1 which he used predominantly at Lyon then I imagine Gil would be the number 10

Â