The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Do managers actually resign anymore?

On the top of my head I can't think of anyone doing so in the last 5 years or so. I'm sure there must be some, but unless it is for health or family issues there can't be many.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Doubt it.. I'm sure he's already said he'll stick with Aston Villa in the Championship if that is where we end up. 

His interview was with L'Equipe where he stated his project isn't short term and that if he has to rebuild from the Championship he has Lerner's full backing.

It's all going to depend on his resolve sitting in that dugout week in week out getting abuse, but it seems he's here for the long term. 

From the Lyon fans I've spoken to, they don't think the abuse will affect him, and he'll only leave if he is asked to do so.

• Like 1

I personally believe that everyone has come to terms with the fact we are going down and that isn't going to change, but all it will take is one win here and there to show we still have what it takes. My personal negativity stems from the fact we look like a team that would struggle in the Championship and that scares me. Relegation sucks yeah and I never wanted to be old enough to experience it first hand, especially not in a way as damaging as this but I want to see signs that going down isn't going to see us completely annihilated in that league as well. 

i dont think he will walk unless the board go back on certain promises they may of made him. i dont think he realised how bad the situation was though but i think he will make it is mission to sort out the shit from the players who can do a job. to me he dont seem a quitter.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You don't just let anyone build a team. O'Leary was given time and we got worse and worse. Lambert was given time and we got worse and worse. 

He has to show some reason as to why he deserves that opportunity. 

I agree. He will need to show some results to earn that time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Well if you choose to interpret the two managerial stints in such radically different ways, that's up to you. But the reality is: both managers have broadly the same record and neither have managed to get the players to play as directed.

It's not about interpreting their managerial stints - we were originally talking about whether or not Garde had thrown the players under the bus by saying that they weren't doing what he asked of them and why people aren't reacting the way they did when Sherwood said something similar. You're reading something into my posts that isn't there.

Now, looking at the problem faced by both managers; Garde and Sherwood can only tell the players what they want them to do. The players are responsible for whether or not they carry out that game plan. When the players failed to follow sherwood's instructions there was always the possibility that his incessant meddling in the lineups and formation contributed to that, but Garde's teamsheets have been more consistent so that can't be a factor. So who is most to blame for the player's lack of application and commitment? Garde for not motivating the players, or the players for not manning up and doing their jobs properly?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hopefully he makes some astute signings this window that at least show the club improving for the remaining games. That would at least give me hope that he has what it takes to possibly rebuild.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You don't just let anyone build a team. O'Leary was given time and we got worse and worse. Lambert was given time and we got worse and worse. 

He has to show some reason as to why he deserves that opportunity

This for me is just straightforward logic. So far he has shown absolutely nothing, I keep reading how he needs a chance and needs to bring his own players in. But if we carry on like this, he simply doesn't deserve to say, he has not shown anything to suggest that he'll ever be a good manager for us, it's very concerning times indeed.

• Like 3

The only progress I will be looking for, from now until August, is off the field. Create a professional culture suited to modern football at BMH, and start afresh in the Championship. Get rid of anyone who doesn't contribute to that culture and only sign players who will.

Results from now until May are of little interest to me unless we by some miracle manage to significantly close the gap to 17th. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Maybe I'm thinking of somebody else, but weren't you saying this about Lambert for ages as well?

It's what Garde said In his post match interview about if he feels he can't get anything out of the players we will know about. Yeah, I did think Lambert would walk as he looked dreadful towards the end, he looked ill. 

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

It's what Garde said In his post match interview about if he feels he can't get anything out of the players we will know about. Yeah, I did think Lambert would walk as he looked dreadful towards the end, he looked ill. 

He's just frustrated - doesn't mean he's going to walk. He also knows that he'll probably be able to tear the squad up in the summer.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

in fairness to O'Leary he probably deserved to bring his own players in as he overachieved massively in his 1st season

1 hour ago, Xela said:

As someone has said before, Garde may be a good choice for a team with a solid base looking to improve, however I don't think he can stop a rot in a club. You need someone like Allardyce or Pulis or even Pearson for that. 

Garde seems a decent guy but he looks clueless with our team. I don't think he knows what to do with them. I don't any faith in him to lead us out of the championship next year.

Xela what makes you think Fox & Co will get someone like Allardyce,Pulis or Pearson? Or that they are the answer? For a start the first 2 mentioned wouldn't touch us with a barge pole and as much as people go on about Pearson the bloke ran a circus at Leicester who were in big trouble last season with arguable a much better squad and at the end many wanted him out. Regardless of their turn around at the end which was more due to the players imo, Vardy, Mahrez, Cambiasso all hitting form etc. We don't even have a decent out and out striker let alone a midfield general. Lambert for all those(including myself) that slated him whilst here, gained promotion with Norwich then came to us and look what happened. They bottom line is that just because a manager has done xyz with another club doesn't mean he will do that with Villa.

23 hours ago, av1 said:

This. Randy Lerner is the reason we are going to be relegated, not Remi Garde, not Tim Sherwood, Paul Lambert or Alex McLeish,  RANDY LERNER. 

Every Manager Lerner has employed has struggled to keep us afloat, are they all sh*t? 

As i said above, our squad is crap and their attitudes obviously stink, so who is going to come in and do any better? 

Are people still peddling this shite? There are plenty of teams who spend less than us who are not in relegation battles every season. Underinvestmwent is nothing but a massive kop out.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This for me is just straightforward logic. So far he has shown absolutely nothing, I keep reading how he needs a chance and needs to bring his own players in. But if we carry on like this, he simply doesn't deserve to say, he has not shown anything to suggest that he'll ever be a good manager for us, it's very concerning times indeed.

It's difficult to show how "good" a manager he is for us when:

1. The squad is poor with no depth 

2. The injuries, suspensions, dead wood and sulks this squad has

3. Players unable to implement the manager's direction, with no option to alternatives (see 1 & 2)

4. Stupid individual errors virtually every match (leading to goals)

It doesn't matter what he does on the training field, or what strategy he has, items 3 & 4 render this an impossible task until he has his own players. It's hard to make any impression when your players score own goals or silly penalties, or when four defenders in the box allow a single forward (Defoe) a shot on goal inside their own box.

He certainly isn't clueless like Sherwood, and all this clamour for experience and money hasn't helped McLaren, nor Sam at Sunderland really, and didn't seem a problem for Mourinho, Pellegrini or Pochettino in their success - good squads seem to be a common theme in the last there's success.

He may prove to be impotent, but give him time, I'd until the end f the season and after he adds his own players, and don't judge him on possibly the worst squad we have ever had.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Are people still peddling this shite? There are plenty of teams who spend less than us who are not in relegation battles every season. Underinvestmwent is nothing but a massive kop out.

Haha brilliant. Forget the fact we have a squad full of lower league rubbish and journeyman due to the fact Randy has made dramatic cuts, its all down to a couple of crap Managers. 

I wonder who is responsible for those?

Ridiculous post. 

Â