The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Today was the day I started the process of turning on him really. I promised I wouldn't demand yet another sacking this season, and I won't, not least because it won't happen. But he was a hopelessly mistaken appointment. We needed Allardyce; we got Garde. He has no idea how to manage in this situation, it's a totally new experience for him and he seems, nice man though he doubtless is, totally and utterly out of his depth. 

One of the reasons I promised I wouldn't turn on the new manager was that I felt fairly confident that no-one could fail to better Sherwood's dismal record of 4 points from 11 matches, and yet Garde has failed to better it. In fact it's worse, because at least Sherwood beat the lower-league cup opposition we faced. Garde's probably a better manager than Sherwood, in some way, but he will never prove it here IMO. We're going to need to replace him in the summer unless he massively turns around this team's form, and I mean he needs to win at least half a dozen matches. I think it's beyond him. 

Totally agree.

If this form doesn't turn around significantly then Remi Garde simply does not deserve the opportunity to sign his own players this summer, he must be replaced by someone who seems to have a clue.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Totally agree.

If this form doesn't turn around significantly then Remi Garde simply does not deserve the opportunity to sign his own players this summer, he must be replaced by someone who seems to have a clue.

Putting Garde to one side for the moment. Do you actually have any faith in the people making the managerial decisions to appoint someone who, as you say, has a clue?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

When we go on a run like we did at the start of the season it seems absolutely spot on that people would criticise the back end of last season with Sherwood.

People were very critical during the run last season. 

7 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Putting Garde to one side for the moment. Do you actually have any faith in the people making the managerial decisions to appoint someone who, as you say, has a clue?

Simply put "No" as theyve royally **** that up for as long as i can remember with no signs of it changing.

21 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

To be honest no, I don't.

I don't have faith in anyone, from Garde to the 'decision makers'. It's a sorry state of affairs indeed.

13 hours ago, KSV said:

You also have to factor Sherwood had them when confidence was normal and a full pre season. Garde has taken over with the side down in the dumps. We needed experience. Was a shocking appointment 

Sherwood came into club when the the club was down in the dumps and turned it round almost immediately. That's why you appoint a new manager, surely? Yes the Sherwood reign didn't work out in the end but at the time, the appointment galvanised us, we survived and reached a cup final. Yes, he deserved to be sacked in the end but Garde has done absolutely nothing since taking over and if the last 3 games (Norwich, Sunderland and Wycombe) are anything to go by, we are now getting worse then ever.

Garde does seem a nice guy and I hoped it would have worked out for him, but he seems to have no idea what to do with the team. I don't think he's a strong enough character. 

13 hours ago, Richard said:

Ive never seen and new manager come into a club to take over from a bad one , be worse and people let him off because it was shite before he joined so it seems to be acceptable that it's  still shite! Presumably he was brought in to be better than sherwood and get more out of the team. A ew manager is never going to have 100% his own players but he is expected to have managerial ability to get the best out of the players he has. There're is no improvement , we are further behind. If it is acceptable that it's as shit as Sherwood we may have just stuck with Sherwood 

see if Sherwood was shite (and he was) because the performances were bad and the performances are just as bad now then equally you have to judge Garde as shite . Or else if you are happy with Garde now you should have been happy with Sherwood then !

I have to agree with Richard here. We can't judge one manager as shite and let the other one off. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, mwj said:

I am happier with Garde because he's actually a football manager with experience at one of the world's biggest clubs.

Sherwood is a charlatan and a cockney prick who blagged a gullible American for 9 months.

But the charlatan has done a better job (marginally)

Garde may well be a football manager but I don't think he is the man for this club

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Neil said:

Simply put "No" as theyve royally **** that up for as long as i can remember with no signs of it changing.

Lambert was heralded as a good appointment at the time. I think Houlier would have been good, given a bit longer.

Not sure about the latest 2 but who was realistically available at the time?

Even now, who would want to join us in the summer? What would you realistically consider to be a good appointment? I have my doubts that we'd even attract someone like Sean Dyche now-Someone most didn't want when his name was connected to us previously.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

Would say a lot about his character, and not in a good way.

He looks closer to breaking point each week. He needs his coaching staff from Lyon. He can't cope IMO. He reminds me of Lambert at the end when didn't have much of a backroom team either 

As someone has said before, Garde may be a good choice for a team with a solid base looking to improve, however I don't think he can stop a rot in a club. You need someone like Allardyce or Pulis or even Pearson for that. 

Garde seems a decent guy but he looks clueless with our team. I don't think he knows what to do with them. I don't any faith in him to lead us out of the championship next year.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Drop every single one of those not listening and play kids . He has nothing to lose, we are down anyway, we expect to get beat by every team we face. Play the kids and see what response he gets and maybe, just maybe he will unearth a gem or two for next year

Agreed been saying this for the last few weeks. He is clearly unhappy with the first teamers so drop them...  It will give them game time that they need, give them the opportunity to prove their worth and may also give the first teamers a kick up the arse (it worked when Sherwood brought in Hepburn Murohy). We're losing anyway may as well try something else out

32 minutes ago, KHV said:

Garde will walk before the season is out

Doubt it.. I'm sure he's already said he'll stick with Aston Villa in the Championship if that is where we end up. 

His interview was with L'Equipe where he stated his project isn't short term and that if he has to rebuild from the Championship he has Lerner's full backing.

It's all going to depend on his resolve sitting in that dugout week in week out getting abuse, but it seems he's here for the long term. 

• Like 2

Villa are a laughing stock in football.

Unless the board uncover a complete gem from the lower leagues or abroad (obviously that's never going to happen as they are incapable of that kind of initiative), nobody is coming here with any kind of experience or reputation. I say reputation because that is crucial to get the fans and players on-side (see: O'Neill). We are absolutely f***ed.

Garde would do VERY well to steady this. The negativity at the club is crippling. I would be genuinely shocked if we won a game of football between now and the end of the season because, now the fans have turned, things are likely to get worse.

Horrible to think, but it's true.

• Like 1

Â