The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Wow. Bottom of the league, 4 points adrift and we have chosen a manager who has only ever managed for 3 years and even then didn't do particularly well.

He did a fantastic job. He had the rug pulled from under him with regards to money and had to build a team using youngsters. He won the French cup twice. Left for personal reasons and they wanted him to stay.

Moaning for the sake of moaning.

Moaning!? What on Earth are you talking about? I am stating, as a concerned Villa fan, that this a big risk. What don't you understand about that?

The bolded is moaning. It's not even true.

Ok so you would say he did a particyulaly good job at Lyon? A really good job? OK. I happen to think he did an average job at Lyon but football is about opinions and we have our own. I am fully behind him now that he is here but I can't help but think that this is a massive risk and I am very worried.

Not your point though was it?

You said 'he didn't do particularly well.'

From what I've read and heard, he did a fantastic job but I didn't follow Lyon at that time.

Ok. Well, I have been to see Lyon more than 10 times as I travel to watch a lot of European football. He wasn't bad, but in my opinion he didn't do so well in that time so as to deserve this gig. Just my opinion.

I genuinely believe that if we had appointed Pearson or Rodgers there'd be less talk of this being a "risk" or a "gamble", even though those two would be just as big risks as Garde. Let's face it, the media have drilled it into people that Premier League experience should trump everything else no matter what. Oh yeah, and only Brits (Wenger excepted) get the Premier League apparently.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

I genuinely believe that if we had appointed Pearson or Rodgers there'd be less talk of this being a "risk" or a "gamble", even though those two would be just as big risks as Garde. Let's face it, the media have drilled it into people that Premier League experience should trump everything else no matter what. Oh yeah, and only Brits (Wenger excepted) get the Premier League apparently.

The thing is, Wenger, Mourinho, Pocchetino etc...didn't take over a team who were rock bottom of the Premier League when they took over at their respective clubs. I wouldn't be too concerned about the risk if we were mid-table. There's a reason why clubs in trouble go for the likes of Pulis to get them out of trouble. Felix Magath had an excellent record in Germany and went to Fulham when they were bottom. That didn't turn out well.

Edited by One For The Road

Welcome Remi! Have a gameplan, sound tactics, understandable team selections and substitutions and this will work fine. If you have enough to save us from relegation that would be awesome. Also, play Ayew upfront instead of all the others.

it's a league with 20 teams, a handful of really good ones and a group of poor ones. I'm not sure what more there is to understand about the most televised league in the world. An irritating catch phrase with little substance.

Well we have been written off by a lot already this season so what have we got to lose? 

I am more excited by this than at any other point this season (barring the first 2 games) let's hope Remi coming in has ignited the passion in us fans again. Come on Villa! 

Btw if things are going badly at half time we could do with a sneaky pep talk from you Remi. 

• Like 1

The thing is, Wenger, Mourinho, Pocchetino etc...didn't take over a team who were rock bottom of the Premier League when they took over at their respective clubs. I wouldn't be too concerned about the risk if we were mid-table. There's a reason why clubs in trouble go for the likes of Pulis to get them out of trouble. Felix Magath had an excellent record in Germany and went to Fulham when they were bottom. That didn't turn out well.

I don't really see how Magath failing at Fulham proves anything? There are plenty of managers with PL experience who have gone into struggling clubs and failed. Also, you mention Pocchetino but Southampton were in a relegation battle when he took over so not too dissimilar to where we are now.

The only two "safe" options were Allardyce and Moyes. The former has just got a job and the latter probably wasn't interested in coming here. Everyone else is a risk.

Look how happy he is

CS02BCNWUAAzfth.jpg

He probably thought people in Birmingham were saying last season how much we liked him, but really it was just a bunch of Brummies talking about a rarely played Chelsea striker.

Welcome to the Villa.

Edited by StanBalaban

Well we have been written off by a lot already this season so what have we got to lose? 

I am more excited by this than at any other point this season (barring the first 2 games) let's hope Remi coming in has ignited the passion in us fans again. Come on Villa! 

Btw if things are going badly at half time we could do with a sneaky pep talk from you Remi. 

I fully expect him to go into the dressing room at half time.  He needs to give confidence to the lads and even if we're winning, I've no doubt he'll say a few words.  

Â