The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He won't be going back to Lyon then, will he?

Maybe not, Lyon are on good form lately and are only 1 point from CL spot after 3 wins and a draw. They are only 6 behind Monaco in 2nd and play them at home in the run in. If they CL football then they won't change manager

Remi got nothing from this squad...

.. just like Mourinho got nothing from his Chelsea squad. And it was his! And it was bloody good!

Does that make them both bad managers? Nope. Does that make them the wrong manager at the wrong time? Yes.

I would have liked to see Remi with something resembling his own squad - but it wasn't to be.

Good luck on your next gig - it can hardly be worse than the situation you found yourself in here.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

it took Hubert Fournier one season to get Champions League though with practically same players

Who'd have thought that players are better when they're 1) older  2) in a settled side and 3) are 3 seasons after being brought through into the first team

FWIW BOF's post above is probably the most balanced on the matter I've read.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I just think the guy has got more rope than any manager in club history, he even gets praised for work at Lyon which isnt spectacular. Im sure if we get promoted next season people will say it was all Remi good work ;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As sne says, context is everything but it's easier for some to look at points, or games won and make a judgement.

Perhaps but by the same token you can't just ignore results and performances either. You can have as much sympathy for Garde as you like, and I personally have plenty, but two wins in twenty games is a shocking return. You then take into account we got well beaten in a number of those 20 games and it was hard to make a case for him to be allowed to continue.

I fully accept this is a poor squad of players, I fully accept that they were low on confidence when he arrived and I fully accept for whatever reason he wasn't able to improve that squad in January. All that can't completely excuse and gloss over the fact that we have shown pretty much zero improvement over twenty games under Garde though. You add in the fact that things were only like to continue over the next 7 games as they have done over the last couple of months then regardless of how much sympathy I have for Garde I just couldn't see how he could be manager going into next season.

The only argument I could have seen for him to stay would have been if we could guarantee that the majority of the players would leave over the summer. The likelihood is though unfortunately that at least two thirds of this mob will remain. That would leave him managing a lot of players he has shown he has been unable to get anything out of or inspire, perhaps a number of players that don't like him and certainly a number of players that,had he have stayed on, would see him as the man who led them through 3/4 of a relegation season. It just wasn't feasible that he could continue.

I think most fans would accept that in the grand schemes of things he has been a bit part player in our relegation. The reasons for that are spread far and wide and go back over the last half a dozen seasons and for me ultimately rest with one man which is Randy Lerner.

We are where we are now and we have to look forward. To have gone into the Championship with Remi still as manager would have been a huge risk and a risk that I am glad the club have chosen not to take. It is all about who the new man is now and the need for him to be backed.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you're arguing with me about Mark to be honest. I haven't said it's the wrong decision for him to go. In fact, the sentence you quoted was mostly aimed the revisionism that he didn't do a good job at Lyon (which you've handily omitted)

Honestly, you've written 5 paragraphs for absolutely zero purpose, with little relevance to what I actually said.

I think it's right for him to go, and I'm fairly sure I've said as much in this thread.

Now we look forward.

Edited by StefanAVFC

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I just think the guy has got more rope than any manager in club history, he even gets praised for work at Lyon which isnt spectacular. Im sure if we get promoted next season people will say it was all Remi good work ;)

I WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY MITIGATING FACTORS FOR WHY A LITTLE EXTRA ROPE MIGHT BE GIVEN????

jesus, I'm boring myself talking about about this now.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Do you have to end every comment with a wink?

FYI, it makes you look snidey and unnecessary.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You have to look at his work at Lyon in context. They had financial cuts and sold many of their best players. There's a reason their chairman would welcome him back with open arms.

44 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Remi got nothing from this squad...

.. just like Mourinho got nothing from his Chelsea squad. And it was his! And it was bloody good!

Does that make them both bad managers? Nope. Does that make them the wrong manager at the wrong time? Yes.

I would have liked to see Remi with something resembling his own squad - but it wasn't to be.

Good luck on your next gig - it can hardly be worse than the situation you found yourself in here.

Theres no way you can say Mourinho was the wrong manager at the wrong time.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

Sherwood built this squad. Yes we had other people involved in the transfers, but Sherwood is the manager who oversaw the most disastrous transfer window in the history of the club, leaving us with the worst premier league squad we've ever had, and one of the worst premier league squads of all time.

He also sapped any confidence out of the players by starting the season with 1 win in 10 (and 8 losses).

Garde didn't do very well, but the main reason for that (in mine and many others' opinion) is that he took over that awful squad and got no backing to do anything to address it in January. He's had no opportunity to add anything to it and the players have now given up making his job untenable. He's not blameless by a long shot, but I would have thought it's pretty obvious why people stick up for Garde but are harder on Sherwood.

There's also the fact that, in all honesty, Garde is a nice bloke and Sherwood is a complete tosser, which probably makes people slightly more generous with him too.

I don't think Sherwood or any manager had that big impact on the transfers, yes he may have had final say, but they thrust on him. 

When Shwrwood was manager we were at least "in" games. Only losing by one goal the majority of time. Under Garde we have been comprehensively outplayed and out scored too easily.

I'd say Garde has just as much sapped confidence as Sherwood.

And the personality factor is the biggest reason people criticise Sherwood and for me it's the one I disagree with the most. I couldn't care less on the personality of the manager as long as they get results (not saying Sherwood did), look at fergie he was horrible but got results.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don't think Sherwood or any manager had that big impact on the transfers, yes he may have had final say, but they thrust on him. 

When Shwrwood was manager we were at least "in" games. Only losing by one goal the majority of time. Under Garde we have been comprehensively outplayed and out scored too easily.

I'd say Garde has just as much sapped confidence as Sherwood.

And the personality factor is the biggest reason people criticise Sherwood and for me it's the one I disagree with the most. I couldn't care less on the personality of the manager as long as they get results (not saying Sherwood did), look at fergie he was horrible but got results.

But none of that really goes against what I was saying.

It was asked why people give Garde more leeway than Sherwood. Mostly that's because Garde had no impact into who the squad was and had no chance to add to it.

Sherwood did. You may have bought the media talk that Sherwood had no input, but the fact is he was the manager at that time.

If you reverse the roles, if Garde had been here in the summer and Sherwood took over, then the attitudes would be reversed, regardless of personality. Garde would be shouldering more of the blame, and rightly so if he'd been the guy to assemble this bunch of jokers.

31 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Theres no way you can say Mourinho was the wrong manager at the wrong time.

The fact Hiddink, with the same squad, has them playing like they should be speaks volumes.

Now I'm not going to say Mourinho is a bad manager - his record speaks otherwise. He's also heavily tipped for the ManUre job.

However, he obviously wasn't right for Chelsea this season - ergo wrong manager at the wrong time.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But none of that really goes against what I was saying.

It was asked why people give Garde more leeway than Sherwood. Mostly that's because Garde had no impact into who the squad was and had no chance to add to it.

Sherwood did. You may have bought the media talk that Sherwood had no input, but the fact is he was the manager at that time.

If you reverse the roles, if Garde had been here in the summer and Sherwood took over, then the attitudes would be reversed, regardless of personality. Garde would be shouldering more of the blame, and rightly so if he'd been the guy to assemble this bunch of jokers.

I find that hard to believe. Given the attitude towards Sherwood last season with none of his own players while keeping us up and getting to an FA cup final.

No way would there have been online petitions for Sherwood to stay, posts hoping he gets a big pay off from the club and people giving him a free pass to lose majority of games. 

Edited by DCJonah

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I find that hard to believe. Given the attitude towards Sherwood last season with none of his own players while keeping us up and getting to an FA cup final.

No way would there have been online petitions for Sherwood to stay, posts hoping he gets a big pay off from the club and people giving him a free pass to lose majority of games. 

It's all speculation.

No, you're right, maybe there wouldn't be that extent of support, and that's probably where Garde not being an absolute tosspot gives him that extra bit of leeway. Which I did mention before and is understandable. I don't know why people are surprised that a manager that people actually like might be looked on more favourably than one who is a prick.

But my point was the main reason was the timing of their tenures, and people would apportion more blame to Garde in the situation of their tenures being swapped than Sherwood because it would have been garde who assembled the squad.

i'm even more disappointed in the club, but also questioning why he would leave under a completely new board who look like they might get things in place.

granted, he was unproven and wasn't as eccentric as sherwood, but as we all know, money does the talking in football, and with the introduction of transfer windows, almost every manager has the right to put his twist on a team, we never know, 3 new additions could of boosted the team out of relegation.

no club will succeed if they change their manager every few months, not only is villa not patient with their own choice of manager, but they don't go about signing the right manager in the first place.

Â