The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

33 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Xela what makes you think Fox & Co will get someone like Allardyce,Pulis or Pearson? Or that they are the answer? For a start the first 2 mentioned wouldn't touch us with a barge pole and as much as people go on about Pearson the bloke ran a circus at Leicester who were in big trouble last season with arguable a much better squad and at the end many wanted him out. Regardless of their turn around at the end which was more due to the players imo, Vardy, Mahrez, Cambiasso all hitting form etc. We don't even have a decent out and out striker let alone a midfield general. Lambert for all those(including myself) that slated him whilst here, gained promotion with Norwich then came to us and look what happened. They bottom line is that just because a manager has done xyz with another club doesn't mean he will do that with Villa.

Blind hope makes me think that they will make a decent appointment one day! 

Allardyce would take this job in a heartbeat. You've seen how fondly he has spoken of us in the papers. We may be in a mess and may be getting relegated but the Villa job is still a huge pull to a lot of people. Its a big club, a big name and a lot of managers would take the job IMO. 

I suggested Pearson because he has experience of managing in the championship and getting a team promoted from there. I don't agree that Leicester had a better squad then us last season, absolutely no way. He's not a long term solution but a short term fix to sort the current mess out and built a platform, like he did at Leicester. Then you appoint a manager with a bit more vision

I fully agree that just because a manager has done it somewhere else doesn't mean they can do it with Villa but what's the alternative? Stick with the current manager who doesn't appear to have a clue? Given a choice of a manager who has done it before in the championship or a manager who has no experience of it then i'll go with the former. 

If we had seen any improvement under Garde then I wouldn't be suggesting this but for someone who is so highly rated, he's not done any better than the previous incumbent, who has been described by many as a chancer/charlatan/prick (delete as appropriate)

We're in a huge mess and we need a strong character to come in and fix it. 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Haha brilliant. Forget the fact we have a squad full of lower league rubbish and journeyman due to the fact Randy has made dramatic cuts, its all down to a couple of crap Managers. 

I wonder who is responsible for those?

Ridiculous post. 

Did I say Lerner is faultless?

Look at our current squad. Lots of big money signings in there who have flopped spectacularly. Gestede cost 7m. Is it Randy Lerner's fault that Sherwood decided to spunk that on him?

11 minutes ago, thunderball said:
1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This for me is just straightforward logic. So far he has shown absolutely nothing, I keep reading how he needs a chance and needs to bring his own players in. But if we carry on like this, he simply doesn't deserve to say, he has not shown anything to suggest that he'll ever be a good manager for us, it's very concerning times indeed.

It's difficult to show how "good" a manager he is for us when:

1. The squad is poor with no depth 

2. The injuries, suspensions, dead wood and sulks this squad has

3. Players unable to implement the manager's direction, with no option to alternatives (see 1 & 2)

4. Stupid individual errors virtually every match (leading to goals)

It doesn't matter what he does on the training field, or what strategy he has, items 3 & 4 render this an impossible task until he has his own players. It's hard to make any impression when your players score own goals or silly penalties, or when four defenders in the box allow a single forward (Defoe) a shot on goal inside their own box.

He certainly isn't clueless like Sherwood, and all this clamour for experience and money hasn't helped McLaren, nor Sam at Sunderland really, and didn't seem a problem for Mourinho, Pellegrini or Pochettino in their success - good squads seem to be a common theme in the last there's success.

He may prove to be impotent, but give him time, I'd until the end f the season and after he adds his own players, and don't judge him on possibly the worst squad we have ever had.

A highly rated 'proper' manager that Garde has been described shouldn't be doing worse than someone who has been described as a 'chancer'.

The squad may be poor but he is showing absolutely nothing in his managerial stint so far. Can't even beat Wycombe. The performances against Norwich and Sunderland were spineless. And if a large chunk of the squad are sulking/have no faith in him, then that doesn't reflect well on the manager (or the players, of course)

You say experience hasn't helped at Sunderland.. well Sam has won 4 games, with (IMO) a worse squad than we have. We missed a trick not appointing him as he was available shortly before Sherwood was sacked. He would have won a couple of games at least and we'd be in with a more fighting chance.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope we start to win next week and we see vast signs of improvement but I can't see it, unfortunately 

19 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Certainly wasn't, we had some dodgy seasons but never a catastrophic run. It was frustration not pain.
MON wouldn't work with him but Doug knew MON was the right fit. He's the last good appointment we made.

Doug was a penny pinching sod but he ran the football side of the club well, he just let his personality rule too many long term decisions.

My comment was one of desperation but if there's nothing to learn from the Ellis/Lerner transition we really should just cut out losses in the lower leagues.

It is a matter of opinion, and mine is that he was taking us down that season. We had already been relegated twice under his stewardship, and he had also taken apart the side that won the European Cup. So how can you say he ran the football side of the club well?

I don't really understand the point of your last sentence, but we have plenty to learn from the tenures of both chairmen, in that we really need a chairman with the good of the club at heart, football knowledge, and bucketloads of cash. That will not be easy to obtain, and it is quite easy, as we know to our cost, to be taken over by a miserly egomaniac or a niaive, gullible clown.

1 hour ago, KHV said:

It's what Garde said In his post match interview about if he feels he can't get anything out of the players we will know about. Yeah, I did think Lambert would walk as he looked dreadful towards the end, he looked ill. 

Garde does not look ill, he looks angry.

• Like 1

No but it is  Lerner's fault that Sherwood only had £6m to spend on a striker after selling Benteke for £32m. Sure we spent money elsewhere but that was to replace a lot of the aforementioned lower league trash Lambert had to bring into the club. And whilst I'm not Lambert's biggest fan, that wasn't a criticism of Lambert, far from it, the poor sod had to rebuild a whole squad on tuppence. 

This cost cutting has seen us in 5 consecutive relegation battles. And after barely escaping last year, selling 2 of our best players including our captain and a striker that single handedly kept us up, we spend about £5m net. All this whilst (allegedly) the board and the Manager (all of whom Lerner employed) are pulling in opposite directions. 

Everyone could see we were designed to drop, apart from the one person that could do something about it. 

Lerner. 

33 minutes ago, Xela said:

Blind hope makes me think that they will make a decent appointment one day! 

Allardyce would take this job in a heartbeat. You've seen how fondly he has spoken of us in the papers. We may be in a mess and may be getting relegated but the Villa job is still a huge pull to a lot of people. Its a big club, a big name and a lot of managers would take the job IMO. 

I suggested Pearson because he has experience of managing in the championship and getting a team promoted from there. I don't agree that Leicester had a better squad then us last season, absolutely no way. He's not a long term solution but a short term fix to sort the current mess out and built a platform, like he did at Leicester. Then you appoint a manager with a bit more vision

I fully agree that just because a manager has done it somewhere else doesn't mean they can do it with Villa but what's the alternative? Stick with the current manager who doesn't appear to have a clue? Given a choice of a manager who has done it before in the championship or a manager who has no experience of it then i'll go with the former. 

If we had seen any improvement under Garde then I wouldn't be suggesting this but for someone who is so highly rated, he's not done any better than the previous incumbent, who has been described by many as a chancer/charlatan/prick (delete as appropriate)

We're in a huge mess and we need a strong character to come in and fix it. 

Mate I agree with some of your points but not with others..

I don't think Allardyce would come at the moment. For a start I don't think he would go to Sunderland and walk out to come to us under the current owner or board. I think he has far more honour than that and even if relegated will want to help them back up unless not backed by his own employers.

Also I don't agree about Leicester having a worse team than us last season. Most of their squad had been successful the season previously in getting them up so were far more in tune with each other and far more a team than ourselves for instance. Having a Cambiasso in the middle imo makes them an instantly better team than us and with very minimal change this season they are currently light years ahead of were we are.

Also as I mentioned previously Leicester were in serious trouble last season for a long time so what makes anyone think Pearson will do a job even in the short term here without major overhaul of the squad? And you even said youself he'd be a short term fix. Also as mentioned Lambert brought Norwich up and look what happened.

I am not saying Garde is the answer and for myself if he isn't backed with at least 2 signings this january or improvement doesn't happen before the end of the season then he should be sacked or walk. What I have to question though is of the names mentioned to replace Garde nobody knows whether or not they have a stronger character than him or would be able to carry out a short term fix. It's just straw clutching.  

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Can we get Lambert back please. Maybe he'd find us another Benteke for nothing.

Last 4 games in charge at Blackburn - 0 goals scored

He's lost his head there already

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

It is a matter of opinion, and mine is that he was taking us down that season. We had already been relegated twice under his stewardship, and he had also taken apart the side that won the European Cup. So how can you say he ran the football side of the club well?

I don't really understand the point of your last sentence, but we have plenty to learn from the tenures of both chairmen, in that we really need a chairman with the good of the club at heart, football knowledge, and bucketloads of cash. That will not be easy to obtain, and it is quite easy, as we know to our cost, to be taken over by a miserly egomaniac or a niaive, gullible clown.

Fair enough if you thought we'd have gone down but compared to how we played and finished from 92 onwards Lerner has been a nightmare when making his own decisions.
I also don't think Lerner has to make the right football decisions, but he has to employ someone below him who sees how a club should look in 10 years, sustainability wise. Even if he only had a 5 year plan, he still makes the final call. That ties with the manager you choose. 
I don't think Lerner gets that and I think that's the most important factor for any club. Fair play he backed Lambert but he never appeared to change the negative aspects of Lambos reign. I think Ellis would've.
Also I wasn't around for the European cup squad but from what I read the good about Ellis and the misfortune is usually left out of the tale.

I can't remember what I wrote (long few days) but I'll assume I did say 'well', in that case I'll change that to well run club in comparison. I remember how much I hated having Ellis but it was despair because we wouldn't step up and not because we were failing everywhere.
Then there is the fact that Lerner has failed outside the club too, Ellis was always passionate about being a community club. And I'm not buying the Acorns link, it was commercially savvy on a few fronts....until it suddenly wasn't! 

Also I don't think you need bucket loads of cash to be midtable and compete in cups but you need a plan more than luck.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Not sure about him, he persists with the same formation that has not worked so far, persists with Gestede. What he should have done is make us harder to beat, maybe 4-5-1, who knows we may just have got lucky and won a game or two.

Â