The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It was nigh on impossible to dribble the ball in the second half, I don't really see how Adama or Grealish could have worked.  That match needed 100% effort, and I thought we were going for it right until the last minute of stoppage time when we settled for the corner flag.

Adama yes but I think Grealish would have been good in those conditions. i think so anyway!

No sense of urgency in the dying embers of the game from the players, which is either him settling for the draw or completely unarsed players.

We were somewhat overwhelmed by Sherwoods over the top charisma, which I found irritating in the wake of his poor results and promisicuous team selections but jesus, I would fall asleep pretty much instantly in a room held by Garde, be that the dressing room.

Boring, doesnt utilize his bench, or team for that matter. Cant believe people genuinely dig this nut-job. Absolutely pony-meat.

• Like 1

He's pretty much stuck with the back four we've got due to a piss squad and injuries, so not getting tanked with Bacuna at left back is a small miracle. As for calls for Gil, Grealish, and Adama to come on. Recently Grealish has been awful, Adama would give the ball away way too much in those conditions. Gil maybe, but it was a bruising encounter and he is fairly lightweight. We just don't have the right options in the squad.

I like Garde but he did disappoint me today. That Newcastle defence was just awful, Colo got ruined by Ayew countless times and Dummett couldn't even handle Hutton. For me if we actually attacked them with maybe Adama/Gil we could have caused some real problems. I guess a point is better than nothing though. 

• Like 1

I like Garde but he did disappoint me today. That Newcastle defence was just awful, Colo got ruined by Ayew countless times and Dummett couldn't even handle Hutton. For me if we actually attacked them with maybe Adama/Gil we could have caused some real problems. I guess a point is better than nothing though. 

Totally agree with this.

Heavy pitch and we only used one sub. Sanchez for either Adama/Gil to run at their tired defence would've been interesting.

Think we've let a chance to get a win slip today

Garde bottled it today. We had great momentum 2nd half but the one player absolutely out on his feet was Veretout. He wasted 3 great counter attacks with woeful passes as he was done in. He absolutely needed to be replaced with Gil/Grealish on 70 minutes. Garde missing this was criminal for me.

We need to win games now and the fact he bottled it today worries me. 2nd half we had great momentum and were really on the front foot. We had some great opportunities that nearly all stopped with misplaced passes from a very tired Veretout. Gil /Grealish or Traore to replace him for the last 15 was crucial and the fact he was afraid to make the change that was so badly needed was not good at all... 

I like Garde, and I can see what he's trying to do. We don't just need sorting out defensively we need a consistent starting 11 who each know where the other is without thinking about it and that takes time, requires team players and an awful lot of patience. Then you can start to swap players in and out. I think he's slowly turning the ship around but we just don't have time for it to keep us in the PL. But at least when we go down we 'll have a solid on field philosophy in place and hopefully won't lose too many players - who at that stage may be performing quite well.  As for being uninspiring we keep playing better in the second half so he must be saying something right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand this thread. During the week, I see many of the same posters who've written on the last three pages, demanding we sack yet another manager, saying 'we're down', how they've accepted it etc. What I'm slowly realising is that most people on here are very fond of saying they've accepted relegation, but they haven't at all. Not even slightly. Because if you forget our league situation - which you would do if you've already really accepted relegation - then a draw away at Newcastle on a sodden pitch with a decent second-half performance actually isn't a terrible result. It's only a terrible result if you're still looking at the league table. 

My point is this - in my opinion, the result didn't matter. It doesn't make any difference whether we're 8 points from safety, or 10 points from safety, or 500 points from safety, we're going down. I really believe that. Now some other people don't accept that, they say things like 'until we're mathematically down, there's always a chance'. And that's fine! I don't agree with them, but it makes sense for those people to be annoyed about this result. But not for someone who says 'we're down' from Monday morning to Friday night. 

Agreed. It's the same people that are saying we're down who are slagging off Garde very unfairly.

I get criticising the manager. He should have made the final change. But to sack him after 6 games? Call him a giant prick, nut-job and word removed?

Nah.

36 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Unarsed?  For me the players put absolute total effort into that.  Did people not notice it absolutely pissed down with rain, making it twice as hard to run and twice as difficult to play the ball.  We even put men forward for the free kick at the end and almost cost ourselves a point on the counter a few times.  I'm pretty proud of that second half performance, particularly Ayew and Okore.

Yes and thats why he needed fresh legs.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

The damage had already been done long before Garde even come to the club

We simply do not have the quality in terms of players to stay in this division

But that begs the question, why is it that we actually tend to play well when we go a goal down, there's a clear difference in desire and aggression when we're losing versus when we're drawing. 

I just don't think Garde is able to properly motivate and instill confidence into them from the get go,

Â