The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was.

But like I said above I think we could have employed Ancelotti or Mourinho and they would have probably been woeful.

He MIGHT be a terrible manager. I just don't think we can conclude that from his time here.

I don't agree but no point reliving that one.

• Like 1

He wanted to sign Khazri in that window, who went on to be pretty vital in Sunderland's run to safety (gone to shit since then though). Our forward options were bad enough that Doumbia would probably have played quite a lot if he'd come here. 

22 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Agreed. He was a disaster for us and has to take a portion of the blame for us getting relegated.

A portion yes. 

But the damage was already done by the time he came. Another manager may have performed better, but I don’t think anyone would have kept us up. 

In terms of managers, Tim Sherwood is the man responsible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

A portion yes. 

But the damage was already done by the time he came. Another manager may have performed better, but I don’t think anyone would have kept us up. 

In terms of managers, Tim Sherwood is the man responsible. 

Some of the damage had been done yes. When Garde came in we were only 4 points off safety if I recall correctly.

In terms of managers Sherwood and Garde are both responsible.

Obviously adding in the Lerner factor it was one big turd sandwich!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You say "only" 4 points off safety like we were doing ok.

No, I say it because factually we were 4 points off safety when Sherwood left - clearly we weren't doing OK otherwise we wouldn't have been 20th!

Of course there were big problems for Garde to deal with when he came in but he failed across a period of 23 game to make any material difference.

I don't recall enjoying one match under Garde's leadership. He was that bad! Good luck to him in his latest managerial position though.

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

A decent manager should be able to come in and at least motivate the players, even if the squad is poor. Garde came in and actually made us worse - no mean achievement.

He didn’t though. We were still terrible, but we were better than the 4 points from 10 games garnered at the start of the season.

I’m quite surprised that this is his first job since leaving Villa. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

He didn’t though. We were still terrible, but we were better than the 4 points from 10 games garnered at the start of the season.

I’m quite surprised that this is his first job since leaving Villa. 

Sherwood managed 10 wins in 28, Garde managed 3 in 23. I reckon he made us worse. Although this is a bit of a which-is-the-tastiest-turd contest...

14 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Sherwood managed 10 wins in 28, Garde managed 3 in 23. I reckon he made us worse. Although this is a bit of a which-is-the-tastiest-turd contest...

It’s pointless taking into account the previous season. Garde wasn’t working with that. He was working with the Sherwood mess that is the main reason we are where we are now. Not the cup final team, the 8 losses in 10 team. 

• Like 1

Sherwood was a chancer lets be honest but he was no worse than Garde. I expected more from him. He should have got more of a tune out of Gana, Ayew, Veretout etc. Then again the damage was done in the transfer window when we didn't buy a proven striker. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2017 at 10:36, MrDuck said:

Sherwood had a inform benteke, Garde didnt 

Edited by Demitri_C

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Except he was. 

Maybe. Pointless argument though. They were both shit. Although saying that, it is unfair to define how good of a manager Garde is based on his spell at Villa considering he had no chance to improve the team and morale was already terrible. 

Â