The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

First time since the Sunderland game we've not lost when going behind. I'm hopeful that the character shown in the second half is a positive that the players can build on. 

I can't help but feel if we had taken the lead and were then pegged back level it would have been another knock in confidence despite the result being the same.

Of course, losing next week will yet again undo any good work achieved today.

At least after today I feel we can muster the confidence to take the game to the opposition.

• Like 1

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

First time since the Sunderland game we've not lost when going behind. I'm hopeful that the character shown in the second half is a positive that the players can build on. 

I can't help but feel if we had taken the lead and were then pegged back level it would have been another knock in confidence despite the result being the same.

Of course, losing next week will yet again undo any good work achieved today.

At least after today I feel we can muster the confidence to take the game to the opposition.

Aye, I am positive too. I think Remi knows that we are down, so all he is aiming for in the short term is just some frekin performances from his players. When we see a team that Remi has full confidence in, is when we start getting it right.

.......and back to the Remi Garde thread, he is certainly improving the team. Corippling lack of confidence and elementary errors is still a problem, but a steady improvement is visible.

Despite the valid points made by others, I did feel a sub should have been made with 10/15minutes to go, just to give us a chance and fresh legs. 

Interested to see who he will bring in during January.

People are angry at the club but crazy to turn on Garde before he's had a chance to build anything yet. I think long term he's got potential to do OK, no one is going to do well here while Lerner remains in charge. 

I'm just really disappointed with his approach to it all at the moment.

• Like 1

That's fair enough, he did quite a good job there, but 6 games in and it has been shite so far, it's harsh, but we needed an instant impact and we haven't had it, and it's not like we've had 'un-winnable' games. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I don't think he can save us but while we needed an impact its hard with a squad that's pretty bloody awful. 

What doesn't help is the negative approach he seems to have. I really hope we haven't got Lambert 2.0 and we see a change in this. Even if it doesn't save us, I think we need to start in the championship on the front foot. And a season of relegation playing a fairly negative approach won't really help that. 

I suppose it would depend on what you consider an un-winnable game is.

I would say, for this current Aston Villa team, that Man City, Everton and Arsenal are 3 un-winnable games. The other 3 games, there is an argument they could be seen as winnable. 

I think that's ultimately the difference. Bournemouth, Norwich etc don't seem to see Man Utd, Chelsea etc as un-winnable. Our record against the top six has been terrible for a while now.

Don't get me wrong, on balance I'm (slightly) underwhelmed so far. I would have expected one win by now. But I'm choosing to remain hopeful that this is very much a work in progress and that he can bring a stability to this club, even if it means having to do so in the Championship.

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bring back Tim. A better team would have destroyed us. Newcastle had zero belief and its why we got a draw

2nd half we had them under the cosh and never brought on Grealish or Adama

This is a joke I assume?

• Like 3

Few questionable changes by and large.  But I share season tickets with the most pessimistic bunch you could ever meet...including myself.  And what they saw was a poor first half, and great second half.  First half being more even than anything, 2nd half totally outclassing them.

Turn that into 90 mins and we have winners on our hands, I have them down for the season...please god prove me wrong, and from what I'm hearing...the 2nd half is a taste of proving me well wrong.

Up the villa.

A least Garde does appear to be able to consistently get a half-time reaction. Now if he could just sort out the start of the game.

Newcastle came out in the 2nd like the game was done and dusted, cheers brolly boy!

1 minute ago, villakram said:

A least Garde does appear to be able to consistently get a half-time reaction. Now if he could just sort out the start of the game.

Newcastle came out in the 2nd like the game was done and dusted, cheers brolly boy!

consistently? that was 1st time he did. Arsenal stopped playing 2nd half last week

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

consistently? that was 1st time he did. Arsenal stopped playing 2nd half last week

errr, maybe reaction is a bit strong, but we are changing w.r.t. the first half and this is an improvement form the previous situation... every positive is a positive in our situation.

Â