Pre Match Thread

maqroll

The only way we get something from this is if we have a new manager bounce.

---------------------Guzan-------------------

Bacuna---Lescott----Clark-----Amavi

Adama---Sanchez--Veretout---Gil

---------Ayew-------Sinclair--------------

GUZAN

HUTTON - RICHARDS - CLARK - AMAVI

SANCHEZ -  GANA

TRAORE              GIL        GREALISH

AYEW

Two holding midfielders will be needed with Kane dropping deep and Eriksen causing havoc. 

That top 4 will cause hell on the break. The 3 in behind the striker are all good enough to interlink and swap positions when required.

• Like 4

GUZAN

HUTTON - RICHARDS - CLARK - AMAVI

SANCHEZ -  GANA

TRAORE              GIL        GREALISH

AYEW

Two holding midfielders will be needed with Kane dropping deep and Eriksen causing havoc. 

That top 4 will cause hell on the break. The 3 in behind the striker are all good enough to interlink and swap positions when required.

Why won't we play that team?! 3-0 Spurs

No doubt we'll be giving away plenty of stupid free kicks around the 18yard box where Eriksen doesnt mess about. Kane off the back of a hat trick with naive defenders to feed on. Richards might not be available. I dont trust K-Mac to pick a team that will at least give us a chance. Sky live game, we're in for a bad night.

4-0.

Just hope we can somehow nick a point here, stop the rot and then hopefully have Garde in by Manc City game to begin the most unlikely of recoveries 

I'd almost be tempted to go with Hutton RB and Crespo LB (Clark and Richards at CB), just to try and get some solidity.

Praying Gestede is dropped and Ayew takes his place up top.

Get Grealish and Gil behind Ayew and they'll love him running the channels for their through balls.

I've gone for 3-1 but I'm not sure where the 1 will come from.  At this point I'm resigned to the fact we will have a more impressive looking bench than front 4.

formation should be 5 at the back and 4 in the middle and 1 up front, play for the draw!!!

Our problem is we have zero ability to achieve a draw if we play for it. Our only draw this season came against the worst team in the league (at the time) when we were favourites and trying to win the game. Our problem is due to our lack of quality up front and considering how there's no link whatsoever between our midfield and attack this subsequently means our defence is put under immense pressure when the opposition has the ball. Add to that how Guzan and the individuals have been gifting goals away means we have no notion or concept for drawing a football game. 

With your suggested formation of 5-4-1 the big problem is if (when) we concede we then struggle to identify a plan to resurrect the situation (Sherwood struggled massively with this) and our defensive formation becomes an advantage to the opposition and if, like at Liverpool, we persist with the same shape and go two goals down we face a mammoth task to try and rescue the game - a test we have shown (largely down to the inability of using tactics from our previous management) is one step too far for us.

Morale of my point: any other Prem team could use a 5-4-1 to stifle Spurs and restrict them. Not Aston Villa, unfortunately. 

Edited by roonst83