Ratings and Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

The performance was ok and we were probably the better team overall, let down by some dross players in certain areas of the pitch and conceding terrible goals.  Drop Richardson, Gestede, Gabby and put Richards in beside one of Clark/Okore/Crespo. A frontline consisting of Ayew, Gil, Kozak would be good imo

Wasn't there. Didn't watch it. However I can imagine it being exactly the same as all season, some nice touches here and there, a bit static in defence, no penetration up front.

Will only be solved by some serious investment in a few really good forwards in January. Almstadt and Riley do have to take the blame for only buying Gestede to replace Benteke.

This thread is about to be full of Paul Lambert wannabes. I want to break that mold a bit:

We looked good. Not great, but good. KMac put out a poor looking team, set them up well and we look the better side for most of the game.

Same old Villa, we went behind and lost the plot. For me though, the signs of optimism were there.

A new manager can come in and only has to fight until Christmas for points. In January, we need a new striker.

If we had a decent striker on the field today, I think we would have gone ahead in the first half and it would be a different game.

Yes it's another loss, but not in our most important competition, with a caretaker manager, and we looked better than I've seen us in weeks.

The optimism, at least for me, is back. The beer is also good.

all 30 pints of it? 

• Like 1

i think the result will distort what i at least thought was the reality, we were better than we have been in a long time, and i dont mean better in that we were perfect or didnt make mistakes and i think the first goal showed that we are still depressing bad when it comes to desire and wanting to win a ball which is simply unacceptable, but we showed better organisation, better shape, better formation, better understanding of pressing and positioning (i know clark getting done by a bit of clever movement doesnt suggest that)

think we were once again let down by a slightly dodgy line up and then some poor subs, i can see and understand that kmac and sherwood and no doubt the next manager wont want to play a pairing from gabby, ayew and sinclair, they'll want gestede in there to offer a variance, but the bloke simply isnt good enough, ayew should have started, amavi and bacuna should have stayed on and we should have gone for the game

southampton stepped up a gear in the 2nd half and they are a better team than us and it showed, from their point of view that 2nd goal is pure class, from ours its awful defending

we werent dreadful by any stretch, we were the better team for a decent portion of the game, both of their goals were absolutely avoidable which is disapointing but despite the result i didnt think we were as bad 

• Like 3

the kind of results that happen when you are in the shit. We were actually solid enough for the most part, but 2 moments where we switched off and its 2 goals against. Guzan had nothing to do apart from pick the ball out of the net twice.

Gestede really should not be starting, Amavi needs to stop bottling 50/50 balls. 

thats pretty much my view on it as well, apart from its not just amavi who has that problem... apart from clark, richards and maybe hutton i wouldnt fancy anyone in our entire squad to win a 50/50

If we did look the better side, and that's very debatable, it's because Southampton didn't have to get out of first gear all match. 

No positives to take from that at all.

I do think some organisation will do us good though....players don't seem to know their jobs...it's a mish-mash of what comes out of my bottom.

What is Kozac doing, that's kept him out that side? Sherwood's wife? 

Full of stories of a dynamic line up, with players coming back into the fold, I fancied a win tonight. Instead I got the worst midfield in recent memory, and Gabby and Rudy up front again. We never looked like scoring. Even when we had the chances, they were never going to go in. Then sure enough, we roll over and get our soft under belly tickled. A familiar pattern, that is going to see us fall of the edge this season, after years of pushing our luck.  

The one thing that has been lacking from us as a team for far to long is desire and fight, we are so soft and I hope the new manager can get them fired up and giving everything from the first minute til the last similar to Leicester.

• Like 1

Crespo looked ok, Westwood did some nice corners, their keeper made some good saves. Same defensive howlers as every other game. End.

if Kevin Mac is going to shit himself in a meaningless cup game then God knows how many defenders he'll play vs Spurs. We may see the McCleish 'how many defenders can you play in one game' record broken.