Ratings and Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Pherrrr.

We were alright, we looked good in some aspects, we just didn't look like scoring. 

A bit of confidence will make a world of difference.

The cameras caught a Lerner Out banner being unfurled at the end there - for those that are interested in these things.

I thought we were siging "we want Sherwood out, say we want Sherwood out" bizarrely, as in another piss take song.

Turns out it was lerner they were ssinging about

Almstadt and Riley do have to take the blame for only buying Gestede to replace Benteke.

I think you'll find Gestede was one of our ex-managers signings. Another thing he got wrong.

How do you know?

Also, I said only buying Gestede, meaning Gestede isn't the problem, the problem is that they used the budget wrong on the players they got. The committee got the spread of players wrong.

This line that is rolled out about "team selection" tickles me.

what is this "best team" that many allude to?

it doesn't matter what permutation is selected from this squad......it loses.

Edited by TRO

Well it was a strange game and in all honesty both sides were crap.

Southampton made a lot of changes and it showed they really struggled to get any rhythm in their attacking play and we contained them very well in the first half. If anything we had more chances albeit very slight ones.

Second half we came out and made a mistake which changed the game straight away. Amavi was weak in the tackle (you can't afford to do that in England) and then they go a long and poke it in the bottom corner from 20 yards. After that the game was won, both sides had set up to get the first goal and close it out from there. I thought KMac took too long to change it as we never looked like getting back into the game with the side he started with.

It wasnt painful viewing for me (I've seen a lot lot worse) but if you were a neutral it certainly was. When you're in a run like we are you get punished for every mistake and thats what happened here. Shame because Southampton are obviously not that bothered about this cup and with other big teams thinking likewise there is a good opportunity for someone to get to Wembley.

Also with regards to Grealish, Gil, Ayew etc have to agree with everyone. I'm old fashioned I like to play my best players on the pitch rather than the bench. I find that to be a useful starting point when picking the team. Surprised KMac was so conservative. What did he have to lose?

Completely disagree.

How's about a this permutation:

------------------------Ayew-----------------------
Gil-----------------Grealish-------------Traore
------------Gana-------------Sanchez----------
Amavi--------Okore---Richards-----Hutton
-----------------------Guzan-----------------------

When this team plays, and loses, I'll call us shit. 
Until then, its mismanagement that is badly affecting us.

The whole squad is a write off. They either literally can't play together or each individual is just pure shit (probably a mix). It would be interesting to see what a manager like Ronald Koeman could do with our lot, he makes the likes of Shane Long (I know didn't play last night), Davies and Caulker play like world beaters. As it stands, we are ****. No fight or interest in half of them... looking at the likes of Bacuna + Sanchez... don't deserve to wear the shirt.

Completely disagree.

But even there, you've got Gil playing on the left, a position he's never played in and one in which we wouldn't expect to see him. It's easy to say we have to play our best team, or our best players, but it's very difficult to say exactly what that is, do you squeeze in the best players even if they're out of position, or do you play a player that isn't as talented but is a natural fit for a role? 

I think MacDonald went natural fit, I think he could have selected a better eleven without straying too far from that principle but I would think he had one eye on the league and resting players. It wasn't our best team, it might not have been our best available selection, it was round pegs in round holes, even if I'd suggest that maybe the shape wasn't the right idea from the start.

BOF, Gil would be our best player regardless of whether he played on the right or the left.

You also mentioned him as the only players to be 'out of position' so to speak... That team above is our best team and as I've mentioned, when we lose playing it, I'll accept we're shit and going down.

BOF, Gil would be our best player regardless of whether he played on the right or the left.

You also mentioned him as the only players to be 'out of position' so to speak... That team above is our best team and as I've mentioned, when we lose playing it, I'll accept we're shit and going down.

I think you're misunderstanding my point (and my identity :) ) the idea of playing our best team is one that a lot of people talk about - but most of those people would disagree on what our best team is - I think you're unlikely to see that team, you're probably more likely to see what some other people would think is our best team, and less likely to see what some other people would see as our best team - but the idea that you need to see one specific (and pretty unlikely) line up before you can judge us is slightly flawed in my opinion.

Completely disagree.

I like that line up, but I'd move Gil to the right and Adama to the reserves until he learns how to play with 10 other players on his team.

• Like 2