Ratings and Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Yeah, not a spectactular suicide but a suicide nonetheless after some good hard work. 0-0 at half time it was there for the taking really, they were not all that. Sat off them for the first goal and then you could just see the belief disappear really. Amavi should have stayed on and not Richardson, but the 4-4-2 just was not going to trouble a Koeman team overly much. We did make some chances but never looked really likely to do any damage.

Westwood was good, Amavi looked bright but lacked the end product, Crespo did some good things and then was caught trying to hold a retreating line instead of putting pressure on the ball. Gestede, meh, Ayew nice run fo rthe penalty but gave the ball away a lot. Gabby, same old Gabby, nice shot after the Grealish air shot, stretched them more than Gestede did. Sinclair got his goal but him and Gabby up top is not going to win us games in a 4-4-2, as 2 of a 3 maybe worth it but in a 4-4-2 I just don't see it. Hutton worked hard, Bacuna got in good positions but lacked quality at times, Grealish is a talent but I'm not sure he's a winger really (in the 4-4-2 sense anyway). Sanchez good enough, Clark I think can still be a good player for us. Guzan, solid but should he be getting beaten from that distance, even if it's in the corner?

Overall, I still think we have the personnel to get out of the shit, they need to believe though and that will take a good manager demonstrating he knows his onions everyday on the training pitch and getting them organised in a system that gets the best out of them.   

. I don't believe the club is actively looking to be sold, I think the lack of initial interest has made him more than happy to sit on it until he gets the price he wants, regardless of the effect it has on our club. 

This makes no sense; again you're talking bollocks. He doesn't want to spend any more of his own money, so just by sitting on it, he faces the real danger of the club getting relegated. If that happens, how does this lead him to get the "maximum amount" as you've suggested a few posts ago!? It doesn't. Relegation means he gets much less. He doesn't want to invest any more - he lobbed another £90m at us to convert loans to equity not so long ago - he's done with it. Finding a buyer ASAP before we end up in the Championship is in his best interests. 

• Like 2

• Stekelenburg 
  • 03 Yoshida 
  • 26 Caulker 
  • 17 van Dijk 
  • 33 Targett 
  • 16 Ward-Prowse 
  • 12 Wanyama 
  • 23 Ramírez (Davis - 68' ) 
  • 20 Juanmi (Tadic - 69' ) 
  • 14 Romeu 
  • 19 Pellè

people saying southampton played a weakened team. I feel they had at least 7 starters tonight. Compare that with who we'd consider our best XI. Guzan, Hutton, Clark and Amavi (playing out of position) maybe one of agbonlahor or gestede at a push but I don't feel we put out a "stronger" team at all, infact I think we put out a weaker team (probably at the request of Fox/Almstadt/Garde?). Even though second half was poor I thought we looked a lot better organised and there is a glimmer of hope that if the right man comes in, we could start competing a lot better. I may be a little hopeful but oh well.

• Like 1

He also said that a new chairman would be appointed in the summer. What happened to that? He seems to say stuff so we can't say anything about him. But I don't believe he's desperate to sell, he's more than happy to watch this team struggle and drop until he gets the maximum amount of money. I really don't think applying pressure to him from the fans and the media could do us any harm.

I don't really understand what you mean. They are two mutually exclusive statements. If we 'drop' to the Championship he will get much less money. In fact I doubt anyone would want us as our turnover gets shredded.

. I don't believe the club is actively looking to be sold, I think the lack of initial interest has made him more than happy to sit on it until he gets the price he wants, regardless of the effect it has on our club. 

This makes no sense; again you're talking bollocks. He doesn't want to spend any more of his own money, so just by sitting on it, he faces the real danger of the club getting relegated. If that happens, how does this lead him to get the "maximum amount" as you've suggested a few posts ago!? It doesn't. Relegation means he gets much less. He doesn't want to invest any more - he lobbed another £90m at us to convert loans to equity not so long ago - he's done with it. Finding a buyer ASAP before we end up in the Championship is in his best interests. 

Does he need to sell us to get by? Is he desperate for money? If we're relegated and it takes us a few years to get back to the league is his life gonna be any different? Of course it won't help, don't think I claimed it would, but I don't think he's that bothered. He'll hold onto the club until he gets the money he wants for it. If he did care then we certainly could have acted a lot different the last few years to ensure relegation wasn't even an issue to worry about. 

He also said that a new chairman would be appointed in the summer. What happened to that? He seems to say stuff so we can't say anything about him. But I don't believe he's desperate to sell, he's more than happy to watch this team struggle and drop until he gets the maximum amount of money. I really don't think applying pressure to him from the fans and the media could do us any harm.

I don't really understand what you mean. They are two mutually exclusive statements. If we 'drop' to the Championship he will get much less money. In fact I doubt anyone would want us as our turnover gets shredded.

as explained above, I don't think it's his plan, hence sacking Lambert and Sherwood, but its not going to make much difference to him is it? He'll just hold onto the club longer. He's not doing anything, he's not investing money. It's just something he owns. Like an expensive car sitting in the garage for years until someone buys it. 

To answer the dilapidated house analogue; I either lower my value to get rid of it or I invest to make it sell quicker. I do not just sit by and let it rot through inaction. I am intelligent enough to realise I've made a mistake and do everything I can to recover the maximum amount I can in the quickest time possible whilst recognising I'm going to take a big hit financially. I then get on with my life and me and my old neighbours are all a lot happier.

And selling for £1 doesn't mean new owners can't afford to buy us at £200m, it just means they don't recognise that as good value. Villa simply aren't worth the money Lerner wants, doesn't mean the prospective buyers couldn't afford it - so simply drop the price to a point that someone sees it as good value. You may even start a bidding war. The new owners couldn't do a worse job of investing nothing every year.

We MUST have teenagers in the lower ranks who would pose more of a threat upfront?  

Or.

We just play Grealish, Gil, Ayew and Traore.

Perish the thought. Imagine using your best players all at the same time. It's crazy. You crazy mad man.

• Like 3

Ridiculous starting lineup. Southampton outclassed us in the second half when they stepped it up a notch. Hard to take positives from that performance. Richardson, Gabby and Gestede continue to be shite. Hutton had a strange game. Sometimes he was awful and other times he was quite decent 

Edited by Arj Guy

as explained above, I don't think it's his plan, hence sacking Lambert and Sherwood, but its not going to make much difference to him is it? He'll just hold onto the club longer. He's not doing anything, he's not investing money. It's just something he owns. Like an expensive car sitting in the garage for years until someone buys it. 

But surely he wants to get as much money as he can (car or club)? If not he could have offered the club for a really low price months or years ago. If your observation is Lerner has made a complete hash of owning us then I agree but as I understand it much of the debt and maybe the shares are owned by his family trusts which will mean the trustees of which he is probably one need to get the best exit price.

Sorry a bit OT, I'll shut up now!

Edited by Harry

Regarding Lerner, doesn't the money belong to his family rather than just him? I'm sure there is a family trust, which makes it more understandable why they are holding out for the full price.

Regarding tonight's game, pitifully predictable from Villa.

The only reason I can think of for that stupid line-up is that we were training with that all week.

That or K Mac is also clueless.

Or somehow we've missed something and if we did indeed play Ayew, Grealish, Gil and Traore we'd have lost 8-0.

I know I'm in a different timezone these days, but that was the first time in my life that I'd completely forgotten we were playing until a couple of hours after it had finished.

In 2008, when I lived in Amsterdam, I had a season ticket.

That's how far things have gone.

Let's get things into perspective. We were beaten away from home by one of the form teams in the league. Can the same be said for Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd? Will being knocked out of the league cup by inferior opposition define their season and end up with them spiralling downwards? No, of course it won't and it won't define our season either. We need to focus on the PL without the distraction of added games in a competition we are nowhere near good enough to win anyway.

• Like 2