Ratings and Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Pherrrr.

We were alright, we looked good in some aspects, we just didn't look like scoring. 

A bit of confidence will make a world of difference.

The cameras caught a Lerner Out banner being unfurled at the end there - for those that are interested in these things.

What's the point of a Lerner Out banner? The man agrees with the sentiment himself!

And the fact people buy into this let's him get away with it over and over again.

Pherrrr.

We were alright, we looked good in some aspects, we just didn't look like scoring. 

A bit of confidence will make a world of difference.

The cameras caught a Lerner Out banner being unfurled at the end there - for those that are interested in these things.

What's the point of a Lerner Out banner? The man agrees with the sentiment himself!

And the fact people buy into this let's him get away with it over and over again.

What do you mean get away with it? He doesn't want to own the club anymore. Nobody wants to buy it. What do you expect him to do?

Of course, we're not an attractive club to buy because of his failures, but protesting isn't going to turn back time.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

He also said that a new chairman would be appointed in the summer. What happened to that? He seems to say stuff so we can't say anything about him. But I don't believe he's desperate to sell, he's more than happy to watch this team struggle and drop until he gets the maximum amount of money. I really don't think applying pressure to him from the fans and the media could do us any harm.

A slightly weaker XI for Villa (No Richards, short time for Grealish/Sinclair/Ayew) against a much weakened Southampton that aren't having a great season themselves. But once again Villa offer zero threat, often having a bit of possession but doing nothing with it. This squad really is awful, a new manager is not going to change that. Take off your Villa tinted glasses; which players do you REALLY think are good enough for even a midtable team?

The only way Villa stay up is with serious investment in January. We can write off practically every game until January and just hope other teams are equally as awful. I could not think of a starting XI that I would be confident could beat any team in the league. We are defensively fragile, lack hardwork in midfield either through strength or laziness and have the worst strikers in the division. Couple all that with a confused management set up and our only real challenge is not to finish the season with the worst ever points tally.

We really are an absolute pile of **** wank. 

That line up was cringe worthy. 

Horrible excuse for a footy team and we're once again not winning jack shit. At least we can focus in trying to survive. It is after all,  october and the business end of the season.

Difference with the team sheet tonight compared to recent weeks is we had a plan, a way to play. Yes the first XI was not our strongest (or want the majority would have liked) but I think all we lacked first half was a decent striker, I would like to see Richards in for Crespo (not that he did much if anything wrong) Gana is for Westwood and Ayew in for Agbonlahor for Monday's game. 

Back to tonight, we can take positives out of it, we weren't out played (even if it wasn't their strongest team), we looked on the whole solid if not an attacking threat. We tried to get the crosses in for Gestede but the quality wasn't quite there and we had a couple of other opportunities which with a bit of confidence would have seen us take the lead.  Out of the cup is not a big deal, let's work on formation and gets some league points on the board.

• Like 1

A slightly weaker XI for Villa (No Richards, short time for Grealish/Sinclair/Ayew) against a much weakened Southampton that aren't having a great season themselves. But once again Villa offer zero threat, often having a bit of possession but doing nothing with it. This squad really is awful, a new manager is not going to change that. Take off your Villa tinted glasses; which players do you REALLY think are good enough for even a midtable team?

The only way Villa stay up is with serious investment in January. We can write off practically every game until January and just hope other teams are equally as awful. I could not think of a starting XI that I would be confident could beat any team in the league. We are defensively fragile, lack hardwork in midfield either through strength or laziness and have the worst strikers in the division. Couple all that with a confused management set up and our only real challenge is not to finish the season with the worst ever points tally.

I genuinely feel for people who think we have good players.

• Like 3

He also said that a new chairman would be appointed in the summer. What happened to that? He seems to say stuff so we can't say anything about him. But I don't believe he's desperate to sell, he's more than happy to watch this team struggle and drop until he gets the maximum amount of money. I really don't think applying pressure to him from the fans and the media could do us any harm.

And how does us ending up in the Championship get him the maximum amount!? Don't talk bollocks.

That line up was cringe worthy. 

yeah it was on paper, but it didnt actually do that bad, i thought the left and right wings worked ok and showed a good understanding when it came to covering, the midfield was ok but as we've seen hundreds of times sanchez and westwood just play the same and offer nothing going forward and clark and crespo apart from the 2nd goal looked solid

the only major issue with the line up was the front 2, thats it for me, start with sinclair and ayew up there, or even jack / gil and ayew if they want one playing off the other and i think we'd be ok

And how does us ending up in the Championship get him the maximum amount!? Don't talk bollocks.

who said it did? Relegation would just mean we'd be stuck with him longer. The only bollocks is what he comes out with and strangely some, like you, still buy it.

Respectable first half, but same old problem of clubs having to do very little indeed in order to get a goal against us - they just need to wait and sure enough a lapse in concentration or mistake will come along. And once we're behind, we don't have capability to get back. 

I think lack of confidence is playing a big part. There is lack of quality too, but I don't feel like we're miles behind most of the teams we're playing. Score first tonight and we probably would have won. When you're in a lull that opening goal just doesn't come.

You seem to view someone trying to get the best price for an asset as vindictive. I'll posit this - say you owned a house and after a couple of years you notice that it appears to be a pit for your money, the boiler went and the roof needed doing and the wiring was knackered... And the neighbours all hated you and you decided the area was bollocks in hindsight but at the time it seemed a good idea. Would you in that scenario right off loads of the money in the house just to be away from it all? Because that seems to be what your suggesting the owner do.I've no doubt at all that Lerner is a bad owner and is a root cause of most of our ills, but the man wants out, everything he's done recently it is effectively about reducing the cost of Aston Villa to him and improving the clubs financial outlook to flog it - and he's said in very plain language he is looking to get out. Whinging to get rid of him is going to be preaching to the choir. He wants his money, like anyone would, and he's happily out, won't be seen for dust.

• Like 1

We MUST have teenagers in the lower ranks who would pose more of a threat upfront?  

im convinced traore is the answer at the moment, dont stick him on the wing where he can do his nzogbia impression, have him up top running in to space, grealish and gil threading passes through, if not him then its got to be ayew or even sinclair, then probably kozak, then gabby, then gestede

Does my house have hundreds of years of history that hundreds of thousands of people have cared deeply about. You see it as an asset, its a football club, that no one forced him to buy. This isn't something that only effects the owner of the asset, this is a huge deal for a lot of people who were here before Lerner and will be here after. I don't believe the club is actively looking to be sold, I think the lack of initial interest has made him more than happy to sit on it until he gets the price he wants, regardless of the effect it has on our club. 

We MUST have teenagers in the lower ranks who would pose more of a threat upfront?  

im convinced traore is the answer at the moment, dont stick him on the wing where he can do his nzogbia impression, have him up top running in to space, grealish and gil threading passes through, if not him then its got to be ayew or even sinclair, then probably kozak, then gabby, then gestede

He hast to be willing to move to play that role, though.  So far, he has seemed to not want to run unless he has the ball.   He mostly stands on the right waiting for someone to give him the ball and then waits for the defender to come close enough to where he can beat him for speed.