Demitri_C

Pedantic, but Delph is only better in 3 of those. Being dribbled past isn't a positive.

(but I agree that the sample is too small to be making any  huge judgements about Gana. WHich is why people claiming he's already better than Delph is a bit silly, even though I think he has the potential to be)

Edited by Stevo985

Just goes to ahow what an idiot kmac is. Gana has better stats than delph yet he was dropped completely by him monday night

Absolutely ridiculous 

Sorry, but what does that actually mean? Better stats relating to what? For what period of time? In which leagues?

Gana has been here for about 5 minutes so hasn't generated much by way of stats for us.

Delph v Gueye: Premier League comparison

Fabian Delph (2014/15)Idrissa Gueye (2015/16)
Tackles per game2.14.0
Interceptions per game1.43.6
Dribbled past per game1.10.6
Aerials won per game0.71.1
Key passes per game1.30.9
Dribbles per game2.22.1
Distance covered per game11.16km10.50km

Get Lost Snake

Full article at the above link

Those stats are crap and utterly pointless

Just goes to ahow what an idiot kmac is. Gana has better stats than delph yet he was dropped completely by him monday night

Absolutely ridiculous 

Sorry, but what does that actually mean? Better stats relating to what? For what period of time? In which leagues?

Gana has been here for about 5 minutes so hasn't generated much by way of stats for us.

Delph v Gueye: Premier League comparison

Fabian Delph (2014/15)Idrissa Gueye (2015/16)
Tackles per game2.14.0
Interceptions per game1.43.6
Dribbled past per game1.10.6
Aerials won per game0.71.1
Key passes per game1.30.9
Dribbles per game2.22.1
Distance covered per game11.16km10.50km

Get Lost Snake

Full article at the above link

Hmm. So (1) out of 7 indicators quoted, Delph is actually better in 4; (2) we are comparing performances in different seasons; (3) Gana's stats are based on 8 games, hardly enough to build significant statistics.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree that Gana should have been started but there's no need to rely on those stats to make the call.

It strikes me maybe K Mac didn't pick the new players because he doesn't know them & hasn't been working with them, in which case it was wrong and unfair to give him the job in  the first place.

It's not enough to build statistics. But it can be an assistance. My eyes tell me Gana is really good. It's the TEAM that's the problem.

Either way, they suggest he probably should be starting. Considering how shit we are.

• Like 1

Yes, like I said, I agree he should be starting, but not on the basis that his stats are " better than Delph" because that is a virtually meaningless comparison. It's more because he is a member of our squad now, looks like he could be good and is better than most other options.

My post was really commenting in whether K Mac is an idiot because he didn't pick a squad using comparison stats with Delph.

And I think that's one of the few criticisms you can't legitimately make about his recent (thankfully, brief) interregnum.

Yes, like I said, I agree he should be starting, but not on the basis that his stats are " better than Delph" because that is a virtually meaningless comparison. It's more because he is a member of our squad now, looks like he could be good and is better than most other options.

My post was really commenting in whether K Mac is an idiot because he didn't pick a squad using comparison stats with Delph.

And I think that's one of the few criticisms you can't legitimately make about his recent (thankfully, brief) interregnum.

The thread has not generally taken the line of "K Mac is an idiot because Gana has better stats than Delph" though, has it? It was just an interesting side note, for the purposes of further illustrating what a stupid decision it was to drop Gana. I don't think it was intended to be taken so seriously nor in complete isolation. 

The thread has not generally taken the line of "K Mac is an idiot because Gana has better stats than Delph" though, has it? It was just an interesting side note, for the purposes of further illustrating what a stupid decision it was to drop Gana. I don't think it was intended to be taken so seriously nor in complete isolation. 

Stats should always be taken seriously. They are misused so regularly on this site as well as in the world in general. Someone needs to stick up for them.

• 1 year later...

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2017/03/01/aston-villa-promises-to-improve-after-kevin-macdonald-bullying-claims/

Aston Villa promise to improve after Kevin MacDonald bullying claims

Villa have promised to review the safeguarding of academy players following a Premier League inquiry into the behaviour of under-23s coach Kevin MacDonald.

Complaints against MacDonald by an unnamed player and his family led to an investigation by the league, which claims to have found evidence of “bullying, aggressive behaviour and unacceptable language”.

A report in The Telegraph has revealed Villa were ordered to make "sweeping and vigorous changes" to the welfare protection of young players with MacDonald, a prominent figure in the club’s academy for much of the past two decades, accused of emotional bullying and shaming of players in front of team-mates.

It was also alleged personal insults and abusive language occurred on a daily basis.

Villa were relegated to the Championship last season but the Premier League pursued the case as the allegations occurred while they were a top flight club.

The investigation noted there had been a "renewed emphasis" on safeguarding and welfare since Tony Xia's takeover at Villa Park last summer.

In a statement, Villa said: “The club considers the safeguarding and welfare of all players to be of paramount importance.

“To this end it has recently appointed a full-time safeguarding and welfare officer to ensure the safeguarding and welfare of all players and staff.

“While it cannot comment on specific allegations the club can confirm that it has recently been the subject of a safeguarding review by the Premier League.

"The club has co-operated fully with the Premier League in respect of its investigation and is currently reviewing the Premier League’s recommendations with a view to further improving its safeguarding.”

Former Leicester and Liverpool midfielder MacDonald first joined Villa in 1995 and has twice had spells as interim manager.

After leaving in 2012 he had a brief spell in charge of Swindon Town before returning in 2015, initially as assistant to Tim Sherwood.

Strange though. I seem to remember the players being extremely vocal in their support of KMac when he had his first interim spell. Always assumed he was incredibly well liked by the players.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Strange though. I seem to remember the players being extremely vocal in their support of KMac when he had his first interim spell. Always assumed he was incredibly well liked by the players.

Maybe he's become bitter and resentful after being so close but never given a real crack at managing?

(He was terrible at it so it was the right call)

Time to move him on anyway, the youth set up need fresh leadership IMO.

Not sure what to make of this. Alleged suggests that it hasn't been proven, so it's an odd way to end an investigation.

I don't think he's bitter, I remember him saying after his terrible run at Swindon that he didn't think management suited him and he would look for a behind the scenes role in the future, before coming back to Villa. 

Don't really know anything about him so I can't say I'm sad he's leaving / left but I do think good is coming out of it if we're dragging the academy kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Could this investigation have something to do with Sid Cowan's sudden departure over the summer? If investigations were underway at the time. Maybe this info wasn't disclosed so his reputation as a Villa legend wasn't tarnished 

Sounds like an old school coach acting in an old school manner and being completely out of touch with modern standards. A "back in my day we got five lashes and it did us no harm" way of doing things if you will.

It's important for a football club, and in general in life, that dinosaurs like that aren't allowed to be in charge of anything and that you continually modernise and try to improve the way you do things based on the latest research and best practices. Sure some old timers might need to be dragged along kicking and screaming but it benefits everyone, including them, to adapt, modernise and learn new methods. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

Â