New manager

KJT123

Someone earlier mentioned that Garde likes to build from the back but in an attacking sense. I'm reading a break down of his tactical approach and it seems that he builds from the back as in defense first. Here is a small excerpt from the article.

Against Tottenham in the first-leg of their Europa League knockout tie, Lyon were extremely aggressive with their pressing – and also intelligent in targetting the opposition. Jan Vertonghen’s distribution is superior to that of William Gallas, so Gomis was tasked with pressing Vertonghen, ‘steering’ the ball to Gallas; similarly  in central midfield, Moussa Dembele was targetted almost to the point of being man-marked, and the ball ‘directed’ to Scott Parker. In the image you can see the player matchups and Parker being left alone – the centre-forward, Gomis (marked with grey) is discouraging the ball to the central defenders.  Parker was harried after he received the ball, but with Tottenham’s fullbacks pushed up very high, he was often forced to dump the ball on the centre-backs, who were being pressed intelligently by the hard-working Gomis.  In the return leg in Lyon, the home side’s strategy (even though trailing 1-2) was to sit back a lot more, inviting pressure and trying to hit Tottenham on the counterattack, Gomis again was detailed to pay attention to Vertonghen.

This section reads all too true.....

After some horrendous individual defensive errors in numerous games, Garde has started trying to protect his back four in recent weeks with unabashedly defensive tactics, even when playing at home, and looking to hit teams on the break like he did against Tottenham. He’s also experimented with a 4-4-2 (against Sochaux and Reims) and a 4-2-3-1 (against Toulouse), where in defensive positions the wide men pull back to form a 4-4-1-1 when out of possession.

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2013/04/28/olympique-lyonnais-the-tactical-debrief/ 

Can you even remotely imagine Sherwood coming up with tactics anywhere near as involved as that first paragraph?

"Just facking go out there and win you slags" was probably as good as it got.

In all seriousness, building from the back is exactly what we need. It's all well and good saying we need to go and attack, but if we're leaking goals it'll be pointless. We won't score enough to Keegan our way out of this.
Tighten the defence, get the team well drilled, play to our attackers strengths. 

Do that effectively and we'll be fine.

Yep, the guy seems like a real thinking mans manager.

We've tried playing on pure emotion. It kept us safe but also lost us a cup final and has us bottom of the league.

Time for a more sophisticated approach me thinks.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Someone earlier mentioned that Garde likes to build from the back but in an attacking sense. I'm reading a break down of his tactical approach and it seems that he builds from the back as in defense first. Here is a small excerpt from the article.

Against Tottenham in the first-leg of their Europa League knockout tie, Lyon were extremely aggressive with their pressing – and also intelligent in targetting the opposition. Jan Vertonghen’s distribution is superior to that of William Gallas, so Gomis was tasked with pressing Vertonghen, ‘steering’ the ball to Gallas; similarly  in central midfield, Moussa Dembele was targetted almost to the point of being man-marked, and the ball ‘directed’ to Scott Parker. In the image you can see the player matchups and Parker being left alone – the centre-forward, Gomis (marked with grey) is discouraging the ball to the central defenders.  Parker was harried after he received the ball, but with Tottenham’s fullbacks pushed up very high, he was often forced to dump the ball on the centre-backs, who were being pressed intelligently by the hard-working Gomis.  In the return leg in Lyon, the home side’s strategy (even though trailing 1-2) was to sit back a lot more, inviting pressure and trying to hit Tottenham on the counterattack, Gomis again was detailed to pay attention to Vertonghen.

This section reads all too true.....

After some horrendous individual defensive errors in numerous games, Garde has started trying to protect his back four in recent weeks with unabashedly defensive tactics, even when playing at home, and looking to hit teams on the break like he did against Tottenham. He’s also experimented with a 4-4-2 (against Sochaux and Reims) and a 4-2-3-1 (against Toulouse), where in defensive positions the wide men pull back to form a 4-4-1-1 when out of possession.

http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2013/04/28/olympique-lyonnais-the-tactical-debrief/ 

Can you even remotely imagine Sherwood coming up with tactics anywhere near as involved as that first paragraph?

"Just facking go out there and win you slags" was probably as good as it got.

In all seriousness, building from the back is exactly what we need. It's all well and good saying we need to go and attack, but if we're leaking goals it'll be pointless. We won't score enough to Keegan our way out of this.
Tighten the defence, get the team well drilled, play to our attackers strengths. 

Do that effectively and we'll be fine.

Agreed. 

Defence is key here. Ive found some stuff on the web that suggest that his teams weren't that tight defensively, which is what concerns me about the appointment.Lets hope he can drill us to few 1-0 or even 0-0 against man city....!!!

Where would people rank our managers under Lerner in terms of tactics? We all know Sherwood was diabolical, O'Neill limited and Lambert hit and miss but I'm not so sure on the others.

1. Houllier

2. Lambert

3. O'Neill

4. Mccleish

5. Tim

I suppose it shows that tactics don't count for everything but at least a modicum of nous is needed which Tim lacked.

So has Remy Gard signed yet?

Do you think he will save us, Rich? Are you happy about this appointment or do you think we should have gone for someone with more managerial perhaps?

It's a tough ask for anybody. Can he secure premier league survival? maybe the odds are not in his favour given : the upcoming run of games,  the new players not used to the league or a relegation battle,  the position we are in meaning we are still in the bottom three even if we win one or two on the bounce, the fact that he is not used to the club or the league in terms of management.  I'm not dissing the "lack of experience" thing or saying we needed someone with more hours under his managerial belt ( I think Allardayce would have kept us up by the way) because to be honest there is a difference between just keeping us up and basically putting in place something to reverse the tide and make sure we dont have these battles for a few years yet.  Sherwood was not capable of either,  Allardyce may have been capable of one but not the other, Moyes may have been capable of both to limited degree,  this chap may be able to do the latter but not the former,  who knows in reality.

For me it is not just about staying up this year it is in sorting out the complete and utter mess and shambles we as a club have become and that may actually take relegation to do.  So we may actually still go down this year and he sort it out once and for all.  My fear was / is we are going down and stay down for a while.  I'm not sure whether he can or is able to sort it out long term but that's what I want out of him,  out of any manager of Villa.  It's a case of suck it and see with him as it would be any bloke to varying degrees.  But Im not focussed too much on relegation this season as I've accepted it anyway.

So long as he makes a fight of it - if we get mullered every week that isn't acceptable - no matter what mess he inherited. If we end up going down but there are real signs of progress I would be more tolerant.

Im very sceptical - but will give him a chance, but I won't make excuses for him ...bottom line he must win games..

1. MON

2. Houllier

3. TS

4. Lambert

5. McLeish

Only MON really stands out and even then he was limited.

It's quite a fruitless debate, but I don't see how you can rank Sherwood ahead of anyone.

I genuinely believe he didn't have tactics. He just sent the players out and told them to play, a la Redknapp.

1. MON

2. Houllier

3. TS

4. Lambert

5. McLeish

Only MON really stands out and even then he was limited.

How is Sherwood not bottom of the list? In fact, how is O'Neill so high as well? He wasn't the worst tactically but I'd definitely put him below Houllier and Lambert.

What we need to do is develop a setup ready for January where hopefully we bring in a genuine #9 and a goalkeeper who doesn't remind me of Enckelman everytime the opposition attack and we can be ok.

We can't really afford to go more than 6 points adrift though I don't think - the next 2 games are 0 points thought anyway so a chance to settle in, but Everton, Watford and then the likes of Newcastle, West Ham, Norwich approaching in December we need to go at with what he believes is our best team in our best setup.

He'll have ideas already - its not like we lack individuals of quality.

• Like 1

1 Houllier

2 MON

3 McLeish

4 Lambert

5 Sherwood

For me the first 3 knew what they wanted their teams to do even if it was more or less successful. Under Houllier the players were not able/willing to adapt, under MON we became very predictable and McLeish made us covardly defensive. Imo both Lambert & Sherwood were tactically clueless especially when their first gameplan failed to work. Obviously Sherwood to a far greater extent

• Like 2

Where would people rank our managers under Lerner in terms of tactics? We all know Sherwood was diabolical, O'Neill limited and Lambert hit and miss but I'm not so sure on the others.

Although I wouldn't put him last of the Lerner managers, I would say Lambert was the biggest disappointment. Didn't Norwich score the most goals outside of the top six in their first season back with him? Really thought that he was gonna turn out to be a terrific boss for us.

Edited by Shropshire Lad