New manager

KJT123

I don't get it. No one in the media thought it was wrong to sack Lambert at the point we did, surely anyone who pays the slightest bit of interest in villa could see Sherwood was heading to the same point.

WE all know that, but then when the discussion of giving British managers opportunities pops up, the meeja forget that it does happen and they don't cite the failures.  As for people with the slightest interest in Villa.  That rules out most of the media.  It's clear that most of them only ever throw the most cursory of glances in our direction whenever something is happening, and rarely have any insight of what's happening beyond what you'd pick up reading this forum.

• Like 2

I don't get it. No one in the media thought it was wrong to sack Lambert at the point we did, surely anyone who pays the slightest bit of interest in villa could see Sherwood was heading to the same point.

I think it's down to a combination of factors:

1. Sherwood had only been here since February

2. Sherwood kept us up and got us to a cup final

3. Sherwood has lots of mates in the media

Of course points 1 and 2 should be irrelevant when you're already cut adrift of safety by October.

Edited by Mantis

There are so many factors involved that the combinatorics become pretty hard to work out. I'm almost convinced it's going to be him though, based on my initial well reasoned guess work, and comments on here from various posters who seem to have an uncanny knack of knowing what's going to happen next at the club.

Got to be in the running for sentence of the week, surely.

• Like 3

Good point Deadly.  Now granted, they were both working under difficult conditions, but I suspect most would be.  No-one has a blank cheque.  Over 90% of vacancies are because a club have sacked a manager during a bad run.  You rarely take over a smoothly running ship.  We've given 2 up and coming British managers an opportunity and for whatever reason, both have come up short.  You never hear Sky mentioning that.

You also rarely hear them mention the job that Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is doing at Burton, and the route he is taking to what will hopefully lead to a job at a top club.

Granted, Lambert earned his stripes in the lower leagues, but Sherwood just chanced into the top job at two Premier League clubs.

Lambert wasn't given time?  Jesus, I suppose if you judge that by wengers standards he might have a point...

Wasn't Lambert the second longest serving manager in the PL when we sacked him?

It certainly would feel like it, I think it's fair to say he had long enough and wenger is talking rubbish.

I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but in one of his always accurate predictions, Lawro was talking about Villa's signings not doing well with the exception of Gestede!!! It shows how much he watches us.

They really don't care. The sad thing is Sherwood made us semi-interesting to the them, a novelty possibly. But now we'll be back to "oh yeah, Villa are still here so we better mention them in passing".

Sorry, off topic there. Hope we get the new guy in soon.

I have been quoted twice when I have not said anything? Weird.

The new site is great. But the quoting is the one big negative. It's completely ****.

Agreed. A shame really.

With each new version I'm disliking invision board more and more, which is the forum software they use here.

But to be fair to them, it's a bit of a cut throat industry of a dying medium and they're always striving to be the most ahead with all new features.  Just oldskool **** like me just see them becoming bloated, counter intuitive and very problematic.

This version is simply awful on my phone, it's hectic and erratic.  A little better on my PC, but you can just sense all the shit that's going on by how jerky just typing this message becomes...

• Like 1

Just watching Sky Sports News there and pundits on there where moaning that up and coming British managers never get a chance anymore, blah blah blah. Our last two managers were Paul Lambert and Tim Sherwood. They're young and British (in Managerial terms anyway) - and that worked really well for us didn't it! All I say is look at the premier league table as it stands today, and label each team foreign or British and then think about which way the balance of power lays.

The first rule of football pundits, is to moan about anyone getting managers jobs, that aren't young, British, and if possible linked to Spurs in some way.

• Like 1

I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but in one of his always accurate predictions, Lawro was talking about Villa's signings not doing well with the exception of Gestede!!! It shows how much he watches us.

They really don't care. The sad thing is Sherwood made us semi-interesting to the them, a novelty possibly. But now we'll be back to "oh yeah, Villa are still here so we better mention them in passing".

Sorry, off topic there. Hope we get the new guy in soon.

It doesn't help that there is actually a fairly visible Villa presence in the media that seem to have a totally different opinion to the fans.  If your own come out with this bullshit, then the likes of Lawro are just going to latch onto it.  Whenever I watch Danny Murphy, he seems to be one of the few who makes an effort to understand what's going on at Villa and he's never had any connection with us.  Apart from that, there's nothing.

I have been quoted twice when I have not said anything? Weird.

The new site is great. But the quoting is the one big negative. It's completely ****.

Agreed. A shame really.

With each new version I'm disliking invision board more and more, which is the forum software they use here.

But to be fair to them, it's a bit of a cut throat industry of a dying medium and they're always striving to be the most ahead with all new features.  Just oldskool **** like me just see them becoming bloated, counter intuitive and very problematic.

This version is simply awful on my phone, it's hectic and erratic.  A little better on my PC, but you can just sense all the shit that's going on by how jerky just typing this message becomes...

Touch sites with a max quote tree of 2 is the way to go.

Just watching Sky Sports News there and pundits on there where moaning that up and coming British managers never get a chance anymore, blah blah blah. Our last two managers were Paul Lambert and Tim Sherwood. They're young and British (in Managerial terms anyway) - and that worked really well for us didn't it! All I say is look at the premier league table as it stands today, and label each team foreign or British and then think about which way the balance of power lays.

That's because the pundits on Sky are all British retired players who are firmly entrenched in the old boy's network of English football. Likewise MotD. I've given up listening to any of that nonsense because rather than giving a well thought out opinion on football matters - they are inevitably pushing an agenda for their mates.

Jenas was the perfect example last week.

• Like 1