JPA

JPA  

89 members have voted

1. 1. JPA

• One season Wonder
    • Class - will return next season better than ever
    • I dont know - JPA's true form is a mystery to me

So, this is a player who is the double fans player of the year?

A one season wonder?

Well, he's had an abysmal season, one in which it is hard to find excuses for him, beyond him not getting a pre-season (having an operation instead), him being constantly played, even when injured and/or clearly low on confidence, and most importantly of all the injury to Darius.

I wonder how both he and Carlton Cole would have done this season had there been the option to rest them when needed. Carlton Cole said pre-season that he thought he'd do really well to play 20 matches and didn't think he'd get anywhere near that total.. He's ended up playing 29 so far, being picked when clearly in need of a rest. The same is true of JPA.

Options is the thing, and with Luke Moore just not making the grade at the moment, there aren't any.

One thing I have noticed, especially at home, is how tightly Angel gets marked. Unless, that is, he is being partnered by Darius. I've been a critic of Darius in the past, but I have to say that he off the ball runs he makes creates acres of space for the other players ot run into. I wonder, fi darius had stayed fit, how this season would have worked out. I think rather differently.

And people then wonder why a striker is top of DOl's shopping list?

One season wonder?

2 seasons where he has scored that magical goal every other game and another 2 where he has scored the solid sum of 1 in every 4.

Yeah apologies for the wording of the poll - the one season wonder option should have been something like 'His best years are behind him'.

In 01/02 he scored 16 in about 30 appearances and even under GTmkII he managed to grab 3 in 9. This has been a poor season by his high standards but I still voted that he is class and will come back better than ever.

Angel is an enigma.

A top striker should have several of the following attributes:

Speed: Nope, JPA is not in this category

Power: Not part of his game either

Heading ability: He's good in the air, wthout being as lethal as some.

Close control/ shielding ball: Good touch, but he is easily dispossessed.

Ability to go past defenders: He almost never even tries.

Long range power shooting: Average at best

Placed shooting: More his style, but rarely gets into shooting positions.

Two footed: NO

Killer instinct: Hardly.

That really only leaves us with the knack of being in the right place at the right time: the poacher's instinct.

He had it last season - it has deserted him this time round.

Because he scores so low on the other attributes, I would be tempted to say we should sell him. But we would only get peanuts for him, so we should keep him, but he won't be first choice CF next season.

Angel is an enigma.

A top striker should have several of the following attributes:

Speed: Nope, JPA is not in this category

Power: Not part of his game either

Heading ability: He's good in the air, wthout being as lethal as some.

Close control/ shielding ball: Good touch, but he is easily dispossessed.

Ability to go past defenders: He almost never even tries.

Long range power shooting: Average at best

Placed shooting: More his style, but rarely gets into shooting positions.

Two footed: NO

Killer instinct: Hardly.

That really only leaves us with the knack of being in the right place at the right time: the poacher's instinct.

He had it last season - it has deserted him this time round.

Because he scores so low on the other attributes, I would be tempted to say we should sell him. But we would only get peanuts for him, so we should keep him, but he won't be first choice CF next season.

This is going along the Fm style of management, if his ratings aren't good in particular areas he is not good enough?? Try the real world.

Quite simply, a good striker scores goals. How they go in doesn't matter.Angel can score goals but he has had a terrible season. If he was alone in being poor this season maybe it would be the end of him, but the fact that it is nearly impossible to pick a player of the season due to the lack of form throughout the squad.

Try the real world? Try it yourself. The simple fact is that he's not a saleable asset because he has not produced the goods and he is demosntrably lacking in skills.

To say he is lacking in skills is ridiculous. He is an out of form striker. Nothing more, nothing less. And i really couldn't care less if he was a saleable asset or not. He wasn't a saleable asset when Taylor tried to get rid of him but returned with an exceelent season.

I'd like to know how many strikers hit 20+ a season once, and then don't manage it again, despite playing regularly. This is not a comment on JPA himself, before the idiots start, but someone must be able to find the top ten goalscorers for each season since the premiership started?

Surely luck alone wouldnt get you 20+ goals in the Premiership in one season?

Can anyone provide the stats? I'll have another look now, and post what I can find.

im absolutely sick to the back teeth of all this bollocks...

juan pablo angel is a decent player having a poor season. very much like a lot of the very small squad we have...

but hes put in effort for most of the season even though hes played most of it injured, not fully fit and lacking sharpness, simply due to missing pre season with a serious knee injury and he was then rushed back because we had no one else...

its not his fault our squad wasnt able to cope with the injuries that have led to this situation....

nor is he the only player it has affected...

he has stayed loyal to us in the past and the very least we can do, is show the same courtesy back to him...

otherwise, you cannot complain when players do an alpay....

My mistake, but cracking link, may I suggest everyone looks at the above mentioned website, and decides whether it was luck or abilty that made him a top striker for us last season.

There are very very few players that hit the same amount of goals that dont manage it again some time within their Premiership career.

he has stayed loyal to us in the past and the very least we can do, is show the same courtesy back to him...

I don't think he's had much of an opportunity to display his loyalty. If a Valencia or Real Betis had come in for him under GT, I think there's a good chance he would have left.

But anyway, football isn't about being nice to nice guys like JPA. He's not firing for whatever reason, so we need someone else. Simple as. Like I said, I don't think we should sell him, we wouldn't get much and he may recapture some form next season. I hope as much as anyone else that he does.

I don't think he's had much of an opportunity to display his loyalty. If a Valencia or Real Betis had come in for him under GT, I think there's a good chance he would have left.

So why didn't he? When betis offered Gudjonsson in exchange, why did he stay here?

You mean Ellis would've accepted an exchange deal for a striker he payed £9.5million for? I find that difficult to believe

Absolutely. There was no way a straight swap would have been approved. But I don't think Angel would have hesitated to move, and why should he, as GT didn't want him.

Â