Can we help keep 'em up?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Can we keep 'em up?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Whatever happened to them ultra guys? Do they still go or was that phased out

The Brigady Bunch 1874? They still go.

They sit in the Lower Holte, right underneath where I sit in the Upper Holte. But 20/25 guys singing all game doesn't make a massive noise.

1 home game nearly full all season which was United. are the fans really doing enough considering 2 were derbies and the other was a relegation rival?

its   catch 22 situation though isn't it. Fans understandably are keeping away from the dross dished out at villa park but this has a knock on effect with the atmosphere and team performance to a lesser degree.

Exactly, it's a negative feedback loop. Are the players crap because the fans don't chant, or do the fans not chant because the players are crap? Common sense dictates 'both' is the likely answer. 

So what to do about it? For me, the football improves first, then the fans. The footballers are 14 men who work together all week, the fans are 35,000 strangers who haven't got a plan. 'Changing the fans' is a collective-action problem. 

• Like 1

The players aren't crap because that fans don't chant. They are just crap 

But I think you can see from a club like Leicester, who don't have a much better team than us really, that an encouraging crowd does help players play better. I mean, it just does. There's a reason why playing games 'behind closed doors' is a punishment. 

• Like 1

But I think you can see from a club like Leicester, who don't have a much better team than us really, that an encouraging crowd does help players play better. I mean, it just does. There's a reason why playing games 'behind closed doors' is a punishment. 

Leicester players give their fans something to cheer about. Ours don't. This is Leicester's 2nd season back in the top flight for a long  time. This is as good as it gets for their fans. Didn't hear the Leicester fans at all until they pulled one back against us. Then they got going. The players gave them something to sing about. Of course having a competent manager also helps their players perform 

Edited by Arj Guy
  • Like 2

Leicester players give their fans something to cheer about. Ours don't. This is Leicester's 2nd season back in the top flight for a long  time. This is as good as it gets for their fans. Didn't hear the Leicester fans at all until they pulled one back against us. Then they got going. The players gave them something to sing about. Of course having a competent manager also helps their players perform 

I think there's some truth to the bolded part especially, which is kind of uncomfortable. The truth is the grounds of clubs that have come back up have much more atmosphere than ours. It's horrible to reflect that we may well need the pain before we can express the relief.

• Like 1

I think there's some truth to the bolded part especially, which is kind of uncomfortable. The truth is the grounds of clubs that have come back up have much more atmosphere than ours. It's horrible to reflect that we may well need the pain before we can express the relief.

either that or we just move forward as a club. I know which is more likely 

Edited by Arj Guy

Only by 'taking care' of Sherwood, in one way or another. 

Makes it sound like you're considering whether to give him a handjob. 

I was thinking more assassination attempt, to be honest - the mafia 'taking care of'. If you think that would work you could always give it a try? I'm not particularly keen on the idea myself. 

Edited by lexicon

Yep, I could help by pouring abuse on Sherwood in the hope that he would be "pragmatic" and **** off out of our club. But likely it would be me who would end up out on my ear. 

No matter how fantastic the fans support during a game we cannot overcome the ineptness of a shit manager. I wonder how many of those who slag off the atmosphere actually go to games? When you have had years of turning up to witness absolute S H I T E it is very difficult to rouse yourself during a game. I am excited going to VP nearly every home game and when I can away, ready to sing my head off, seriously believing we will win but for the last four years have invariably been gutted, let down and come away depressed. 

I have met some Villa fans over the years who have told me the next day that the atmosphere "sounded crap on the TV"  and have seriously come very close to losing it.

Rule number 1, It is fine to slag the players, club, manager, tactics etc etc etc 

Rule number 2: Never slag fans at a game unless you are actually there! 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

I equal parts admire and question the sanity of people who still turn up every week.

Sometimes I can barely be bothered to stick a stream on. The past couple of seasons when I've gone to games, it's mostly been dread rather than excitement.

We can help.

But it's give and take. If the team gives us something to cheer about then we'll cheer.

But we've been given dross for so long that it's no wonder the atmospheres are flat.

If performances pick up then atmospheres will improve. But the team needs to show us something.

It's been shit for too long for the responsibility to be on the fans. It doesn't help that there's literally nothing to get behind. I've got to watch a bunch of poor to average players wear the shirt of the club I love, apart from maybe Grealish, none are the sort I'll remember or be talking about decades down the line. I've got to watch these average to poor players perform under the 4th consecutive manager to get nothing out of them or look like they can take this club forward. And ive got to watch all this knowing the only reason we're trying to scrape survival is so that the rich man who never turns up doesn't lose to much money. There's nothing to get behind, there's nothing to cheer. Until that changes I don't see why any fans are going to be creating a great atmosphere week in week out. Like someone else said, if we didn't have season tickets, a lot would stop coming, and I couldn't blame them one bit.

I think so to an extent, the players are visibly shit-scared when VP is at it's moaning, groaning worst which leads to them frightened to express themselves but when we're really in the mire (e.g that Hull game) then a full house and a carnival atmosphere will inspire them. Ultimately, I'm a firm believer that we should support the team no matter what, if you're that disenchanted with the club then just don't go rather than turning up to boo or call for Sherwood's head. The players need our support more than ever, no matter what you think of those running the club and the manager we should still be behind the players 100% for 90 minutes, that's what supporting a team is about. Villa are our team, it's easy to support a team when they're winning all the time but no so when things aren't going well. 

Â