Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Wonder if something is already agreed...

Aston Villa want to sign the Queens Park Rangers striker Charlie Austin in the January transfer window as they battle to stay in the Premier League.

The division’s bottom-placed side have watched Austin all season and are pushing ahead with plans to sign him with new manager Remi Garde now in place. The striker is in the last year of his contract and QPR rate him at £8m should they decide to get something for him before he leaves for nothing the next summer.

Full Story Here

If he signs a four year deal he's worth more than 8 million. It's just because he has 6 months left.

We need two strikers. Too much pressure to rely on him plus knowing our luck he'd get injured. Maybe Garde has a foreign player in mind plus Austin. 

8 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Didn't they want £15m? He's a big injury risk, or so I'm led to believe.

Their asking price has fallen as he has less time left on his contract, if it gets to zero he leaves for free. They're hoping he will help get them promoted first but this is looking unlikely. The injury risk rumours stem from a failed medical a few years ago, but he has since passed medicals since then so should hopefully be okay.

Regarding Austin I think it's now even less likely we, or anyone else, will buy him in January. Unlike in summer when a few clubs obviously decided he wasn't worth the gamble for £15m the power has now shifted more in his favour - just see out the remainder of the season then get the choice of any Premier League team with a nice signing on bonus.

What you don't do is join a struggling club that might 'trap' you back in the Championship on a longer contract.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Regarding Austin I think it's now even less likely we, or anyone else, will buy him in January. Unlike in summer when a few clubs obviously decided he wasn't worth the gamble for £15m the power has now shifted more in his favour - just see out the remainder of the season then get the choice of any Premier League team with a nice signing on bonus.

What you don't do is join a struggling club that might 'trap' you back in the Championship on a longer contract.

This was my suspicion before, but as someone pointed out, he could probably get a relegation release clause at a knockdown price inserted into the contract. 

4 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

I think it's crazy we didn't get him in the summer.

There is a reason no other club did either. QPR's asking price was excessive, especially considering the player reportedly had substantial demands of his own. 

Edited by Isa