Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

If Spam sign Byram then they will have my FM15 full-back combination for my British Players Only save.

Cresswell and Byram tearing up the Prem. Also have Phil Jones and Ryan Shawcross in the middle. John Ruddy in goal >_>

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If Spam sign Byram then they will have my FM15 full-back combination for my British Players Only save.

Cresswell and Byram tearing up the Prem. Also have Phil Jones and Ryan Shawcross in the middle. John Ruddy in goal >_>

How is that wage bill Martin?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I dunno. I think Shelvey is a very good player. He absolutely ran the show for Newcastle on the weekend.

I think "very good" is a stretch, but you'd assume he'll get better (he's, what, 23 or something?).

Would I want him at Villa for £12m, though?  Probably not.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think "very good" is a stretch, but you'd assume he'll get better (he's, what, 23 or something?).

A pretty good example of being able to go abroad and get someone of similar quality for a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I can't stand Leicester because I'm a Villa supporter! They're local rivals so why would i like them??

I didn't say Leicester were "bang average", I said that apart from Vardy and Marez the rest of their squad is "bang average" - Albrighton, Fuchs, Drinkwater, Huth, Morgan, Schlupp, Schmicheal, Simpson, Ulloa, Okazaki, Kante - apart from Kante and at a push Okazaki none of the rest would get in another top ten side.

They've been lucky with injuries and lucky to win games. They've ridden their luck and are now playing with confidence which makes a difference. Don't believe the bullshit that stats don't count, they absolutely do.  Leicester's position derives from the fact that they've bucked the stats in half a dozen games - their underlying form is worth about 10th-12th

The media love 'em (especially MOTD) and it makes a good underdog story. It won't last, they're above the curve at the moment but regression to the mean will take care of them

I'm staggered at the love in for Leicester on here???

I understand your position, but I think you are being disingenuous on this

That could be aimed at us in 81/82 and I would refute that.....it was poor management at the time that lost us our momentum and that too could happen to them.

its been said in some circles that Leicester have emulated Villa of the late 70's early 80's so it's only natural that some older fans like me will warm to that and thinking why can't we prosper from our own successes.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I understand your position, but I think you are being disingenuous on this

That could be aimed at us in 81/82 and I would refute that.....it was poor management at the time that lost us our momentum and that too could happen to them.

its been said in some circles that Leicester have emulated Villa of the late 70's early 80's so it's only natural that some older fans like me will warm to that and thinking why can't we prosper from our own successes.

1. How am I being "disingenuous"?

2. I've only heard you saying Leicester are emulating 1981 Villa!  Who is saying this? in what way?  Things have moved on massively in 35 years and great as our triumphs what lessons do you see that apply today (note: hard work and a great attitude is not an allowable answer, Hollis already has that one!)

Whether or not you think we should be currently preparing for life in the Championship, or think we can still survive, the fact we have yet to get any business over the line is an absolute embarrassment.

There's talk of us releasing Gabby, Sinclair back to Swansea etc... obviously speculation at this stage but I wouldn't be surprised if we end Jan with a weaker squad than at the start of the window.

Sigh.

30 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

A pretty good example of being able to go abroad and get someone of similar quality for a fraction of the price.

You think? Someone who's played well over 100 Premier League games, by age 23? I think anyone from La Liga or the Bundesliga is costing you the same.

Wouldn't mind us going for Patrick Bamford on loan until the end of the season. Then when Chelsea panic buy in the summer to try and get back to the Champions League we can snap him up if he does well for the rest of this season.

Although I would not be surprised if Middlesbrough make a move for him if they are promoted.

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

1. How am I being "disingenuous"?

2. I've only heard you saying Leicester are emulating 1981 Villa!  Who is saying this? in what way?  Things have moved on massively in 35 years and great as our triumphs what lessons do you see that apply today (note: hard work and a great attitude is not an allowable answer, Hollis already has that one!)

We will have to agree to disagree.

I simply do not subscribe to the bland theory that everything has changed in 35 years .

for sure many things have and many principles in football haven't so I do not agree in a blanket statement that everything has changed......EVERYTHING hasn't, changed, it depends on what bits you care to mention.

Leicester have proved that what was done by us 35 years ago....is still today doable....However I always believed that , way before Leicester managed to raise their Phoenix.

If you doubt my comments check my posts way back....way before Leicesters rise.

what lessons do I see that apply today?

The ability to spot talent and develop those players in to team with method and an ethos on one for all and all for one.

To not have a blinkered view that the only way to success is money....While it is a massive fast track to success only a limited amount of clubs in world football have the wherewithal and can make that work.

The rest of us have to use our industry nous (talent spotting)to try to negate the big advantage money brings.

I still think hard work and  good attitude is not a given and there are many examples we can call on to say had we had those valuable commodities things would be different for the better.

We are from different age groups, so we are bound to have different views.....but hey, we can learn from each other.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, useless said:

If Leicester were to win the league this year, or even finish top four, it would only make our relegation seem all the more worse (if indeed we do go down). As it would put a marker on what's achievable and highlight how far we are from that achievement. Really the only team I want breaking the monopoly is Aston Villa, any other team and it's bad news for us. In terms of another team leaving us behind and in Leicester's case it would set a dangerous precedent that Lerner would cite as another excuse to spend minimal money.

Your logic is interesting, bizarre but also understandable. You don't like Leicester's success because you fear it shows our owner that operating on a tight budget can lead to success and also because it highlights our failure. My view is pretty much the exact opposite - their success demonstrates what a good manager and 2-3 top players can do in a team when combined with a lot of workhorses and players who will die for the cause - its aspirational for a club in our position, as there is no way we can compete financially with the top 4/6 clubs every year. With regard to highlighting our failure - I think you are overestimating what outsiders think of us - noone is surprised to see us where we are, I have not seen a single pundit or commentator refer to our failures as a shock or disaster or contrast us to the successes of Leicester, Stoke, West Ham or Palace - we are now seen as an historically big club who have been sliding downwards for the last 5 years at least. We are the kind of team that could easily finish in the top half (or top 8) of the table and people would not bat an eyelid, and I am now of the view that if/when we are relegated it will also not really be on the radar of many others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

When Newcastle signed him it stunk of panic-buy to me. They took one of the main midfielders from a fellow relegation rival in the hope its somehow going to drive them up the table, and arguably paid 30-50% too much. If Shelvey is that good, then why are Swansea sitting where they are?

He was very good on Saturday, but I am of the belief that he is the kind of player who has one very good game in every 5-6 games, and in that game he can produce eye-catching passes that mask alot of failures in other games.

Saying that - couple Shelvey with some of the other signings Newcastle are rumoured to be making, and all of a sudden they have a team that could quite easily be top half of the table. It only takes 3-4 £10m players to have a massive impact on a team, which is why its such a shame that our summer signings took time to settle.

Edited by GeordieVillan

3 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

When Newcastle signed him it stunk of panic-buy to me. They took one of the main midfielders from a fellow relegation rival in the hope its somehow going to drive them up the table, and arguably paid 30-50% too much. If Shelvey is that good, then why are Swansea sitting where they are?

He was very good on Saturday, but I am of the belief that he is the kind of player who has one very good game in every 5-6 games, and in that game he can produce eye-catching passes that mask alot of failures in other games.

Saying that - couple Shelvey with some of the other signing Newcastle are rumoured to be making, and all of a sudden they have a team that could quite easily be top half of the table. It only take 3-4 £10m players to have a massive impact on a team, which is why its such a shame that our summer signings took time to settle.

whilst that's true, our summer signings weren't additions to a team, they were an attempt at making a team in the first place. Now they are starting to look like there might be a team in there somewhere we would be incredibly stupid not to add 3 or 4 players at £10m a pop right now if they were available and would come. We all knwo that won't happen though.