Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

There was an article in the Obsever this morning about us, and it mentioned January transfers. It said that we should prioritise a short term fix to try and avoid relegation rather than try and add to the long term philosophy of the club's future... It's hard to know what's for the best but I would be inclined to agree. Not that I don't want to see a clear direction for the club with transfers, but if we get a relatively expensive but proven striker in January, that could make all the difference. Not that I think that would compromise the club's future, just that getting someone reasonably proven, And/or experiences player could really help out. But trying to find the next Benteke in January might prove a risk too far. That's if Randy opens his wallet at all, I really hope he does.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but Garde was quoted in an interview recently saying he doesn't want to buy any French players as there are enough in the team already.

I agree that we shouldn't solely look in France, but I also think we do need someone, be it a keeper or a striker, and I would hope that he wouldn't simply rule out a promising prospect just because he's French. I'm not worried though, I imagine he was just saying what he thinks makes sense at this moment in time, but come January, he'll aim to bring in what we need without any restrictions, nationality-wise.

• Like 2

Its obvious we need another striker as Kozak has disappeared, and Gabby is past it. It would be great if we could get Austin- but I can't see that happening. I would take Wilson on loan from United though. From the one game (!) so far it looks like Garde likes the ball to feet so another big target man looks unlikely.

I'd like us to get a tricky Payet/ Tevez/ Aguero type. Low centre of gravity, bundles of energy, bags of skill and an eye for a goal. He could replace Sinclair in yesterday's line up (sorry Scotty, I like you, but you're next for the chop).

We need Cheick Diabate. He's a monster, can finish, can take penalties like Balotelli. Would go a long way to filling the gap left by Benteke imo. I think he'd be so so good in the Premier League.

Here's an OYT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkg5lLz1zKY

Agreed, he's a beast and he's out of contract at the end of the season. I could see him doing the business for us and would be a decent cheap option in January.

• Like 1

Garde has been sitting around watching football and chatting to his high-flying football mates for over an ear.

I fancy he might have one or two ideas about where to find a woefully underrated inexpensive young beast of a striker, and one or two similar ideas as well. (Diabate might be one of them :) )

Edited by CrackpotForeigner