The Missing Thread

maqroll

If we're talking people, I miss my grandad terribly too. Lost him to cancer two years ago. A very youthful 73 years old, it was at least 20 years too soon. He was the best man I've ever met and it makes me very sad that my son will never get to meet him. 

same here but it was my gran and not grandad. she was without doubt the most amazing person i ever knew and she died of leukemia a year before my first was born which gutted me. part of me was relieved when she passed.

Good thread. I was thinking of starting a nostalgia thread but forgot!

What do I miss? I miss having a 28 inch waist, I miss being able to eat what i want and not put any weight on, I miss partying hard and having no side effects the next day. I miss epic nights out with my friends in the various clubs of Birmingham. I miss long hedonistic holidays with friends in Asia before anyone got married and had kids. I miss not being stressed out by work all the time.

I miss football when it was a game and not a business. When teams could mount a title challenge with a few decent purchases, an astute manager and a bit of luck. Football is a shadow of what it used to be. I miss a time when people weren't consumed by their smartphones all the time, I miss magazines, leafing through them in WHSmiths so I could read reviews of the latest films, or albums. Its not the same now, reading them online.

• Like 2

What do I miss? I miss having a 28 inch waist, I miss being able to eat what i want and not put any weight on, I miss partying hard and having no side effects the next day. I miss epic nights out with my friends in the various clubs of Birmingham. I miss long hedonistic holidays with friends in Asia before anyone got married and had kids. I miss not being stressed out by work all the time.

I miss football when it was a game and not a business. When teams could mount a title challenge with a few decent purchases, an astute manager and a bit of luck. Football is a shadow of what it used to be. I miss a time when people weren't consumed by their smartphones all the time, I miss magazines, leafing through them in WHSmiths so I could read reviews of the latest films, or albums. Its not the same now, reading them online.

I was just about to post, I miss the years 17+ going Birmingham the Dome, Ritzy, Central park, Exile, Bizy Lizy's before a club, dressed in shirt and tie. I miss the last dance with some random girl, the night home on the 104 night bus.

The 90's, the lads holidays to magaluf, ibiza, Aiya Napa 2000 garage music. Lifes to serious now, them days were days to definately remember an never forget

• Like 1

I was just about to post, I miss the years 17+ going Birmingham the Dome, Ritzy, Central park, Exile, Bizy Lizy's before a club, dressed in shirt and tie. I miss the last dance with some random girl, the night home on the 104 night bus.

The 90's, the lads holidays to magaluf, ibiza, Aiya Napa 2000 garage music. Lifes to serious now, them days were days to definately remember an never forget

Indeed! Some blasts from the past there. Circo followed by the Dome on a Thursday night - student night. Great times. Libertys on Hagley Road, Bonds in Hockley, Godskitchen at Air. Huge club nights used to be common in Brum (Sundissential, Wobble, Miss Moneypennys, Q Club, etc) not sure it still happens to the same degree? Where do people go now? Brum is wonderful for pubs and places to eat but what about proper clubbing?

• Like 1

Occasionally Birmingham. 

I get that sometimes. Then I go back there for a weekend and think "**** me...this is shit! There's hardly anything decent to do, no good nightlife, and barely any hot women".

Then after a few months I'll strangely miss it a bit again. 

I think that is to be expected when you are coming from one of the World's best cities. The choice of things to do in London is endless. 

"Godskitchen at Air. Huge club nights used to be common in Brum (Sundissential, Wobble, Miss Moneypennys, Q Club, etc)."

Ahhh mate...I've got loads of memories from those places. Great times. Also, Republica at Bakers with pre-drinks at Stoodi Baker's and Some Place Else. The Arcadian when it was new and good. SLAG at the Steering Wheel. 52 Degrees North (once won bar of the year). 

When you could go out with a tenner, drink water all night and come home with change eh eh am I right lads?

On that, drum n bass, but the good type, when raves were raves

• Like 1

"Godskitchen at Air. Huge club nights used to be common in Brum (Sundissential, Wobble, Miss Moneypennys, Q Club, etc)."Ahhh mate...I've got loads of memories from those places. Great times. Also, Republica at Bakers with pre-drinks at Stoodi Baker's and Some Place Else. The Arcadian when it was new and good. SLAG at the Steering Wheel. 52 Degrees North (once won bar of the year). 

When you could go out with a tenner, drink water all night and come home with change eh eh am I right lads?

I know it's playing up to my old gimmer stereotype, but I genuinely can remember when you could have a decent (seven or eight pints) night out for a quid. Of course, my dad thought that was an outrageous amount. Wonderful thing, inflation.

• Like 2

"Godskitchen at Air. Huge club nights used to be common in Brum (Sundissential, Wobble, Miss Moneypennys, Q Club, etc)."Ahhh mate...I've got loads of memories from those places. Great times. Also, Republica at Bakers with pre-drinks at Stoodi Baker's and Some Place Else. The Arcadian when it was new and good. SLAG at the Steering Wheel. 52 Degrees North (once won bar of the year). 

I know it's playing up to my old gimmer stereotype, but I genuinely can remember when you could have a decent (seven or eight pints) night out for a quid. Of course, my dad thought that was an outrageous amount. Wonderful thing, inflation.

A shilling a pint eh Mike? 

A shilling a pint eh Mike? 

Your maths is worse than mine. :)

Varied between half a crown and three bob a pint when I started drinking. OK, OK if you must, less than 15p a pint.

EDIT: That was for bitter, in the lounge bar (the posh area - what my dad would have called the smoke room). Would be a bit cheaper in the public bar. Even cheaper for mild. Lager was regarded as a woman's drink.

I'm missing a CD I can't find it anywhere. It has sold for £50 on discogs and is only available at that price on their at the moment. The worst thing is I had two copies but gave one away. Gah.

Edited by useless

Nightclubs are shit. Full of "macho" wannabes who strut around peacocking.

I miss the 6 week holidays, quad skating everywhere, my barracuda dropzone bike, my old football team i played for from 93-03, playing football in the field out the back of my garden in the 7 a side pitch we made with goals and nets, Britpop music, Cornwall every year, bodyboarding alllllll day.

Life was good, but it's better now because of my wife and son - who i absolutely adore. I also have great friends who i do a lot with and I'm proud to call them friends. Work could be a bit better, but I'm extremely content now, more so than I've ever been i think.

Kids are the best part, no lie.

• Like 3

I miss my E plate 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI

Shit off a shovel.

80's hot hatches! Mate of mine had a Renault 5 turbo - flimsy build quality but went like stink!

I had an 89 registered BMW 325i sport. Loved that car. Was rapid as well, much faster than the 328i I had afterwards. There seems to be no identity with cars now, a lot adopt the same cookie cutter approach

Not my car but the same model:

1989-1991-bmw-325i-sport-e30-3361_3522_9

I think those 80's pocket rockets were free of all those nuisance bits of regulation about crush zones, safety cages, air bags, exhaust emissions.

We had a tiny little Citroen AX. Absolute piece of crap build quality and styling, thin bendy plastic front wings, doors and bonnet. Rear seat was just a shaped piece of expanded foam secured to the floor pan with velcro. It had a 1400cc engine and an exhause that was just a piece of straight empty pipe from the engine.

Ridiculously fast. Like a death wish in white plastic.