The Missing Thread

maqroll

Who/What/Where do you miss?

I was just thinking about how much I loved going to the newsstand to buy the latest Goal/442 or When Saturday Comes...

With everything available online in almost real time, the magazines are made somewhat irrelevant now.

But I miss the excitement of seeing who would be on the new cover, taking the time to savor each page when I got home.

I know I can still get the hard copies, but it's just not the same now. 

/tears

Who/What/Where do you miss?

I was just thinking about how much I loved going to the newsstand to buy the latest Goal/442 or When Saturday Comes...

With everything available online in almost real time, the magazines are made somewhat irrelevant now.

But I miss the excitement of seeing who would be on the new cover, taking the time to savor each page when I got home.

I know I can still get the hard copies, but it's just not the same now. 

/tears

In a similar vein, I miss buying Heroes & Villains at the match, which is no longer printed (just the fanzine limpid, not the website, which obviously isn't a patch on VT!).

Occasionally Birmingham. Interacting with Brummies on here helps me get over that though, when I remember what a bunch of words removed we all are. 

Football pre Sky.

Standing in The Holte End.

I miss the days when you could ride a bike on a road without fear of being wiped out by a woman in a 4 x 4 and without the need to wear a helmet and look like a word removed dressed in Lycra

I miss the days when unruly children got a clip around the ear from a teacher and didn't do it again rather than todays' society where kids have to be told 47 times and still do it anyway

I miss the days where people didn't wear large headphones that make them look like a clearing in the woods everywhere they went 

I miss the days when you could travel in public transport without having to listen to someones phone conversation over the top of the conversation you were having with your mate

• Like 1

I miss the days when unruly children got a clip around the ear from a teacher and didn't do it again rather than todays' society where kids have to be told 47 times and still do it anyway

I miss the days when a man could teach his wife  what happens when you talk back. 

Oh, violence. 

I miss the days when a man could teach his wife  what happens when you talk back. 

Oh, violence. 

that wasn't what I said at all .. I always say you can judge a lot about a persons character by their actions , I guess we will see if you apologise or not

I said a clip around the ear not attack them with a machete ... my school days  you told a teacher to jog on or you strung little Johnny up by his pants from a tree that was how you got dealt with ..and it worked  ... you can try rewarding unruly children with some hippy mantra if you wish but at my school they would have taken your flower and shoved it up the peace doves arse

I'm with tony on this, when I was a kid if i did something at school I went home terrified of telling my mom, I was more scared of her finding out than I was of anything the teachers could do to me, she didn't go down there to complain or blame the teacher or blame the school or blame the kid I was sat next to, she blamed me and let me know about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

working in a public facing role, I often conclude that many people could do with a bit more than a clip round the lughole tbh. Students who mistake a library for a bar, for example, could do with a swift kick to the groin and gaffer tape to the mouth so that actual students keen on studying can get on in a bit of peace and quiet. Obviously the more advisable route is to ask the unruly elements to vacate the premises forthwith, but that sense of immediate satisfaction of silencing somone who bally well ought to know better without being needed to be reminded of it is deeply ingrained.

And there's a massive gap between a clip round the head and actual domestic violence. I probably wouldn't do the former myself anyway, my Dad only did it to me once and I think he regretted it, not that I ever judged him the lesser for it, I was probably being a clearing in the woods. But come on, we've all been there in a supermarket / shop / bar and the little tyke is screaming his bollocks off, knocking things over and that primeval inner desire to think "oh will someone just shut / punch that littler **** up".

to be clear I am not advocating actually committing the acts, just that,for a brief fantasy in the mind it seems the simplest way of communicating your displeasure and irritation with said arse.

I miss playing football. I miss the cameradery, the laughs, the awful windy pitches on Billseley Common and the unmistakable smell of the changing rooms. [\jumpersforgoalposts]

And on a related note, I miss not aching from arthritis after a ten minute walk.

• Like 1

Oh, violence. 

that wasn't what I said at all .. I always say you can judge a lot about a persons character by their actions , I guess we will see if you apologise or not

Apologise for what, exactly. I was making a rhetorical point . In my book, giving a child a clip is an act of violence, and violence against children for me is even worse than violence towards women. 

It wasn't meant as a peronal accusation towards you, but it is a subject I care strongly about both as a teacher and as a father. Hitting a child, no matter how innocent you may think it is, is never okay. It is wrong, lazy and - in the long term - counter productive. Discipline is a big part of my profession - without it, I can't do my job - and I happen to be damn good at what I do.