The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

For the southerners amongst you, I went out for a team meal at the Golden Lion in Southwick on Wednesday.  Outstanding food and the place has history...

southwick_goldenlion2.jpg

Edited by trekka

On 8/25/2017 at 22:04, coda said:

New one just opened called the Canal House. You can swim to it from the back of the Tap & Spile.

Canal-House-exterior.jpg (615×409)

Never got to this one unfortunately, which is a shame as it looks great.

Stuck to a few familiars; Edmunds, Briar Rose (for grub), Old Joint Stock (nabbed a prime spot in the beer garden), The Wellington, The Victoria, Keg & Grill (more food) before heading to the Arcadian and hitting a few places before ending up in Indi Bar trying to look cool with the young beautiful people, and failing miserably!

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

@dAVe80 Managed to get to see some of York's boozers today, after missing out last time.

the-golden-fleece-appeared.jpg

2202ee8066d05d87fe7e79b7466c88b3.jpg

golden-lion.jpg

All very good :D

Three cracking boozers in a lovely little city. Passed through York on the train yesterday actually, and my train was sat on the platform for 10 mins.  I was considering jumping off, and going to the York Tap, but I was already well oiled from the cricket.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've mentioned this one before... Bulls Head, Bishopgate Street (just down from Pryzm at top of Broad Street). Went for a quiz night there recently and it is an oasis at that end of Brum.

Great ales, really good bar staff and nicely decorated inside. Well worth a look if you are in the vicinity. 

City+Tavern%252C+Birmingham+2017.JPG

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

They look great boozers. 

They were. Apparently Russ Abbott pops in the Blue Bell when he is in the vicinity. 

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Went up to York with Solihull Moors last season. So many top pubs in close proximity of eachother.

I went to to see them play FC United of Manchester earlier this season. Perfect football away day... sight seeing, great pubs, fish n chips and a short walk to the ground. Shame they will be moving to an out of town ground soon. Another old city centre ground demolished and turned into new homes in the name of 'progress'. 

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

They were. Apparently Russ Abbott pops in the Blue Bell when he is in the vicinity. 

I went to to see them play FC United of Manchester earlier this season. Perfect football away day... sight seeing, great pubs, fish n chips and a short walk to the ground. Shame they will be moving to an out of town ground soon. Another old city centre ground demolished and turned into new homes in the name of 'progress'. 

I wasnt aware of the plans with York. Such a shame, a ground full of character and a top away end. Open terrace, stood in the rain, passing around a hip flask. Cant beat non-league.

• Like 1

We really need a VT Good Pub Guide app which alerts you whenever you're near a pub that's been recommended in this thread.

Here's one that's a five minute walk from me, the Shrewsbury Arms in Albrighton. A Grade II listed building, supposedly late 15th/early 16th century (at least according to my quick investigation-might be a bit more recent).

Sort of half dining/half pub, it's the most upmarket drinking establishment near me. Good food, a couple of ales & ciders available and a few lagers for the likes of me.

Nice atmosphere and the pub section can be quite cosy. I'd say it was a good pub for a date.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone got any recommendations for pubs in Wolverhampton?

There for a night out on Friday with work and a mate and I want to grab food and a couple of beers before hand.

I've only been out there once so don't really have any idea. Found a couple of nice places but they are a taxi ride away. Would prefer something right in the centre as staying in a hotel so would prefer walking distance.

A google has just thrown up dozens and dozens of curry houses and takeaway places. 

(normally I'd love a curry, but don't want curry breath on a night out!)

Edited by Stevo985

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Great Western round the back of the station is pretty good (assuming you like proper Ale (Hanson's). Clarendon Arms near the Banks's Brewery on Tettenhall Road. Most of the pubs I used to knock about in were out of the centre in Tettenhall and Claregate. I just fancy a pint, now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

As per blandy's post, the Great Western is a decent shout. I've not been before but I've heard that the Blue Brick is alright for food (it's situated near the premier inn and the great western). If you're just looking for food to sustain you, there's always the wetherspoons "moon under water".

Pubs in the centre of town, to be honest I only ever really drink in the Posada, I'd say it's the best pub in the centre. The Lych Gate is a bit of old boys pub but it's ok. Slater's bar is good, small but lively - a bit "trendier".

There are other pubs but they're a bit further out of the centre.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

As per blandy's post, the Great Western is a decent shout. I've not been before but I've heard that the Blue Brick is alright for food (it's situated near the premier inn and the great western). If you're just looking for food to sustain you, there's always the wetherspoons "moon under water".

Pubs in the centre of town, to be honest I only ever really drink in the Posada, I'd say it's the best pub in the centre. The Lych Gate is a bit of old boys pub but it's ok. Slater's bar is good, small but lively - a bit "trendier".

There are other pubs but they're a bit further out of the centre.

Been to Lychgate before. It's alright. wouldn't eat there. And desperately trying to avoid Wetherspoons.

This is just for the pre-night couple of beers and a decent meal. I'm sure the night out is already planned, i'll be just a sheep for that

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Been to Lychgate before. It's alright. wouldn't eat there. And desperately trying to avoid Wetherspoons.

This is just for the pre-night couple of beers and a decent meal. I'm sure the night out is already planned, i'll be just a sheep for that

Fair enough. I genuinely can't think of a decent pub to get food in Wolverhampton (that isn't a curry house). If it was me, I'd try either the blue brick or maybe the sunbeam which is part of the hungry horse chain.

If you've got any say in where the rest of the flock go on the night itself, the Cuban bar is ok and Dog & Doublet is a good, lively place to end the night.

• Like 1

Â