The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

It's shameful how few of these pubs I've heard of. When I'm next in Brum I'll try to sample a couple of them.

I'm always looking out for pubs that are somehow noteworthy- historically or otherwise.

I've done Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham (supposedly the oldest pub, not sure if it is), I've done the pubs with both the shortest & longest names (both in Stalybridge) and Guy Fawkes' birthplace in York. 

Anyone got any suggestions for pubs along these lines?

Highest pub in the UK is worth a visit. Tan Hill Inn, North Yorkshire:

external-pub-sign-is.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure I've had the pleasure of that one. I've been to The Clifton in Sedgley.  

For me, the most soul destroying Wetherspoons is The Moon Under Water in Wolverhampton. 

However, it does make me smile that it takes it's name from Orwell's essay on the most ideal pub. Not totally sure they followed his criteria to the letter.

It's shameful how few of these pubs I've heard of. When I'm next in Brum I'll try to sample a couple of them.

I'm always looking out for pubs that are somehow noteworthy- historically or otherwise.

I've done Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham (supposedly the oldest pub, not sure if it is), I've done the pubs with both the shortest & longest names (both in Stalybridge) and Guy Fawkes' birthplace in York. 

Anyone got any suggestions for pubs along these lines?

The Old Crown in Digbeth. Birmingham's oldest pub apparently (est 1368)

old-crown-brum-optimised.jpg

the-old-crown-495944405.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Can confirm have been in all three 'spoons mentioned above and they are the biggest shitholes you would imagine

I'm going to defend Spoony's. They always have a good selection of ales and lager, they are clean, the food is decent and overall the price is very reasonable. Unfortunately they do attract some scrag ends of the community but what can you do about that? :)

• Like 1

The Victora - John Bright Street.

Went here on Wednesday. Nice place and interesting decor. My mate commented that it was a bit pricey (£4.20 for a pint of Heineken) b

victoria.png

the-victoria-birmingham.jpg

the-victoria-birmingham.jpg

the-victoria-birmingham-5.jpg?w=436&h=29

Can confirm have been in all three 'spoons mentioned above and they are the biggest shitholes you would imagine

I'm going to defend Spoony's. They always have a good selection of ales and lager, they are clean, the food is decent and overall the price is very reasonable. Unfortunately they do attract some scrag ends of the community but what can you do about that? [emoji4]

No arguments about selections available, I agree, but the Spoons in Dudley is literally one of the biggest stinkholes I've ever been in

The Old Crown in Digbeth is one I've been in as it happens, went in there after the cup final. 

The Victoria looks like a striking place.

I was in the Rose Villa around the Jewellery Quarter for New Year's. Memory was a bit hazy, but I remember it being a good atmosphere.

There are a good few cocktail places where the female and flamboyant male members of your party can indulge

The Island Bar (as Pongo has already said), Nuvo, Lost and Found, Jekyll and Hyde, Gingers, Bodega, The Botanist and loads more. You won't be short of options, 

Angel Inn in Lichfield is a newish place that's great (couldn't find a better picture!)

angel-inn-market-street-lichfield-staffo

Łódź has some great places.

Biblioteka is probably my favourite. You'd miss it if you didn't know it was there.

fmb05.jpg

FOT_7763.JPG

Cafe Wolność was my local. Looks absolutely shit from the outside but the beer is cheap and it's cool inside. And the views from the balcony are great.

570e97036c0b5a34.jpgz15385423Q,Cafe-Wolnosc.jpg3072010104_7246d7a108_o.jpg

Edited by StefanAVFC

I went to the Angel Inn a few weeks back Stefan, was good. Didn't realise it was new? What was it before? (I'm not a regular in the Lichfield pubs)

Also went to the Kings Head, they had some live music on. Very enjoyable. 

Some more great Brummie pubs (we really are spoilt for choice)

The Rose Villa Tavern - Jewellery Quarter

Food-pubs-in-Birmingham-28.jpg

the-rose-villa-tavern.jpg

rvt-2.jpg

The Lord Clifden - Jewellery Quarter

the-lord-clifden.jpg

Llord-Clif-Brum-Bblog.jpg

photo-4-400x400.jpg

Â