The VillaTalk Good Pub Guide

Xela

The Bull & Bladder in Brierley Hill is the HQ of Bathams, and quickly became a favourite pilgrimage when visiting my folks.

My local :thumb:

Geographically, shouldn't it be the Corn Exchange? I can see you drinking in there mate, Carling tops and Blue WKD [emoji1]

I'm going to punch you in the baby maker the next time I see you, you cheeky scamp :D

• Like 1

The Bull & Bladder in Brierley Hill is the HQ of Bathams, and quickly became a favourite pilgrimage when visiting my folks. 

My local :thumb: 

Geographically, shouldn't it be the Corn Exchange? I can see you drinking in there mate, Carling tops and Blue WKD [emoji1]

I'm going to punch you in the baby maker the next time I see you, you cheeky scamp [emoji3]

Ha, I'll be over again soon with my runners mate, normal life resumes from next week onwards

In London I'd recommend none to a West Midlander. They have NO IDEA how to keep their beer. Nice pubs everywhere, sure. Shit beer.

The Trafalgar, South Wimbledon.

It's like being in someone elderly's sitting room.

Beer's good though.

Going back to Snobs, great memories!. Probably the club I've been to most in my life (that, and the Dome!). Had some good times in there. I think I went most Fridays for a period of about 2 years when I first started at my current job! Smells Like Teen Spirit would play about 3 times every night and a mini mosh would take place on the dancefloor!

• Like 1

Other favourites of mine in Brum

Lost and Found - Bennetts Hill

21364415.jpg

The-Lost-and-Found-Review.jpg

The Shakespeare - by New St Station 

the-shakespeare-birmingham-14a-lrg.jpg

The Jeckyll & Hyde (already mentioned by lapal) in Steelhouse Lane

unnamed-41.jpg

jekyllhyde.jpg

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

Jim of the mills pub in a village called Upperchurch just outside Thurles Co.Tipperary 

Guys house opens up only on a Thursday for an almighty session I mean I have walked out of there at sunrise and the music is still going, Only one tap Guinness, keg cooled in the stream out the back, they have bottles of various beers & The black pudding sandwiches made and given out to keep the men fuelled 

millext.jpgimg_2064.jpg

• Like 2

More of a bar but the Pure Bar in Brum is nice just because of the amazing beer they serve. Even if it's not the most old authentic place in the world, all Purity beers are amazing, even the lagers.

Edgbaston Tap before the cricket. 

It's an absolute shit hole, but the beer is a world better than the stuff you get inside the stadium [emoji38]

Are you seriously saying the dross in that dump is better than an a pint of Marstons Old World or pedigree inside the stadium??

Edgbaston Tap before the cricket. 

It's an absolute shit hole, but the beer is a world better than the stuff you get inside the stadium [emoji38]

Are you seriously saying the dross in that dump is better than an a pint of Marstons Old World or pedigree inside the stadium??

Yes.  That's exactly what I'm saying.

For Brum I'll go for the 'Post Office Vaults'...

2582a.jpeg

My current closest city of Oxford the 'Eagle and Child' (Bird and Baby), Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and their fellow inklings meetings are commemorated inside and they do fantastic in house pork scratchings.

the-eagle-and-child.jpg

Going overseas, Szimpla in Budapest is one of my favourite drinking establishments on earth, if a little tourist heavy.  More of a ruin bar than pub but I'm including it anyway...

cab5efd898d7865c3a60b1ee567546f4.jpg

7899897116_9f1aec96b9_z.jpg

• Like 2

More of a bar but the Pure Bar in Brum is nice just because of the amazing beer they serve. Even if it's not the most old authentic place in the world, all Purity beers are amazing, even the lagers.

It is a nice place and agree with you on Purity. Loving Mad Goose at present. The bar snacks are pretty good there as well.. scratchings and scotch eggs were consumed last time I was there

It's shameful how few of these pubs I've heard of. When I'm next in Brum I'll try to sample a couple of them.

I'm always looking out for pubs that are somehow noteworthy- historically or otherwise.

I've done Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham (supposedly the oldest pub, not sure if it is), I've done the pubs with both the shortest & longest names (both in Stalybridge) and Guy Fawkes' birthplace in York. 

Anyone got any suggestions for pubs along these lines?

And if you'd like to see portraits of Marc Bolan, Sid Vicious, John Lennon, Freddie Mercury and Amy Winehouse dressed in Tudor gear set in a 15th century building, I'd recommend the Henry Tudor House, also in Shrewsbury. 

image.jpg

Â