Ratings and Reactions: Villa - Stoke

limpid

Match Poll  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

If the answer to the question is Sam Allardyce I dont want to hear the question!

I want someone here who is going to make us into the type of team we deserve. 

Go balls out for the top, De Boer and Klopp are both available. Give either a contract they cant turn down.

Deluded

• Like 1

If the answer to the question is Sam Allardyce I dont want to hear the question!

Go balls out for the top, De Boer and Klopp are both available. Give either a contract they cant turn down.

We're not in a position to give either of them the Real MAdrid job. Allardyce would be one hell of a catch in our current position.

I have so say and I am finally now saying it based on watching the game today.....SHERWOOD OUT!! He is so out of his depth its embarrassing.

Deluded

I appreciate the elquent answer.

If Southampton can get Koeman we should aim for more than the usual suspects.

If we dont we will just find ourselves back in this position in the next few years.

Its called ambition!!!

lets see/hear what shit comes out of his mouth after this spineless display...

the pre season optimism has been drained out of me....at least i wont be depressed next week end with it being internationals..

Fox has to act quickly, eat humble pie, sack the buffoon before the season disappears altogether 

What I saw today could have been  20 years ago and watching ray wilkins , forward movement down to walking pace and always taking the easy turn backwards. Hughes couldn't believe his luck a poor stoke side made to look in control.Where was the pace going forward making those lumps turn and defend , we put everything in front of them and made them comfortable, time to get players back and organised with no threat or danger. This was a dreadful game and the tim machine thought he deserved a draw what world are you in.

I have been a fan of Sherwood since he came in and made me believe things would change, but I've reached the point that I think the club need to think about replacing him.  The team selection in the first half was just asking for trouble – wrong players, no genuine attacking threat, playing too deep, just inviting them on.  It was not all Sherwood.  Half the players need a rocket up their arse - just jogging around in the first half like it was a bloody friendly – no attacking aggression, minimal no movement and no support for each other when in possession.  We are now so scared of loosing we have to go a goal behind before we play (Liverpool again).  Gill and Grealish made a difference but too late.  Also, why the hell did we not play Ayew on the right (SHA game?) and Grealish on the left?  Square pegs round holes again.  Totally gutted.  Referee a joke.  Best players for me were Richards, Veretout and Gill; Gill should start.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Gutted.

How much longer do we have to put up with this? Every week it's the same - Ridiculous team selection, useless tactics, inability to play 2 consistent halves of football, soft goals conceded. Everybody can see what needs to be done apart from the people with the power. Tim is not a Premier League manager. He did his job last season by giving the squad a bit of a boost (eventually) and keeping us up, but he's been utterly dreadful so far and has been outclassed by nearly every manager we've faced. I want to just ignore it and not care, but it's difficult to just switch it off when our club consistently finds new ways to embarrass itself.

Sack this clown now before it's too late.

It shows how far we have fallen when I think we would do well to get someone of the callobrah of 'big Sam'

4 points adrift after 8 games, Christ!

its not about caliber, its about big sam doing what he does in the same way that pulis does what he does, i dont want another gamble, i dont want another 2-3 years of being shit, if someone offered us fat sam, finishing 12th for 3 years on the trot and being boring as ****, at the moment id take it

no more gambles, no more projects, im only after stability on the pitch and a complete upheaval off it

• Like 2

We looked at our most dangerous when the clock was running out, with five minutes to go and into the added time.

Essentially, we played better when we played without any organisation than when we looked like we were trying to figure out the managers instruction. I think that tells you a lot.

• Like 2

He's lost me to today.

He set us up with 3-5-2 and while everyone in pre-match thread was going mental, I thought - "ok, he's being pragmatic, he's gone solid, with 3 all-rounders in midfield, and Rudy and Sinclair up front". I could see what he was trying to do, and it was ballsy to leave out Gil and Grealish, but I could kind of see why he had done it. He wanted to keep it tight and nick a much needed win and hopefully build from it. As I said in the match thread, IMO we were marginally on top in the first half - Arnoutovic was their only threat, but he was generally running into traffic in midfield when he cut inside, and I genuinely think we could have kept a clean sheet. Crespo looked decent as part of the 3 and Lescott was ok-ish compared to previous games. The midfield 3 actually seemed to have a decent balance and were probing ok.

Then it goes wrong. As the fans wanted (certainly those on this board), off goes Lescott and on goes Grealish. Immediately we look more attacking, but we are wide open at the back. 5 minutes into the the second half I predicted we would lose because of this (although I did say 2-0). The goal was not a shock, and was incredibly poor. Regardless of the defenders positioning, where the hell was our midfield? Johnson has acres of space with no-one putting any pressure on him at all. Further subs are made and we throw everything forward. As usual Villa are great at going forward when they have nothing to lose, but show no urgency or attacking intent when the game is 0-0.

At full time, my wife turns to me and says "why do you even bother watching anymore, you always lose". She's **** right, thats why its not funny!

I've never wanted rid of a manager like this before (not Lambert or McLeish or anyone), but he's really lost me today. I feel sorry for him as he has literally tried every possible formation and selection of players and he just can't get it to work. Barring a collapse at Leicester, I think he might have hit the winning formula, but he didn't stick with it the next game to give it a proper chance. 

What makes it more painful is that this is actually a very decent squad on paper, certainly good enough to be comfortably safe,  and Sherwood is the man who has brought alot of these players in! We genuinely have proper players in most positions, barring a really good all-round striker, but we seem to have a totally different set up every week. The players look lost now. 

However given our forthcoming fixtures, there is probably no point in changing manager now, as they will struggle to get anything from our next fixtures and the new manager bounce will be wasted. We are going to have Sherwood until the Newcastle game at least - even if we don't win a game before then. Hopefully he pulls a rabbit out of the hat and saves his job and our season before then.

I've never ever said this about any manager of ours previously - SHERWOOD OUT.

p.s. Everyone was average in terms of the players, I didn't think there was any stinking performances or stand-outs, although Grealish was very poor today when he came on, he looked lazy and sloppy, and Gil on the other hand looked great - bags of energy and drive. But I guess if you play both of these guys every week, at least one will play ok.

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 2

We are progressing well season after season... downwards.

Now we slip right into the relegation places at the start of the season, unlike previous seasons where we started making our way there mid season after starting well.