Ratings and Reactions: Villa - Stoke

limpid

Match Poll  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

To be honest we have the right players we just have the wrong manager. If he got the sack tonight I wouldn't give a flying ****. Sam Alardyce, whilst not the guy to win us anything, will at least get us up the table and away from relegation.

• Like 1

Dire result. Looking very much like a team that is going to be relegated. Stoke were poor and we lost to them at home, without scoring a goal and barely managing a shot. I'd say it can't get worse but that is not true because we manage to find new lows each season.

Utterly clueless management - terrible team selection and formation AGAIN??!

We have not time to lose, sack this calamitous word removed now, and set aside £50m for January, because it will be a drop in the ocean compared to what relegation will cost you Lerner you tw*t

Baffling team selection, crap performance , stupid substitutions, worst start to top flight season in our history. We will go down under this clown. Sack him now and give someone the chance of coming in now while we have the international break.

all the people saying give it time it will come good, we'll be adrift by the end of November it will be too late for any thing to come good we will need champions league form to stay up. Sherwood well and truly out useless clearing 

• Like 2

1 win, 1 draw in opening 8 games?

No idea what team will be picked week in week out - formation AND players.

Strange starting formations and too slow to make tactical adjustments. Even slower to make subs, usually makes the wrong subs too. Tries to change game after we've effectively been beaten.

Generally out-thought by every manager we've come up against.

Not just a reaction to this game but applicable to nearly all of our games this season. Hopefully Fox has already been sounding people out to replace Tim, because this team shouldn't be where it is right now.

• Like 1

It's time for the club to act. Tim kept us up and he will get a handsome pay off for that.

Unfortunately he is way out if his depth here. I would normally favour giving a manager time, but he has shown no signs of learning on the job.

Sam is probably the safe option.

I hope Chelsea get a cricket score against us. While we keep losing by the odd goal Lerner (being a complete muppet) will believe that we are close to turning the corner. What we need is a couple of back to back hidings and hopefully then Sherwood will get the sack.

• Like 1

Going into a must-win game, many managers would have made the mistake of playing their strongest team. Not so Tactics Tim. That's why he's the man to lead us to glory in the Championship.

Bringing on Gil, Gresford and Ayew made a big difference, and might have worked had Stoke not already scored by then and shut up shop just like they always do when they get ahead. We needed attacking players when we weren't behind. Lescott has been consistently terrible since coming here, and Gana hasn't been the same since his injury. The defending for their goal was terrible, absolutely awful, although I thought that in general Richards did well (should have scored, though). Hutton is great at getting forwards but his crosses remain 99% useless. How Westwood keeps taking corners I don't know - I'd be too embarrassed to keep taking them if they kept turning out like that. Too much of the play was backwards, with players ignoring forward runs in favour of safe, easy passes.

The worst thing for me is knowing that Stoke were easily beatable if we'd played the right players in the right way from the off. That period where we were attacking and pinning Stoke back? It should have been like that from the off. Looking at our forthcoming games and I don't know where the next win is coming from; in fact, with things the way they are I can easily see us not getting another point until Newcastle, and that's ten games away. I have no faith whatsoever in Sherwood to turn this around.

• Like 2

McLeish, Lambert and now Shitewood..

What did we do to deserve this?! I've never been a fan of removing a manager. Particularly after such a short time, but there are no signs whatsoever that things will change. We have the majority of the season left to do something now.

As previously mentioned, we have the players. I would support Big Sam turning up tomorrow to sort this out. We shouldn't be here.

That was shit. Again.

Sherwood left our best players on the bench. Again.

Gil our best player by far. Again.

Gana was tripe. Westwood was shite. Lescott waste of space.

Sherwood needs to leave before its too **** late.

• Like 1

3 of next 4 are Chelsea, Tottenham & Man City (and fourth is Swansea). We needed all three points today and should have gone for it. Sometimes a draw is good enough but wouldn't have been today. Should have started Grealish and/or Gil to have at least some creativity. I personally would also have picked Sanchez.

I  don't actually even know if Clark is injured, and was Lescott taken off because of injury, but in any case we lost the final 1 point because of Crespo. I'm not judging him yet and overall I don't think he was too bad but had we had any other centre back pair on the pitch, that goal wouldn't have happened. If you play your first premier league game as defender it's not good idea to move you to a different position in middle of game. If Lescott was injured and we didn't have other options because Clark wasn't on bench, I think Sherwood should have also brought in Sanchez at half time and played him with Richards.

Even if we win at Chelsea (big ******* laugh) we will still be in the bottom 3. We are a joke club and I am so glad that I gave up my season ticket 2 years ago. I have found so much more to life than spunking hard earned cash up the wall on rubbish like AVFC.

all the people saying give it time it will come good, we'll be adrift by the end of November it will be too late for any thing to come good we will need champions league form to stay up. Sherwood well and truly out useless clearing 

I count exactly zero people on this thread saying "give it time it will come good" or even supporting Sherwood. The vast majority of people who have tried to give Sherwood a measure of support this season, almost always with grave qualifications, were sceptical at best when he came on last year. The gung ho Tim's Army types are long gone, from what I can see.