Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

Didn't Ann Coulter claim that white Americans have the same murder rate as Belgium, and that therefore it is not a gun problem but a demographic problem?

My non-scientific anecdotal 'belief' is that wealthy well educated black americans from nice places rarely get involved in gang shoot outs.

Didn't Ann Coulter claim that white Americans have the same murder rate as Belgium, and that therefore it is not a gun problem but a demographic problem?

My non-scientific anecdotal 'belief' is that wealthy well educated black americans from nice places rarely get involved in gang shoot outs.

Unless they get drafted into the NFL...

Huge drug problem in Chicago right now, with Heroin making a particularly nasty comeback. It's the primary Mexican/SA distribution center for the entire midwest. Mix this in with the insane opiod abuse and meth/hash etc. and the amount of $$ to be made are frightening.

It's really tough to see anything happening over here. When those kids were executed in Sandy Hook and absolutely nothing was done about it...

It's been done to death on this forum so I'll get in early with the obvious reply to the many Brits on here who think it's a simple solution of banning guns to stop people shooting each other:  It's quite difficult to ban guns in a country where they have been legal since day one, some 300 million are currently in circulation and the industry is worth some $6bn a year.  The USA has got a problem that it basically cannot solve. 

I thought the $6bn generated figure was just tax? It's a $50bn a year industry employing around 250k people

It's much like smoking in this country, the government will attack it constantly, put new legislation is place and stricter measures to try and reduce it but they'll never make it illegal full stop, they're too dependant on it

I'd be interested to know if any of the bigger munitions companies are helping with the funding of the new wave of presidential campaigns and what the reaction is to that, I can imagine there's a ton of lobbying involved

America is a violent country, it was formed through violence, it was forged through violence, its history is dominated by violence, and today it polices through violence. I don't know what the answer is. I don't think we'll ever see an end to it.

Give everybody ecstasy.

Guns are what beat the British,

I think it was more about relying on the French to bail you out  ..imagine the shame 

Yeah, huh? lolz. Just take the larger point, Tony FFS

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

America is a violent country, it was formed through violence, it was forged through violence, its history is dominated by violence, and today it polices through violence. I don't know what the answer is. I don't think we'll ever see an end to it.

I totally agree and for me this starts from the top down. To be honest, I wouldn't want a hostile encounter with the police in most parts of the US.

There's a relationship between civilians and police that simply doesn't exist here. I've seen videos on liveleak such as the Sandra Bland one where she was basically assaulted and completely mistreated for not acting like a robot and succumbing to the officers request. There's tons more like it as well (mostly black civilians against white cops I must add)

There's definitely a tension and a more hostile nature over in the states, especially when it comes to race relations. People who want to bear arms to protect their family and themselves in some cases are not just gun fanatics, I can actually sympathise with them in some ways, if you can't trust the police to treat you fairly then who can you trust?

Edited by AVFCDAN

It's been done to death on this forum so I'll get in early with the obvious reply to the many Brits on here who think it's a simple solution of banning guns to stop people shooting each other:  It's quite difficult to ban guns in a country where they have been legal since day one, some 300 million are currently in circulation and the industry is worth some $6bn a year.  The USA has got a problem that it basically cannot solve. 

I thought the answer was more guns?

I've always thought that teachers in America should be armed and trained to defend their pupils

I know teachers can be crazy as well but at least their background can be vetted somewhat 

If America are not willing to get rid of the guns they should at least level the playing field so staff have a means of fighting back and defending their pupils.

Edited by AshVilla

I've always thought that teachers in America should be armed and trained to defend their pupils

I know teachers can be crazy as well for example the dunblane shooter but at least there background can be vetted somewhat 

If America are not willing to get rid of the guns they should at least level the playing field so staff have a means of fighting back and defending their pupils.

Hamilton wasn't a teacher.

• Like 1

Â